Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Teeee

How do you attach a car seat in a greyhound

I have a Sunshine Kids 65 lb seat, and wanted to travel on greyhound, but discovered that you're 'welcome to use a child restraint, but provide the webbing/strapping' to attach the car seat to the bus seat?????

Help??

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Re: How do you attach a car seat in a greyhound

In all the buses I have been in, the first row of passenger seats has seatbelts and all the people using carseats have used those first four seats, which all have seatbelts. Could you get one of those seats?

The front seats of the bus may have seatbelts of some sort, but I wouldn't say it's likely (I've never seen it & the policy quoted here doesn't sound like they do) -- I would call the carseat manufacturer for their ideas.... You might be given permission to use a heavy duty ratcheting strap or something, but you might also be warned that anything other than LATCH or approved seatbelt voids liability: in which case, I personally would make the parental decision to resort to a ratcheting strap because in the end the laws of physics require the carseat to be restained in some method (when approved methods don't exist) & I'd rather risk voiding liability than my child's life. More than that I would simply find transportation that allows correct installation of the carseat!
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

I looked up the grayhoud website FAQ on carseat use and it says this (I am assuming you have already seeen this, but thought I should post it for others to see):

Child Safety Seats
    Customers are welcome to use child safety seats on Greyhound buses. However, the seat space must be purchased at the discounted child fare. You should ensure that your child seat has been approved for use in a motor vehicle, and is used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

It is your responsibility to secure the child seat to the bus seat with strapping or webbing that is approved by the child seat manufacturer. You are responsible for providing the strapping or the webbing. You should also secure your child in the child seat with a manufacturer-approved lap and/or shoulder belt/harness. Greyhound does not provide lap and/or shoulder belts/harnesses.

I would recommend calling a local grayhoud bus station and ask them what is standard on the buses. They may be able to tell you what is common and if it is likely that you would be able to get a seat with a seatbelt. The grayhound FAQ doesn't even hint that there are seatbelts at all, but there just might be.

I have travelled on plenty of busses, sitting in front, middle, back and everywhere in between. I have NEVER seen a seatbelt on anything other than the driver's seat.
    Mama to :
    Boo (2002), apramo backless booster
    Bug (2004), Parkway SGL
    Bear (2006), Parkway SGL

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by MomToEliEm View Post
    I would recommend calling a local grayhoud bus station and ask them what is standard on the buses. They may be able to tell you what is common and if it is likely that you would be able to get a seat with a seatbelt. The grayhound FAQ doesn't even hint that there are seatbelts at all, but there just might be.
    Or maybe you could go look at a typical Greyhound bus and get an idea of what you'd need to rig, to hold the seat in.

-Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by MomToEliEm View Post
    I looked up the grayhoud website FAQ on carseat use and it says this (I am assuming you have already seeen this, but thought I should post it for others to see):

Child Safety Seats
    Customers are welcome to use child safety seats on Greyhound buses. However, the seat space must be purchased at the discounted child fare. You should ensure that your child seat has been approved for use in a motor vehicle, and is used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

It is your responsibility to secure the child seat to the bus seat with strapping or webbing that is approved by the child seat manufacturer. You are responsible for providing the strapping or the webbing. You should also secure your child in the child seat with a manufacturer-approved lap and/or shoulder belt/harness. Greyhound does not provide lap and/or shoulder belts/harnesses.

From that website info, I am interpreting that to mean the bus seats have lower anchors or something similar (probably not tethers, so they can't call it LATCH) and that the parent needs to supply the LATCH strap to secure the seat. But I would call the company and/or go to the station to check it out for sure.
    Kathy

CPST and proud owner of Britax Regent, Britax Marathon, Safeguard GO, Evenflo Chase, Costco Scenera, and IMMI PetBuckle.

This is very interesting! I know buses are so much less likely to crash than passenger cars, but I am hoping that someday they'll at least have lap belts to prevent people from becomming projectiles in the event of a crash (not that everyone would use them anyway)

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kashi View Post
    I have travelled on plenty of busses, sitting in front, middle, back and everywhere in between. I have NEVER seen a seatbelt on anything other than the driver's seat.
    Hmm...

When I was in LA last month, we used a lot of charter buses (I think four or five different ones??) and ALL of them had lapbelts in the first row of seats.

When I went to NY, I took a charter bus. The first row of seats had lapbelts.

When I took a field trip with students to JMU a few years ago, our charter bus had lapbelts in the first row.

That's weird. Maybe I have just been lucky each time????

Charter buses are probably different -- like all the shuttle buses I've been in have had ALR lap belts in every seat....

mrs_teeee67

I called the long distance number for greyhound customer service and was told they didn't have seat belts

I was wondering if the LATCH belts built into my car seat are what they're referring to.... shoulda though to ask that,,, after my 20 minute wait on hold

grrrr,,, this is quite frustrating

Any new advice on this matter?

I was told to use the latch system slip it around the seats and lock the clips together. Would this be better then having a four year old sit with no seat belt? She did rather well on the first leg of our journey with no belt but on the second half was very implusive.

Oh and this was a grey hound bus with no seat belts and then a jefferson lines bus with seat belts only for wheelchair riders.

Sebree 12 Jade 9
    Torin 9 Nevaeh 7
    Issabella 5 Glorryanna 3
    Pic taken at historical village

CPS Fanatic

All the busses like that I've been on haven't had seatbelts. So I would not expect them. I would call SKJP and see what they say.
    Mommy to two wild little boys and a little princess!
    DS1 (01/05, 46 1/2", 44 lbs), Boring Gray Turbobooster / Harmony Literider
    DS2 (07/07, 39 1/2", 40lbs), Harvest Complete Air / Booster Training in a Maui Blue PWSG / RSTV
    DD (07/09, 33", 23lbs), rfing Flair MyRide / rfing Scenera

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

You don't she'll just have to sit on the seat. Very rarely do buses have seat belts, but they're very safe. I haven't had any problems transporting kids on buses and trains unbelted, but I've never had them have to sit for more than 90 minutes or so.

I wouldn't attempt to attach a harness seat to the bus with latch straps. You have no way of knowing how it would act in a crash. Plus the whole buses being insanely safe bit.
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

Our trip started at 9:50 in the mornign and ended at 11:00 at night only to be greeted by a tornado at our destination. quite literally.

Sebree 12 Jade 9
    Torin 9 Nevaeh 7
    Issabella 5 Glorryanna 3
    Pic taken at historical village

Quote Originally Posted by nevaehsmommy View Post
    Any new advice on this matter?

I was told to use the latch system slip it around the seats and lock the clips together. Would this be better then having a four year old sit with no seat belt? She did rather well on the first leg of our journey with no belt but on the second half was very implusive.

Oh and this was a grey hound bus with no seat belts and then a jefferson lines bus with seat belts only for wheelchair riders.
    Interesting... That wouldn't work for the seats with the push on style LATCH connectors though.
    Carly
    mom to Bram [10 years/32lbs/41" - BT 3-in-1 & Nauti]
    ...and TTC an excuse to buy a new seat since 2/2013

Quote Originally Posted by papooses View Post
    The front seats of the bus may have seatbelts of some sort, but I wouldn't say it's likely (I've never seen it & the policy quoted here doesn't sound like they do) -- I would call the carseat manufacturer for their ideas.... You might be given permission to use a heavy duty ratcheting strap or something, but you might also be warned that anything other than LATCH or approved seatbelt voids liability: in which case, I personally would make the parental decision to resort to a ratcheting strap because in the end the laws of physics require the carseat to be restained in some method (when approved methods don't exist) & I'd rather risk voiding liability than my child's life. More than that I would simply find transportation that allows correct installation of the carseat!

Quote Originally Posted by CelticLabyrinth View Post
    You don't she'll just have to sit on the seat. Very rarely do buses have seat belts, but they're very safe. I haven't had any problems transporting kids on buses and trains unbelted, but I've never had them have to sit for more than 90 minutes or so.

I wouldn't attempt to attach a harness seat to the bus with latch straps. You have no way of knowing how it would act in a crash. Plus the whole buses being insanely safe bit.
    I agree with this for short trips (like in a city bus going across town), but for longer trips, where bigger kids will get antsy, and babies will get heavy and squirmy, it seems very unpractical.
    True, you don't know how a seat would act in a crash when used on a bus and "installed" in an unapproved manner; however I really don't see how it could possibly be LESS safe for a child to be restrained in SOME MANNER, rather than totally loose. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
    Interesting... That wouldn't work for the seats with the push on style LATCH connectors though.
    If it were ME in that position, I think I would make the parental decision to use a LATCH strap from a different car seat (one rated to the same wight as the seat I was using). I generally view LATCH straps along the lines of locking clips... interchangeable from seat to seat for the most part.
    ~Kelsie, CPST. Full-time nanny to C (3.5y), RF in a MySize70, and R (born 6/11/14), riding in a Coccoro. Loving Auntie to many!
    "We do the best we can with what we know, and when we know better, we do better" - Maya Angelou