harnessed kid/car line/what to wear in winter?

bnsnyde

What does he wear in winter? To kindergarten?
I bought a Columbia fleece jacket (so nothing bulky) for him and planned to use the carseat poncho with that. Fine, until it's REALLY COLD.
I think he NEEDS his winter coat when it's winter in Chicago (brrrrrr).

But I can't picture having him jump out the van's hatch and then put a coat on (he's 5, so this really won't be quick) while it's 4 degrees and his fingers get frost bite.) We already take the longest in the carline as he unbuckles his harness. :) The teachers want us to move, and move fast.

And he does need to have his winter coat at school. They might go outside, have a drill, etc. you never know. I can't quite see having him carry it in (not on him) when it's freezing. That would look so wrong, lol.

His winter coat is a Spyder Mini Leader that's advertised as non-bulky, if that changes anything. It is quite non-bulkey, but it's still a winter coat. No way around that.

Technically he is a size too big for the Carseat poncho so some warmth would be sacrificed, and sending him into school with that I would hope would not open up teasing.

I'm always trying to find the perfect solution, lol.

WWYD? (This is just for drop-off). For pick-up, I have to park and get out of the van (with 3 wee ones) so I can do whatever I want and take as long as I want.

ADS

NannyMom

How long is his walk from the carline to the school? Sofi will ahve a 3 in 1 coat. She will go to and from the car with just the inner fleece, but take the outer for playing outside.

bnsnyde

It's a long windy walk for a 5-year-old, is part of the problem. (though fully supervised and safe). Just REALLY COLD.

NVMBR02

We live in MN and when I drive my kids to school they wear a fleece coats (they have North Face ones) hats and gloves. They put on their heavier coats and snow pants at recess time. They haven't complained about being cold in the 2-5 mins. it takes them to walk into the school. They wear the same thing when we are out shopping and going in and out of stores. We don't generally wear heavier coats unless we are spending more than a few mins outside because then someone has (meaning me) has to carry them once we are inside and everyone is hot.

mkmama

My son does his fleece coat (part of his 3 in 1) and is usually fine with that when getting off schoolbus. On days that it is extra cold or sleeting, etc, he will toss his outer part over his shoulders instead of just carrying it to help break the wind.

bnsnyde

I barely used a winter coat last winter b/c there was no time to deal with it and none fit well. I was pregnant.

I froze and complained, lol.

And years past even with my Columbia coats, hats, gloves, I was cold. I might be a wimp, though.

Just a fleece for him? Maybe. And I probably would send him in with the carseat poncho if that's easy.

misstj9

When we are doing errands etc in the cold Chicago winter my boys are in their fleece with hats/gloves if desired, in and out of the car for 2-5 min walks into stores with few complaints. Boots we wear if it's slushy cause wet feet mean cold feet. I would think for a 5 min walk (or less) he'd be okay with just a fleece, with the heavier piece for outside recess needs. Personally, knowing my boys I'd skip the car-seat poncho from both a teasing perspecitve, and being another piece to carry/lose perspective.

mama2girls

This might not be the answer you're looking for, but...
Can you drop him off just a little early on really cold days? That way he'll have time to get his coat on and won't be holding up the big line right before school starts.
Can he use a booster and wear his coat on just those really cold days? I lived in NY for a while and I remember it was just January that was freeze-your-tush cold. After sub-zero nighttime temps, February seemed downright balmy. :D

Kayleen

I'd say wear a fleece (or thin-noncompressible jacket) in carseat with poncho, then leave poncho in car, grab heavier outer jacket to carry into school for recess, etc. and just wear the light jacket on the way in. If he's cold he will run faster to get inside. Saves teasing, he'll be warm and comfortable in the car.

I ordered a poncho for this winter, but DD will still have a heavy jacket available in the car in case something happend. She's worn fleece or inner liners in the carseat before. Usually that and a blanket was all she needed.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Is there an alternative to the drop-off line? We had the opposite problem last year; drop-off was okay (booster kids) but pickup took us way too long, thank you tight three-acrosses. We were able to use an alternate pickup location.

Otherwise, is he booster-ready? If it's a thinner winter coat, I would feel a lot more comfortable with him in a booster in the coat than in a harness.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
If parents insist on a winter coat, I tell them to at least unzip the coat so that the harness is next to the clothing. I discuss the slack/compression issue and tell them that they too, should NOT have their winter coat on under the seatbelt.

Otherwise, put his heavy coat/snowpants in his back pack or a separate bag (good idea anyway if he gets wet or snowy playing at recess), and continue to use the poncho w/a fleece or hoodie in the car.

I don't think he'll get cold in the walk from the car to the building. It might look odd, but to most people, a school age kid in a 5 pt harness is pretty weird as well. :rolleyes:

luckyclov

My kids wear a fleece in their seats. If they require something heavier, they just carry it with them. They almost never stop to put on a heavier jacket after getting out of the car and walking (for a time outdoors) to their classrooms. They just suck it up. They're also too busy socializing and bickering to worry about whether or not they may be cold. Six minutes of cold air isn't gonna make 'em keel over. That said, however, we live in GA, not IL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC