News $100 True fit at TRU

tam_shops

Finally clearing out the True fit at our TRU, $100. Ours has one paper left, no idea if they actually had an seats left...

I also saw a sale in the Zellers flyer for $150 and they are great about PM, so if you grab it asap, then go back w/ the TRU flyer...though, not sure if there are any left, when I checked our Zellers for GN, last week, they had none, and not much of anything else either!

Walmart on the other hand, had TONS of car seats w/ 20#FF on them. The lady had no clue and I had a chat w/ her and she said they'd probably toss them all if they don't get sold. How sad is that!? Instead of selling them dirt cheap at cost, they'd toss them...

tam

ADS
V

VanIsleMommy

keep in mind this is also the same company that destroys and trashes unsold clothing and shoes too, instead of donating it...

tam_shops

Seriously? That is sad. The lady said something about how shocked I'd be if I saw what went into the garbage, for some reason I was thinking food...Wonder if people manage to get some of it out of a dumpster behind the store, like in that TV show...

I really do hate that store, mainly go there (it's a30min drive) for pictures b/c Sears doesn't have coupons often enough and ours always take well over an hour to get them done and half an hour to pick them up! I don't have the patience for that! WM today, in and out in 20min. Might have been faster if the lady (and ds) hadn't dropped the 2 on YDS's foot! :thumbsdown:

tam

V

VanIsleMommy

yep - a lot of big companies do that. there was a huge dumpster of cut up brand new shoes discovered behind a sport chek on the news a few months ago, people were outraged but it's a common practice unfortunately.

I personally hate WM and it's eco and ethical issues... but I do shop there occasionally too.

tam_shops

That's disgusting that they cut shoes up. It really is. I know they I worked in a store, we cut stuff up too, some where *better* about it than others. I never got it. If someone wants to pull something out of the dumpster and make good w/ it when you couldn't, what's the problem!

People make no sense to me. I emailed 6 friends w/ car seats that expire in the next year, one before Christmas, w/ 2-3YO sitting in them and I know the seats they have and size of their kids, so they *need* a new seat and it'd be a Maestro $130, Nautilus $240 or Frontier $300. They're not getting a Frontier b/c they already put ODC into boosters, thanks to my nagging, all Graco HBB, but still. How does that make sense!?

tam

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That's disgusting that they cut shoes up. It really is. I know they I worked in a store, we cut stuff up too, some where *better* about it than others. I never got it. If someone wants to pull something out of the dumpster and make good w/ it when you couldn't, what's the problem!

People make no sense to me. I emailed 6 friends w/ car seats that expire in the next year, one before Christmas, w/ 2-3YO sitting in them and I know the seats they have and size of their kids, so they *need* a new seat and it'd be a Maestro $130, Nautilus $240 or Frontier $300. They're not getting a Frontier b/c they already put ODC into boosters, thanks to my nagging, all Graco HBB, but still. How does that make sense!?

tam

I'm surprised they still do that in this economy actually. We clearance stuff off at low price because something is better than nothing... it could be they don't have the staffing to do that though?

A Graco HBB is actually a perfectly good choice for a booster - fits most kids great and is tried and true. I would never take issue with someone putting their kid in a Graco or any booster that had a good belt fit. Brand simply doesn't matter one little bit and the current Britax booster is very low on my list due to the seatbelt fit issues I've seen - I'd feel confident sending a mom to buy a turbobooster knowing that 95% of the time it's going to be a great seatbelt fit provided the kid isn't too tall in the body to get much use from the high back portion, but would never blindly recommend the Britax. I refuse to rely on a crotch strap to hold the lap belt in position in a booster if there is a marginal fit. Add it on when there's already a good fit, there's probably not harm, but I see it almost as a bandaid to a lapbelt fit that is marginal in a lot of cases and I wouldn't use a bandaid on my own kid. And while I know there are other boosters out there that give poor belt fit as often as good belt fit, I'm picking on Britax because of the brand name and to make the point that the type of booster chosen doesn't matter - it's all about seatbelt fit and brand reputation has nothing to do with that. :twocents:

The TF has been on clearance at TRU for a good month now, so most stores will be completely sold out of it. I know our store has been with the exception of when we get a new-in-box return at which point we have one for another short period. And we had over 2 dozen in stock before they went on clearance... I've seen walmart lower prices on carseats to clear stock before, so here's to hoping they do it again. I expect zellers will, and sears and the bay I'd expect to see clearance at low prices too.

tam_shops

Trudy, thought I'd read they were clearing out the TF earlier in the month, ours is just slow on the switch to decrease and has at least one left...IDK about the WM clearance thing though, how much can it cost to through the clearance shoes into a bin w/ a $5 tag on them? Or to call *someone* to pick them up to be donated, then it's a tax write off.

About the Graco thing, I didn't link my sentences correctly, I was talking not buying a harnessed seat that you'll need for a 2yo made no sense b/c their seats were about to expire. And, 4YO that were not yet 40# going into the turbo booster so the younger sibs could have the seat. Not the seat itself, I own one, it has the greatest reviews from the IIHS (? letters right? LOL). I have nothing against Graco, except that comfort sport that has caused me endless complaints (phone calls/emails) from friends that bought it, then the follow up complaints they had to spend *another* $100 on a seal for a 4yo that was 35#.... I also had two of Graco's buckets, liked them better than my Peg bucket. Though, that Peg bucket had better fabric and Front adjustable harness. The 22# Graco bucket (a friend gave me) did not, hated that. I think they make great seats for a reasonable price w/ decent fabric and cheap replacement covers. There is no excuse not to have a kid in a harness until 40# when there is a Nautilus and/or Evenflo seat for $200 or $100...

tam

turtlemama

There is no excuse not to have a kid in a harness until 40# when there is a Nautilus and/or Evenflo seat for $200 or $100...

tam
Actually, there is, not being able to afford even that. I 'very had to send parents to their health depth or Safe Kids coalition for free seats because they can't afford them. They likely did not get higher weigh harness seats. The coalition was giving Sceneras for under 40 lbs and boosters(looked like cosco nbb w/o harness, but it was a different brand) for over 40 lbs.

tam_shops

Sorry turtlemama, I was talking still talking about the same people (my playgroup) and I *know* they can afford a Frontier should they *want* one. Most even bought the MA for their first, then opted for a booster before the child was heavy enough. Those that flat out can not afford it and are using the seat given to them by the Health Department (I didn't think we had Safe Kids here in Canada?), use the Scenera until the child is too tall/heavy and then (I hope) use the booster seat they are given. And, I'd never think twice about that, you make do w/ what you've got when you can afford better. I've lived in the I can't afford boat much longer than anyone ever should in my life (raised by a single mom), so perhaps its why it annoys me a little more when people that use Smart Phones, won't buy the car seat they *legally* are supposed to b/c it's $50 more (a month's bill for the Smart Phone if I'm not mistaken, I have the $10/3mths pay as you go phone! LOL)

tam

Last edited:

tam_shops

The DOM may not be current.

There was discussion about the legalities of selling a seat that is not 2012 compliant after 2012.

Is that what you mean?

tam

npl

Thanks!
I got an an answer on the legalities, and I don't think it bothers me if it's essentially the same model (ie not a Premier/Rebound).
It's more the DOM - does anyone know what the DOM on these seats is? And when do they expire?
I would prefer the premier/rebound, but price is an issue.

tam_shops

TF has a 7yo lifespan? Have they always? Good to know!

As for DOM, I'd expect a newer DOM at TRU than say Zellers, but I'd also bet that it depends from store to store and how much stock they carry vs have left over...I'd just call and ask them to check if they have one and the DOM. Last summer I bought two Maestro seats from TRU. One was ~ a month old, went back for a 2nd, that one was ~6mths old. I complained, returned the 6mth old one and then got one that was only a few weeks old. So, asking never hurts, even at TRU!

tam

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Our store got a second shipment this past week, but I don't know what the DOM is on the seats. It would really depend on the last time seats were received from First Years and how often the individual store receives shipments - warehouse stock could have a May 2011 DOM, but a given store could have November 2010 depending on the last time they received a shipment.

So you just never know - IIRC, First Years does mark on the outside of the box what the DOM is though, so that should make it easier to find out.

eta: Yes, the TF has a 7yr life span, and it always has. I don't have my TF anymore, but it was bought from the first shipment to TRU and would've had the earliest DOM for Canadian seats and it was good for 7yrs. :thumbsup:

tam_shops

Thanks Trudy, that sure would make sense timing wise for their kids, though I swore the seat had an older DOM when they got it (Zellers). Either way, I sent her a reminder email and am sure she'll be happy b/c it'll be one less seat she has to buy for now...

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC