For Misty-Bug

U

Unregistered

I'm a very occasional lurker here, so I'm not registered. I hope you don't mind me calling you out. But I can't post to your thread.

Several of my family members, me included, own the Evenflo combo seats. I contacted Evenflo and Barbara Bains from Transport Canada numerous times over using these seat past 40lbs without the tether. Since the instructions confused me and some vehicles can't have tethers added etc. Both gave me a very stern NO. The seat may be used without tether under 40lbs. But it MUST use the top tether from 40-47lbs. The seat is not safe otherwise. If a top tether isn't available, the seat should be used as a booster.

Again sorry to call you out. I just wanted to pass along what was told from the horse's mouth.

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I'm a very occasional lurker here, so I'm not registered. I hope you don't mind me calling you out. But I can't post to your thread.

Several of my family members, me included, own the Evenflo combo seats. I contacted Evenflo and Barbara Bains from Transport Canada numerous times over using these seat past 40lbs without the tether. Since the instructions confused me and some vehicles can't have tethers added etc. Both gave me a very stern NO. The seat may be used without tether under 40lbs. But it MUST use the top tether from 40-47lbs. The seat is not safe otherwise. If a top tether isn't available, the seat should be used as a booster.

Again sorry to call you out. I just wanted to pass along what was told from the horse's mouth.

In Canada you have to use a top tether, so you really shouldn't be using any seat without it.

scatterbunny

Right, but I think her point is that Misty's worried about her family using the seat without a tether because the owner's manual made it sound like you COULD. She's simply explaining that she can't do that. I think EVenflo needs to be made aware that their owner's manual is confusing on this part!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I used to own a Chase (predecessor for the Traditions) and unless they've changed the manual, it was very clear that it needed to be used with a top tether at all times.

I'm not calling you a liar, but I find it very difficult to believe that Barbara Baines would okay someone using a carseat without a top tether. I can see how it may have been misconstrued to believe that is what she said though.

In Canada, we have provisions for grandparents, caregivers, ect (NOT the primary parents/guardians) who don't have top tethers in their vehicles.

These people are exempt from using a top tether (which is ridiculous). I can see Barbara telling one of these exempt people that yes, they can use the seat, but not past 40lbs as it would not be safe past 40lbs... this is the ONLY instance that I could see her saying this and even then, I'm not so sure about that. Barbara is usually a stickler for the rules.

Most older vehicles can have tethers added. What vehicles do you drive that can not have a tether added?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
In Canada, we have provisions for grandparents, caregivers, ect (NOT the primary parents/guardians) who don't have top tethers in their vehicles.

These people are exempt from using a top tether (which is ridiculous). I can see Barbara telling one of these exempt people that yes, they can use the seat, but not past 40lbs as it would not be safe past 40lbs... this is the ONLY instance that I could see her saying this and even then, I'm not so sure about that. Barbara is usually a stickler for the rules.
I thought this changed? At least for MB I thought that it had changed so that anyone driving with a carseat had to have it tethered.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I thought this changed? At least for MB I thought that it had changed so that anyone driving with a carseat had to have it tethered.

It's definitely possible... my wording just states that all children under 5 yrs of age AND 50lbs must be restrained in an appropriate device prescribed in the regulations and the device must be properly secured to the motor vehicle.

There are no exemptions listed so I believe you may be correct.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC