Thinking of Importing a sweedish seat

leelee

I have a 15 pound 8 month old that is just about to outgrow her snugride so I put her in a boulevard classic and I don't like the fit at all (the harness is very wide on her it seems like it could just slip off her shoulders) and it's so hard to adjust the harness...her feet are already touching the seat back..so Im thinking this will not give her much rf room. I know that importing seats is frowned upon here but Im realy not happy with any American options. Can someone who has imported seats give me some insite into this. I have a 2007 honda mini van...I have no idea what seats would fit my car/baby.

ADS

armywife12

I would only consider importing if I had a huge toddler that has outgrown all american convertible car seats. Your baby isn't extremely heavy so it doesn't seem likely that you *need* a swedish seat. My son was in his marathon at 6 months and his feet were already touching the seat back. He was able to rf until 3.5 yrs old, when he hit the max weight limit on the radian xtsl. It sounds like yours is on the skinny side so I think the true fit is all that will be needed. Besides the complete air/pria, it has the tallest convertible shell in america. It will definitely fit in your vehicle as well.

Wanting a swedish seat is a whole different story and I envy you if you get one lol. I have no experience with them so I can't comment on which would be best

T4K

A 15 lb 8 month old should be able to fit plenty of US seats just fine. The Britax seats are notorious for little leg room and her feet are going to touch the seat if you want to ERF, in a Swedish seat too.

I would try her in a True Fit premiere, Graco MyRide, or a Maxi Cosi Pria before you make the decision to import. I would also suggest Radians but those have known compatibility issues in Honda vans.

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
I have not imported yet, but will be soon. This is not a decision I have taken lightly, and have been researching for over a year. It is important to know the possible consequences of using a foreign seat.

Foreign seats are not legal to use in the States. Research your state's laws to find out what legal issues you could have. Laws and fines vary by state. My state specifically states that a car seat violation cannot be considered neglect, but that may not be the case for other states. Use of a foreign seat could also possibly be an issue for your insurance company (or whatever company you may have to deal with if you have an accident). At the very least, they may not pay to replace the seat after an accident, worst case scenario they deny the entire claim. There are many US seats that will keep your child RF for a long time, and I would not recommend going against legal restrictions until there are no other viable legal options to keep your child RF. I have upgraded my son's seat to keep him RF, and there is currently no other US seat that will keep him RF longer than his SKR XTSL (I upgraded from a True Fit because of his weight). If another US seat were to come out before he hits the RF limit of his current seat, I would likely purchase that before resorting to importing.

Installation can be quite different and somewhat complicated for a Swedish seat (dual tethers, foot props, different rules, etc), and you may not find a CPST who will assist you. If you take a foreign seat to a seat check event, they most likely will not help install it and may even attempt to confiscate it. Even a Swedish car seat is not safe if improperly installed, so I would absolutely not recommend importing unless you are sure you can correctly install it yourself.

Importing a Swedish seat would be expensive. 55 lb RF seats start at about $400, shipping is about $115. Figuring out which seat will work best can be difficult, and if you pick wrong, it could be a very pricey error.

Jessica61624

It doesn't seem like you've looked much into legal options. I would only import if I had no other legal option. There are so many more seats here than britax. I'd try them out first.

LuvMyCharlie

Your 15 lb. baby is not even heavy enough to use most of the popular Swedish seats yet.

Like others have said, there are so many American options. What do you find wrong with them?

I won't sit here and say 'don't do it' because I did, but I also have a four year old who insists on RF and he cannot RF in a Radian any longer. Sure, my baby will use the seat, but not for quite sometime. Unless you have other children you intend to pass the seat down to, I would really try to make an American seat work for you.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Well...i agree with you that i also don't like the britax seats RFing. I find them small, cramped and annoying. Have you tried some of our other fine American seats? The truefit gives so much room. The radian, complete air, some of the larger evenflo convertibles and themyride....we have a lot of nice seats.

mkmama

I'd encourage you to do your research regarding the legalities...I would never import unless it was an absolute last option and no other legal seat fit my child.

Britax are notorious for having some of the least leg room for RF'ing children, so if that is your main concern, I'd encourage you to look at other American options. That being said, though "squished" legs may look uncomfortable to us adults, children are much more limber and very rarely are uncomfortable in positions we assume must be uncomfortable.

My 14 mo old is 22 lbs...she was about the same size as your baby, maybe a bit larger, at 8 months. She can just barely now reach the vehicle seat with her feet rear-facing in her True Fit in my Sienna, and that's if she stretches them out. If I put her in the Radian, she'll have even more room because of being able to (eventually) put her legs over the side if she desires.

luckyclov

As much as I lust over the Britax Multi Tech on a regular basis, I would only consider importing a seat if I had no other options and the benefit(s) of use clearly outweighed the risk(s) of not. Because, while importing is legal, using it, here in the US, is not.

With a 15-lb, 8-month old, you've got plenty of options here on US soil.

I, personally, love my Marathon 70 - my 33", 26-lb, 20-month has no complaints, either - but, hey, that's me. Britax is definitely not the only manufacturer to produce convertible child seats.

If you're set on importing, then that's your call. But what happens if the seat is incompatible with your vehicle? Returns aren't exactly easy...when you're crossing large bodies of water. Just something else to keep in mind.:)

If you're open to more suggestions/researching/trials, I would give the new Maxi Cosi Pria 70, Sunshine Kids/Diono Radian, The First Years True Fit, and Graco MyRide some consideration. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've been able to get a note for a medical exception for my daughter to use a Swedish seat. Barring that, and that option is available in some states but not others, or an exemption from NHTSA, which will not be granted for a kid who fits US seats and even then not usually, there are issues of legality.

Not to mention practicality. It's hugely expensive to get Swedish seats. I would love to hear about your issues some more so we can help you find an easier, cheaper, legal solution. :)

leelee

Thanks guys I will take your advice into consideration. I have done some research and watched some videos on car seat blog.se and know that the price will be just under $500- that is alot of money but I paid over $300 for my britax. I think I will be looking into other seats here but a sweedish seat is a consideration too. I realy like how they install- all that leg room makes me drool. I realy like a rear facing tether and those option are realy limited here. I think America is realy behind in car seat safety/technology and I just want to know that I did whatever I could to keep my child safe. Thanks ladies for the insight...you have my wheels turning. I think I will def look into the true fit.

armywife12

If you like having a rear facing tether, look into the true fit with anti rebound bar (670 maybe?).

America really isn't all that behind, especially when you look at countries like australia, who ff their babies by 6-9 months old because erf seats arent available to them, and germany, where most babies are also ff before their first birthdays. We have two seats that rf to 45 lbs and just 4 yrs ago most went to 33-35 lbs. That's huge. We now have 3 different manufacturers that allow the use of tethering rear facing, longer lasting expiration dates, and most of our convertible seats are big enough to fit the majority of children rf to at least 3 yrs old. While I love the look of the swedish seats and the higher rf weight/height capabilities, we have it pretty good in america

lovemybabies924

ok my DD is 8m and 17lbs and the TF does not fit her at all! the straps slide off her shoulders the worst out of any other seats i have tried..all car seats do this on her to a degree but not as bad as the tf.

leelee

ok my DD is 8m and 17lbs and the TF does not fit her at all! the straps slide off her shoulders the worst out of any other seats i have tried..all car seats do this on her to a degree but not as bad as the tf.

That is a problem in the boulevard for me as well...the straps stay on but they just seem so wide for her compared to the snugride...going back in there is not realy an option...she's too tall. Hmmmm...guess I just need to find one in person and try it out. I can't install a radian for anything. I tried, and techs here have never even heard of a radian before. :(

SignCuer

lovemybabies924 said:

I agree.. Yani is 5 months old and weigh 12lbs and the TF straps slide off her shoulders as well... it drives me nuts! She's using the Scenera until the purple Diono Radian comes out then I'm getting that for her! She's in a rear adjust Snugride 22 on loan from a great friend of mine. I hate it.

Back to OP... I agree with everyone, import if it's necessary. She will fit in the US seats for a nice while. Plus if you want RF tethering, look at the Diono Radian. They are the other seat other than Britax that has it plus they rf to 45 (one model rf to 40) so I think its your best bet. :)

jenfrogmom

I imported a Swedish Seat. I use it for both my 4.5 year old, and my 19 month old. I bought it for several reasons, first, I liked the double rf tether and the foot prop, second, I wanted to be able to use it for both kids. I am not really for or against importing, I feel it is up to you. You could give the Radian a shot first, then import if you have to.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I am not really for or against importing, I feel it is up to you.

Legally, it's not "up to you".

Standard disclaimer that I am not the carseat police and am less interested in what decisions individuals make than in a general discussion of importing seats.

I am not comfortable encouraging people to think that carseat-related laws are just a "parental decision". I understand that sometimes hard choices have to be made (like with a 48# 20mo child).

I am less understanding of people choosing to break the law because they "prefer" Swedish seats. A 15# 8mo can use any seat currently on the market, and will probably make it to 3-4 in the most widely recommended American seats. I can't be comfortable encouraging importing.

EmmaGrace'sMom

I've had my Radian installed in a Honda van and I had no issues at all, maybe look for one of the c-s.o techs, they'll be Radian familiar.

I'm in the camp that I'd only import if I had no other legal options. Your LO's growth will start to slow down dramatically, I think you'd be fine with any of the American choices. The My Ride fits tiny babies REALLY well, so I doubt you'd have the shoulder strap issue with it. It also has lots of leg room and is easy to install in the Honda van.

gsdguenter

I'm going to agree to disagree with carseatcoach and say it's up to you. :duck: We both know we disagree and I don't think either of us will be able to convince the other one to "switch sides" :p

As a CPST I feel I need to tell you it is illegal to use an imported seat and would recommend you find many of the US options that will work for you. There are in fact many that will work for you.

As a parent, I'm going to say do what you (after lots of research and careful decision making) feel is right for your family.

Swedish seats are safe if used correctly, so I do think it can be parental decision. It's not like you're making the parental decision to use an aftermarket product or expired seat or something like that. It's only illegal because it hasn't been tested in the US, not because it is not safe. This is a proven fact, so for someone to tell me otherwise is ludicrous. However, you need to know that they are very different than US seats and you need to be sure that you have installed it correctly. There is a BIG learning curve.

So, overall, I think your best bet would in fact be to use a US seat. Frankly, it is logistically and financially easier. Plus, you'll be able to bring it to any CPST to help you install it and then you will know it is installed and being used correctly. This is in fact the most important part of car safety.

I just get all bent out of shape when people tell me not to do something I know is okay safety-wise but not okay legally. It is legal for me to ff my children at 1 yr. It doesn't make it safe.

Okay, now I've made my plug and I will step off :soapbox:

Disclaimer: this post was in no way meant to be snarky - I just wanted to give the other side of the debate.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC