Question Will a Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL Car Seat RF in a 2005 Toyota Corolla?

C

cgreat

We are looking at getting a Radian XTSL Car seat for my son who weighs almost 17 lbs at 4 months. The car seat will need to RF in the outboard position in a 2005 Toyota Corolla and a 2008 subaru impreza. Will the Radian XTSL work or should we look for a different convertible car seat?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi there! I've got lots of Radian-in-Corolla experience.

It will fit, the install will take a bit of work but not too much (I recommend seatbelt rather than LATCH for a more upright install; you'll need to twist the buckle stalk as close to 3 times as you can, which I think is generally 2 1/2, and it will tilt a bit but that's not dangerous. For a more upright install, have someone stand behind the seat and push up and in, while you push down at the feet area of the seat while tightening. You'll need to really work to get that last "click" of the retractor to get it tight, but it's entirely doable. Compress the seat beneath where the belt feeds in to make that a bit easier.)

It will push the seat for the passenger in front forward a bit; make sure the seat is as upright as is tolerable as that will give that passenger more legroom because it can then be moved back a bit more. (Besides, it's safer!)

If you have advanced airbags in the Corolla (I think they were an option in the 05 model year but not standard until 07) you may not touch either of the front seats wtih a car seat when installing. If you don't, go ahead and brace! (Just don't change the angle of the car seat in doing so.)

You will be able to tether to the inside leg of the front seat by popping off the plastic piece that is there and wrapping the d-ring around the bolt that holds the front seat track in place. Just make sure it's below the track so the seat can't move back on it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC