Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

2003, 2004 & 2005 Kia Rio owners

I'm not sure if this applies to US vehicles too, or only Canadian vehicles, but I thought I would post it anyways. It is a notice from 2006, but I couldn't find it in my search - not sure if Kia would come up in search anyways since it's only 3 letters.

I was reading through the notices on Transport Canada's site and came across this one involving the LATCH/UAS anchors.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/child...06c04/menu.htm

2003, 2004 and 2005 Kia Rio

Dates of Manufacture: Up to June 11, 2005

Number of Vehicles: 19,048

Problem:
    Certain Kia Rio vehicles do not comply with Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) 210.2 – Lower Universal Anchorage Systems for Restraint Systems and Booster Cushions. The lower connector system (UAS connectors) on a children’s restraint system may be prevented from attaching to the corresponding UAS anchor bars in the vehicle seat bight due to interference with the rear seat frame.

Background:

Kia Canada contacted Transport Canada to inform them of the non-compliance to CMVSS 210.2. The non-compliance condition was identified during testing.

Company Action: Kia Canada is notifying all registered owners of the non-compliance condition. Kia Canada will be replacing the vehicle UAS anchor bars.

Safety Risk: In the event of a crash, if the child restraint system is not properly secured, personal injury or death could occur.

Consumer Recourse:

All registered owners should report to a Kia dealer to have the UAS anchor bars replaced in their vehicle. If a notice has not been received, then the consumer should contact their dealer to make an appointment for replacement.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads