BIG mistake!

Jessica61624

I let dd ride in her frontier in booster mode this weekend. We only went a few places and all within 10 miles. Well she does not want those straps back in! She is doing really good but honestly the harness is easier. I think I'm going to have to bribe her with a visit to the Disney store!

ADS

Kat_Momof3

tell her that it was for "practice" to be sure she could use a booster in other cars for a spare seat or in an emergency... because you like to "be prepared" and tell her that she's just not old enough and big enough to be in a booster full time, but that she will be when she's _____ age, her shoulders are "here" (show her with the booster's headrest, since it's the frontier), and she's ___lbs or (if your kiddo is a slow gainer like my dd is and you are scratching your head about how much she'll weigh at that point), when she is in ____ grade, maybe put it dependent on obvious signs of maturity to prove she's a "big enough" kid to use a booster... like consistently good reports from school, doing chores, whatever.

nevaehsmommy

when she is in ____ grade, maybe put it dependent on obvious signs of maturity to prove she's a "big enough" kid to use a booster... like consistently good reports from school, doing chores, whatever.

Oh you are good. So good. I tried Nevaeh out in booster mode of the Nauti and was not really impressed. Neither was she. She was upset she could not buckle herself in. However she keeps buggin me about doing it again. A sticker chart just might be in order. She can ride in a booster on the way to church if she gets x amount of stickers during the week

Jessica61624

Kat_Momof3 said:
tell her that it was for "practice" to be sure she could use a booster in other cars for a spare seat or in an emergency... because you like to "be prepared" and tell her that she's just not old enough and big enough to be in a booster full time, but that she will be when she's _____ age, her shoulders are "here" (show her with the booster's headrest, since it's the frontier), and she's ___lbs or (if your kiddo is a slow gainer like my dd is and you are scratching your head about how much she'll weigh at that point), when she is in ____ grade, maybe put it dependent on obvious signs of maturity to prove she's a "big enough" kid to use a booster... like consistently good reports from school, doing chores, whatever.

We've been through this. It ended in her screaming she's a big kid! She knows 5 is when she's getting a purple booster seat. The frontier is back in the car nice and clean with straps! Hoping she doesn't throw a fit in the morning.

Kat_Momof3

it doesn't work for every kid, but it worked for mine... and I'm good all right... at bargaining, coercing, and (if needed) bribing... having Damian be off the charts for height yet only 18mo 8 days older than Jeffrey made it a necessity early on for Jeffrey to be okay with being harnessed while his brother wasn't anymore, to be in a booster past the age his brother had left them behind...

Ruthie, fortunately, is not as bad about it (now that she's older) because she's heard me preaching for so long that it's not about age ENTIRELY... it's also about size, maturity, and (when it comes to the highback/backless/no booster thing) the seatbelt fitting properly.

this past spring/summer she was asking for a backless... until she felt how the seatbelt was not as good of a fit, she had nowhere to rest her head, and she doesn't have that protected feel from the upper part of the booster around her body... so she knows why she's not ready for one yet... except in a rare occasion. Now when the vivo expires in 2013, I'm hoping she'll be ready.

mrosehughes

Could you try the 'race car driver' ploy? That worked for my nephew but I have no idea if it would work for a girl, lol.

Kat_Momof3

it could... Ruthie said hers was... but then, she's seen (doesn't ever remember her name, but has seen enough to know there are women drivers) Danica Patrick, she saw Reba play one in "little rascals" and of course, we're big on making sure she knows girls can do anything boys can do and vice versa (well, except for biologically impossible things)

Kayleen

And this is the reason I will not let DD ride in a HBB until she is ready/old enough to be in one part time - At least another year when it comes to starting preschool and kindy. She would be doing the exact same thing (Scream that she is a big girl).

I plan to keep her harnessed until she is at least 6yo, but will consider the HBB when it comes to school drop off with daycare (1mi from school, 12 passenger van-no headrests-for transport) or riding in secondary vehicle. Ultimately for me it is easier if she knows no other way. I have the final say in how she will ride in vehicles. Since she is only 35# now, she could be harnessed forever.

Jocey'sMommy

Jocelynn could care less whether its a booster or her Nautilus thank god, we are down to only needing a booster on fridays and she was not upset at all ( I think she likes being harnessed better though)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC