My baby is now...

teekadog

forward facing. :(

But we made it to 4.5 years so :D

She's been rfing in a Scenera for a few months since our Marathons are only rated up to 33lbs rfing. But we're going for a 7 hour drive this weekend, and the MA is more comfy. So I weighed her last night after bath. 34.2 lbs. When you add on clothes, shoes, her newest favorite accessory of 2 dozen different hair clippies ("Mom, I'm as beautiful as a rainbow!"), it's time to turn her.

We went for a test drive yesterday with her forward facing in her Marathon in our new Mazda. What did she complain long and loud about? She misses her mylar mirror. Please, please, please could she have it back? No, because the straps and plastic hook would bump Mom in the head and that could be dangerous. "But Mom, you have the hardest head of anyone I've ever been around! It's such a beautiful, hard, strong head!" (I don't know where she gets the suck-up gene, but it comes so naturally to her :rolleyes: ) We're getting the car tinted today, and I'm hoping the rear passenger windows will be dark enough that she can enjoy her reflection that way.

We'll just have to see how her leg circulation fares. In the past when we've tried ffing, that has been the huge issue, especially on longer drives. When we test drove the car she was in the 3rd row, and with the 2nd row slid all the way back she had literally no leg room, as her car seat touched the back of the middle row seat. She loved that and called it cozy and it helped her keep her legs crossed. Now I have her in the middle row behind the driver and her legs hang down. Or she can rest her feet on either side of the driver's headrest :mad: . I'm going to experiment with pool noodles and comforters, etc., today.

I just can't believe she's finally grown so big. I don't know how you parents of bigger kids do it. She seems SO heavy to me, yet I've known lots of 18mo that weighed as much as her. Don't your arms just drop off from carrying them??? For reference, my 2y3mo dd weighs 22lbs fully dressed, and she's much "heavier" than her big sis was.

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
It sounds like you got a CX-9? Am I right? I :love: that vehicle! It's what I want to get when the lease expires on our van.

Just a thought, but if it's the CX-9 you got, why not slide the 2nd row forward enough to let her rest her legs on the seat in front of her (same thing you did in the third row by sliding the seat all the way back)?

Disclaimer: I want other techs opinion's on this as I'm not sure if it would be safe putting your DD closer to the seats in front of her... but if the seat is tethered it might not be so bad. Opinions anyone?

Okay, I just read you got a Mazda 5 so nothing up above makes sense anymore - sorry! Does the middle row slide foward/back at all? Then the question would still apply. :D

Suzibeck

"But Mom, you have the hardest head of anyone I've ever been around! It's such a beautiful, hard, strong head!" (I don't know where she gets the suck-up gene, but it comes so naturally to her :rolleyes: )

:ROTFLMAO:

My first two were big, 20# before 6 months, but then they slowed down and were only about 22# at a year. Then I had my peanut who didn't hit 20# until 18 months and walked at about 17#. I think it is what you get used to. You adjust as they grow from the light weight baby. I babysat my niece a while back when she was about 15 months and 30# and still not walking.:eek: Boy did I need my chiropractor after she went home! I've never had to haul a child that big around before.

teekadog

Jen, the middle row seats do slide front and back. But it is such a small vehicle that even with the tether I'd worry about head excursion into the front headrest. This "micro van" takes up less room in our garage than the Toyota Camry did!

Turns out we have to pack all our own towels, so I'll probably just put a pile of those at dd's feet. If all else fails, I can easily move her to the 3rd row.

Yeah, no CX-9 here (there was one in the showroom that I told dh not to even look at because of the price LOL), but to say that we :love: love :love: our Mazda5 would be an understatement :)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Jen, the middle row seats do slide front and back. But it is such a small vehicle that even with the tether I'd worry about head excursion into the front headrest. This "micro van" takes up less room in our garage than the Toyota Camry did!

Turns out we have to pack all our own towels, so I'll probably just put a pile of those at dd's feet. If all else fails, I can easily move her to the 3rd row.

Yeah, no CX-9 here (there was one in the showroom that I told dh not to even look at because of the price LOL), but to say that we :love: love :love: our Mazda5 would be an understatement :)

Towels sound like a great idea!
:ROTFLMAO: at Dh not being allowed to even glance at the CX-9. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC