Cosco Arriva 5pt????

which seat would you perfer if you had to pick from these seats and why?

• Total voters

Jewels

Senior Community Member
What do you all think of this seat? Is it better then a 5pt Evenflo Embrace? What about the Safety 1st infant seat? Ideally I would like a Graco SR and a SS1 would be even better but unless it comes down to about $80 we won't be able to do Graco.

I am starting to look for a inexpensive seat for my SIL to use for her next baby. At the moment she has an expired Century that I think she would use if she isn't given a new one. Funds are limited as it will be DH and my IL's buying it and don't have/want to spend a lot.

Remember that I need a Canadian seat and the prices of our seats are more expensive then the US seats (ie. our SS1 is about $189 and the cheapest SR I found was $120 and it didn't have upfront adjust).

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
This is a tough one!!!

I chose the Evenflo, but only because I think it is the lesser of the (three) evils. :)

That's a tough one!

scatterbunny

Do any of those have a front adjuster? I know one of the Dorel infant seats is now coming with a front adjuster in the US, but I'm not sure which one.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Nope, if I can find one with the front adjust in our price range I would buy it!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We had an Evenflo On My Way Postion Right V (what is with the super long name?) for Aiden and I honestly did not mind the rear adjust at all. I also think we were the only people that the adjuster did not stick for at all either.

scatterbunny

If it needs to be narrow, it looks like the Arriva is the narrowest. The Evenflo will require 1.5" of space between the handle and the front seat(s), the others don't have that restriction.

Just rambling. :)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
If it needs to be narrow, it looks like the Arriva is the narrowest. The Evenflo will require 1.5" of space between the handle and the front seat(s), the others don't have that restriction.

Just rambling. :)

Not sure if the new ones are the same, but our evenflo could have the handle all the way down (so, not straight out behind the seat - one more position down, in the sitting position) when in the vehicle. This allowed quite a bit more front to back space and we were able to fit it in the back seat of our 2dr Civic with room for me to sit in the front.

Sorry, adding my ramblings to scatterbunny's ramblings ;)

mominabigtruck

I'm personally a fan of the safety 1st seats. I would buy one of those even with the rear adjust before I'd buy either of the other seats. I think they're easy to install and pretty user friendly as compared to the evenflo. I think the arriva is just plain cheap so I wouldn't waste my money on it.

cdncasper

I prefer the Evenflo Embrace since I have seen it with front adjust and I like the way it looks better.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The Embrace has the lowest harness slot. It is fine, as long as you have the room to put the handle in the correct position and have the 1 1/2" space around it.
Second choice would be the Safety 1st.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would go the embrace. I absolutely hate the adjustments for the safety 1st seats. All the ones that I have seen recently have the fabric slots and the shell slots horribly misaligned which makes for a more difficult time tightening the harness, and makes it easier to thread the harness through different cover & harness slots. If you weren't anal about checking, it would be very easy to do. The new ones are coming with a puzzle buckle again too - what does she think of that?

SS1 can be purchased at Sears for $140 if you watch for sales. ;) If she's not going to be talked into ERF'ing, then I'd recommend that because it'll mean she can move kiddo into a combination seat when he/she outgrows the SS1 - and he should last in the SS1 well past his 1st b-day, so it would get him ERF'ing for awhile anyways. :thumbsup:

Otherwise, I think I'd be more inclined to skip an infant seat and get a nice convertible with low slots so it would fit a newborn and still be usable for a longer period of time. That way you know the new baby will be in a safe seat for a good long time and won't have to deal with this again when the carrier is outgrown. :twocents:

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I have no idea, but I'd go for whichever one has the easiest adjustment. If none of these 3 have front-adjust, then I'd get whichever one has the best back adjustment mechanism (or are they all the same?) If they're really the same as far as that goes, then I guess the Evenflo or a convertible with nice low slots.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Agreed. I'd want to look at the Cosco Touriva or Scenera over those infant seats. Unless they've done a major redesign of the Arriva in addition to making it a 5-point, I wouldn't consider that one at all.

lovinwaves

Ok, Jewels, I did an Embrace install today and it went great! I wasn't to impressed with the way the harness adjusted (in the rear of the seat) and how the harness slot heights were changed, but the base installed easily with LATCH. The carry handle took up a lot of room when placed in the "ride" position, but the manual does allow you lower it all the way if you need the seat space, so the front passenger may be able to move the seat slightly back more. Also the Handle needed 1 1/2inches of room between it and the front seat.

The seat itself is a little flimsy to my liking, but then again so is the Scenera. The fabric was pretty raw and itchy feeling.

I was impressed with the harness slot choices, and it also included two crotch buckle positions.

Hope this helps. :) Oh and this seat had a mfg date of 11/06

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i HATE the embrace. with a passion i hated that seat. maybe someone on here is parting with one of their carriers?

the embrace was just so difficult to intall, and it has no eps...i dunno i just hated it. i might hate the others more, but i havent ever tried them. sorry im no help :rolleyes:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I installed two embraces today and two Safety 1st...

Get the Embrace! The handle can be put all the way down in the bottom position when in the vehicle, so the 1.5" away from the seatback becomes a non-issue. The Embrace for some reason was a lot easier to adjust the harness on as well. The Safety 1st kept sticking.

It was so irritating trying to get the Safety 1st to click into the base - drove me and the parents nuts! We also had to put the handle all the way down to the bottom position to make room for front seat passengers. They are also back to the plastic puzzle buckle and I'm just not a fan of those.

Both bases were not bad to install. I showed the parents how to use a locking clip on all of them to prevent tilting and had no problems with any of them.

One word of caution though... one of the Embrace's I had, had a manufacturer date of 2003. It was bought brand new last month!!!! Check the DOM when purchasing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC