Check Car Seats or Hire?

Mummy2Summer

neither of these are ideal situations but which is the lesser of the 2 evils?

Taking seats onboard is not an option (Australian airlines are not car seat friendly)

Would you check your car seats (gate checking is also not an option :mad: ) or hire seats at your destination?

TIA

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
What seats do you have?

If I had something I could disassemble, like a Nautilus, or fold flat, like a Radian, I would buy hard-sided suitcases for them and pack lots of clothes around them for padding and check them.

Mummy2Summer

most likely it will be a scenera and a MA70...

we are moving to Australia in 2 weeks (US seats are illegal....) and need to make a couple of trips to visit family members.

AU seats cannot go onboard as they require top tethering... US seats can but they must be 16" or less.... which means NOTHING can go onboard!

I will be by myself with 2 kids and a double stroller plus whatever bags we have....

buying cheap seats also isn't an option as the cheapest scenera equivalents are about $150ish.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
What are you going to use when you move to Australia? Is there any possible way you could buy the Australian seats which you'll be using permanently, and have your family meet you at the airport with them?

Alternatively, what are the maximum dimensions of checked baggage? Can you buy some kind of hard-sided something-or-other to check the car seats in that would keep them safe in transit? Will the airline accept anything as "cargo" rather than as luggage, and perhaps you can put your car seats in some sort of small shipping crate?

Mummy2Summer

What are you going to use when you move to Australia? Is there any possible way you could buy the Australian seats which you'll be using permanently, and have your family meet you at the airport with them?

Alternatively, what are the maximum dimensions of checked baggage? Can you buy some kind of hard-sided something-or-other to check the car seats in that would keep them safe in transit? Will the airline accept anything as "cargo" rather than as luggage, and perhaps you can put your car seats in some sort of small shipping crate?

I have a Britax MaxiRider for my daughter and a Britax meridian for my son.

I am taking the scenera and MA70 on the flight from the US to Sydney.. 2 weeks later (so a month from now) i need to fly solo with both kids from Sydney to Tasmania (another state) to visit family.

I either need to check my car seats or hire some.

I will be alone and having to pick up a hire car. There is no way I can manage 2 kids, a stroller and then car seats in crates/hard bag and then the bags yikes! I don't think all of that would even fit in a rental!

I am going to fly with my US seats at least that way my brand new ones won't get lost/damaged but I am trying to find out if it's better to check them or hire?

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
In this case, I'd check seats before I would rent them. At least you know that your seats have been properly cared for - not in a crash, harness straps not washed. My biggest concern with checking seats is if I arrive at my destination and my luggage doesn't. I would probably deal with that problem if it arises.

jess71903

Ambassador
In this case, I'd check seats before I would rent them. At least you know that your seats have been properly cared for - not in a crash, harness straps not washed. My biggest concern with checking seats is if I arrive at my destination and my luggage doesn't. I would probably deal with that problem if it arises.

:yeahthat:. I think you've got a better chance if you check your seats.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'd rather check my seats than rent seats (btdt, it was a horrible experience). I'd try to put them in boxes or at least those travel bags, maybe wrapped in bubble wrap first. Not the best situation but yeah, not much to work with in this particular instance.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC