Cleaning RA

MommyShannon

DD2 is 18 months rf in a RA55. She gets carsick somewhat often especially now that we live in AR and drive on curvy roads to take DD1 to school and she had a cold so lots of mucous still in the morning. Some days I put a bib over her buckles but of course she just gets sick when I don't. The manual says spot clean I think and I know you can't soak the straps. Is it okay to wipe the straps down with wipes and then use a misting spray bottle with a vinegar solution on them? I don't soak them. They are just slightly damp and dry quickly. Also, is there really a problem with machine washing the cover? I don't know why things made for children are "spot clean only".
Thanks

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I probably wouldn't use vinegar as it is acidic. Wiping them down with wipes or a damp cloth is fine, and you may even take the straps out and run them under a gentle tap if you need to get the vomit juices out. Air drying outside will do wonders for getting the smell out!

The cover may be hand-washed or possibly even washed on the gentle cycle, depending on what type of washer you have. I tend to hand-wash but put the covers in the gentle spin cycle before air-drying, as it cuts drying time. I have a general, heavy-duty, high-capacity top-loader, and old one, but I've never damaged a cover doing this.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
According to the RA55 Manual (pg 60):

Cleaning the Harness:

Sponge clean using warm water and mild soap / towel dry / DO NOT: Disassemble the harness, bleach, machine wash, machine dry, iron

Personally, I've always washed my plush Britax covers in my *front loader* with a little woolite on the delicate or handwash cycle (but set the spin cycle to high to get all the excess water out otherwise it'll never dry). Then air dry out in the sun if possible (especially for vomit). I wouldn't wash it in a top loader with an agitator and I'd never put it in a dryer but they've always been fine after washing in my front loader. *However, I accept full responsibility for the outcome by going against the manufacturers instructions and would never complain or try to get a free replacement cover out of them if it turned out badly. So far, knock on wood, it never has!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC