Help me arrange my car. Please.

Baylor

I weighed E today. He is 48 lbs so I have to reinstall seat with seat belt today.

I have a 2001 dodge Grand Caravan and 3 person bench in 3rd row and a 2 person bench in 2nd row. He has been installed in the middle 2nd row bench slot. I need to move him because M has a LBB in the third row outboard for school pick up and drop off.
I also have a ProBooster for M for trips longer than 3 mins that is in the 2nd row outboard.

I would love to just switch the seats, Move E GN to outboard 2nd row and then move Probooster to Middle position because it gets used so much less.

I just am not sure of the safety of that belt that comes from the side of the car all the way across path to 3rd row bench.

M tends to get car sick when in the 3rd row too long, especially in warm weather but I have concerns about having the 3 yr old all the way in the back on a full time basis. Especially since he needs so much when driving. He also can unbuckle so I don't want him too far from me.

Give me your best ideas! Thanks!

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
GN second row outboard, lbb second row center. Stow the pb in the third row, then pull it to the second row when you use it.

Or, can M just use the PB on a daily basis? If so seatbelt E where he is and put the pb second row outboard.

Baylor

Clarify kids, ages, and seats. I'm lost.

M 7 yr old Probooster, LBB(pronto bottom) for school and neighborhood rides. E 3.5 yr old GN harnessed. 3rd row has two Lap/shoulder, lap only in middle. 2nd row two lap shoulder.

GN second row outboard, lbb second row center. Stow the pb in the third row, then pull it to the second row when you use it.

Or, can M just use the PB on a daily basis? If so seatbelt E where he is and put the pb second row outboard.

It is hard for him to buckle the PB by himself and he gets frustrated easily with it. He can do the LBB by himself. You think that PB is okay to use on the 2nd row? with the belt coming across the aisle? I tried it today and there is an arm rest to contain the seat on the bench. I just wonder if it is a safe position with the belt being anchored so far away.

Carrie_R

Yes, as long as the belt fit is good it is acceptable. Dodge/Chrysler had obviously tested it and had it pass...

monstah

It's fine. GN outboard, booster in the 2nd or 3rd row. Whatever you want. ;)

Personally, I had an identical van and I much preferred the 2nd row center since the crash tests scared the bejesus out of me. Further away from point of impact.

Sent from my Nexus One using Car-Seat.Org

Kac

Let me know if you need to meetup for some help with the seatbelt install. :)

Baylor

It's fine. GN outboard, booster in the 2nd or 3rd row. Whatever you want. ;)

Personally, I had an identical van and I much preferred the 2nd row center since the crash tests scared the bejesus out of me. Further away from point of impact.

Okay.. So do you think I should put E in GN 3rd row center, M PB 2nd row center for big driving? Big trips? On a weekly average basis, We ride maybe 20 miles a week. Maybe. Mostly to and from school. I did move GN to Outboard driver side 2nd row for now.
This may also sound nuts, but I was thinking of installing other GN 3rd row center so I don't have to install and uninstall GN and hoist it back there for long or short trips. I have the darn space so why not right? They fight in the same row anyway so when we go anywhere longer than a few minutes, I want them separated.

Let me know if you need to meetup for some help with the seatbelt install. :)

Thank you for offering! I had a seat check with Monstah and I have to tell you it was so much more than I thought! Not only did she make sure I did a proper install with LATCH but with belts also. I am pretty sure I am taking the class in Nov! I can not wait! Just have to get final clearance from sitter and I am signing up. It is right down the street from me.

Carrie:
Thanks! It just seems so weird..

monstah

I wouldn't keep two Nautilus's and two boosters in one car. One decent fender bender and you wouldn't have back up seats, KWIM?

Baylor

I wouldn't keep two Nautilus's and two boosters in one car. One decent fender bender and you wouldn't have back up seats, KWIM?

Good point! This was a lot easier when I had one seat per child and just 3 places to put them. lol

Last edited:

Baylor

As an aside.. Moved to last harness slot today.. He should have a while, he was just at and a touch above the lower slot depending on what he was wearing. Wonder how long I have til he outgrows this.

Baylor

Yeah, So I can not put a seat in that middle 2nd row with the seat belt. I am just not comfortable with it. I tried it twice but the belt looks just wrong. It makes it ride up higher on his hips too. So that seat is worthless.

I ended up putting E behind driver 2nd row and M outboard passenger side 3rd row.

I figure if he gets car sick I will move E to middle 3rd row bench and M to Behind the driver.
I just can not use that position.

Baylor

So this is what the booster looks like in the 2nd row end position..

2ndrwbooster.jpg

How do you think it looks? Because it is so far from the side of the van, There is not much slack in it. I think it pushes the lap belt up a little too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC