Question Is a 5 year old ok in a lite rider for 1 week?

mlohry

Ok, this is a question for a friend. They are flying to Canada for a little over a week. Her DD normally rides harnessed in a GN, but she doesn't want to haul the GN on the plane since it's SO big, so she is thinking of getting a booster. Her DD has never rode in a booster, but she is super well behaved and I am positive that she would sit well without goofing off, she is just that kind of kid. So I was thinking she could pick up a lite rider for the trip. They only want to bring carry ons, I think it would fit in that. Do you think for 1 week, it would be ok? I told her I would not recommend this for normal use, of course she understands that.

I am lending her my Scenera for her 3 year old.

ADS

mlohry

wendytthomas said:
Sure. Piper rode in a backless in NYC at 5.5. It worked really well.

Wendy

Thank you! I think she is closer to 6, I can't remember her B day. She is a very mature 6 year old, so should do great.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If she normally rides harnessed, I'd recommend some booster training between now and then.

I'm okay with a relatively sedate 5yo in a backless booster on vacation.

I'm a little less okay with the kid making the jump directly from harness to backless booster while adding in the variable of a different vehicle and the excitement of vacation.

mlohry

carseatcoach said:
If she normally rides harnessed, I'd recommend some booster training between now and then.

I'm okay with a relatively sedate 5yo in a backless booster on vacation.

I'm a little less okay with the kid making the jump directly from harness to backless booster while adding in the variable of a different vehicle and the excitement of vacation.

That's a good idea. I will tell her to try it a couple times. Their cars are older, so no side air bags, which makes me a little nervous, but probably good to try on short rides.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
You don't have to pack the LR in a suitcase, just have the child carry it on as a carry-on. It's small enough it should fit in either the overhead or under the seat.
Yep, I'd be fine with it on vacation too (just tell the child before that this seat is only for vacation and "you will sit in your GN when we get back").

I do agree on some training though. And then keep the LR for a backup seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC