bus driver doesn't wear her seatbelt properly

ginny4

3 of my kids bus driver had the shoulder belt behind her back!!:eek::(WTH
should i say something?

and yesterday almost drove off without letting my Kindergarten kid off! AHHHH i told my other kids to be sure to get him before getting off

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Meh, I'd pick my battles, she isn't going to squash my kid from her seat in a crash.... She is an adult, not my problem IMO

I'd be more peeved about the kids being forgotten!

Pixels

It would upset me for two reasons. One, she is a role model for my kids. Every day, my kids are getting on the bus and seeing her with the belt behind her back. And two, she is required by law to wear a seatbelt for a reason. Unbelted and improperly belted drivers are more likely to be in a crash, and they cost taxpayers more because of the more severe injuries they experience. So I guess that's three reasons: role model, more likely to be in a crash with my child, and as a taxpayer I don't want to pay for her injuries and damages she causes.

twinsmom

It would upset me for two reasons. One, she is a role model for my kids. Every day, my kids are getting on the bus and seeing her with the belt behind her back. And two, she is required by law to wear a seatbelt for a reason. Unbelted and improperly belted drivers are more likely to be in a crash, and they cost taxpayers more because of the more severe injuries they experience. So I guess that's three reasons: role model, more likely to be in a crash with my child, and as a taxpayer I don't want to pay for her injuries and damages she causes.

Yeahthat (the smilie, angry, or sad faces didn't seem to apply;))

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It would upset me most of all because if she's improperly belted, she's more likely to be unconscious and unable to protect my child from further harm should she be in a crash.

I'd mention that I noticed she had her belt behind her back, did it hit her on the neck and bother her? And then offer some solutions if so (AutoSafe Belt Adjuster, for one.)

henrietta

There was a bus crash in Alabama not too long ago (past few years) in which the bus went off a bridge and several children in the front rows were killed when the stairwell collapsed (where the door is). The reason the bus flipped:

DRIVER WAS NOT WEARING HIS SEAT BELT!!!!!! :eek:

It would have never happened otherwise!

henrietta

glockchick

There was a bus crash in Alabama not too long ago (past few years) in which the bus went off a bridge and several children in the front rows were killed when the stairwell collapsed (where the door is). The reason the bus flipped:

DRIVER WAS NOT WEARING HIS SEAT BELT!!!!!! :eek:

It would have never happened otherwise!

henrietta

Why would the bus flip because the driver wasn't wearing his seat belt? That doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

Pixels

Why would the bus flip because the driver wasn't wearing his seat belt? That doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

Drivers who are not belted have less control of their vehicles.

IIRC, in this particular case the driver actually fell out of his/her seat and then obviously could not control the vehicle.

glockchick

Drivers who are not belted have less control of their vehicles.

IIRC, in this particular case the driver actually fell out of his/her seat and then obviously could not control the vehicle.

Ah yes. Now that makes a lot of sense. I could see that happening. Driver hits a bump, gets tossed out of seat, losses control of vehicle. Thanks for explaining. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC