Annoying Booster Pushers

All4Him12

I just need a little post to rant about how much I can't stand all the people around me who automatically assume that a 3 or 4 year old should move to a booster!!!! And then they look at me like a freak when I say they are not ready....:mad: I am not sure why this is such a button pusher with people who do not know a lot about car seat safety. And why do they always assume that I do not know what I am talking about when I am the one with the statistics and research?!! SO ANNOYING!

ADS

firemomof3

I hear you. Just stick to your guns and be ready with some facts to throw at them. The word is getting out...slowley. I just helped my *new* daycare mom install her new MA70 rf for her 22mo. :love:

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
My 3 year old is in a special needs preschool program for his speech delay, and it looks like all of the other kids are already in boosters. At least one is already in a backless booster! I may join the PTA and see if I can do any good that way.

gigi

Just say the seat he is in now is safer, so I'm not changing it. That should end the conversation. Really, it is none of their business!

All4Him12

Just say the seat he is in now is safer, so I'm not changing it. That should end the conversation. Really, it is none of their business!

I think thats my biggest annoyance. I am not even the one who brings it up. They give me strange looks and say things like "wow, why do you even bother with all that still?" or "Isn't he a little too old for those straps?" as I pick him up from 4 year old preschool. I simply say "Its safer for him" and then they automatically get defensive as if I said something negative towards them. It is none of their business...

All4Him12

My 3 year old is in a special needs preschool program for his speech delay, and it looks like all of the other kids are already in boosters. At least one is already in a backless booster! I may join the PTA and see if I can do any good that way.

Wow! Well I sure how you can make a difference. I babysit a girl with Down Syndrome who has very poor muscle support. In my car she rides rear facing but her Mom has scolded me for doing this saying that she is too old. She is 16 months....

gsdguenter

Wow! Well I sure how you can make a difference. I babysit a girl with Down Syndrome who has very poor muscle support. In my car she rides rear facing but her Mom has scolded me for doing this saying that she is too old. She is 16 months....

Scolded you :eek::confused: I'd say "It's my car and if I am transporting her I am responsible for her." You then could print off the info from the NHTSA website and AAP so she knows a 16 month old isn't too old to rf - especially one with SN!

ETA: Oh yeah, and DD1's preschool friends are pretty good about car seat safety. One even complimented me for rf still. I'd say of the 12 kids there (3-5 yrs. old) 2 of them are in hbb and everyone else is ff harness and then DD1 is rfing.

VoodooChile

I noticed at dd's preschool (she's in 1st grade now so this was a few years ago), none of the kids her age were in boosters early (no ERF though :( ). As the kids around dd's age started to outgrow their convertibles (nearly all had Sceneras, Comfortsports, and Dorel 3-in-1's,), their moms started to casually ask me about "the next seat" since they knew they could ask me that kind of stuff. It was pretty cool since the kids a year or 2 older had all been in boosters (mostly backless) since 3 or so.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I'd be happy if more of the kids at my school (and their siblings) used a booster (or even a seat belt). I avoid going out to the driveway before or after school at all costs. It drives me nuts to see kids (K-5 school) in the front seat, with a bulky coat and backpack on. Seatbelts appear to be completely optional.

Then there is the family that came to a Safe Kids check event to get seats for their twin babies. I saw 2 adults pick up 3-4 other kids in an Explorer. One of the older kids sat in the baby's seat and held the baby (now 2 ish). Another 2 climbed in the way back and sat on the floor. :eek::eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC