rf tethering

U

Unregistered

Hi there!
I'm not registered in here, but I have been lurking and reading, mainly because of all the Radian info (very helpful thus far!) as we're thinking about getting that for our youngest son when he outgrows his SafeSeat.
I do go to the car seat forum at Delphi forums, and had asked about tethering the Radian when it's used rf. I was told (by a canadian cst) that we aren't allowed to tether rf up here?
However, I did read a thread somewhere in here that had mentioned rf tethering and one cst said they are actually recommending it, if allowed by the car seat (of course), in AB?
Was that correct? If we had the Radian, should/would we be able to tether it while rf?
I've also heard that it performed equally whether tethered or not, when rf.
Thanks so much! I'm learning lots on here!
Elena

ADS

katrintrin

Not a tech but if the instructions say RF tetherd than do so!
Thats the reason why I had a Britax! I too have a Radian but havent installed it any in of my vehicles yet

skaterbabs

Canadian techs are routinely taught to not tether RF, but you can certainly do so as the instructions for the Radian allow it. Just don't expect your local tech to support you. It doesn't mean it's unsafe with or without the tether, just that in Canada it's not done generally.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm a tech in Mississauga and we do it, as long as it is okay w/ the manufacture (ie. only the RA, MA and RN) and as long as the parents want it. We present the options of tether or not tether while rf, and make sure parents understand that it is not a legal requirement, but encourage by the manufactures for added safety, explain the difference in design philosophy between those that 'cocoon' and those that can be rf-tethering, etc. Most often, parents opt for rf tethering because that's one feature why they spend the money in these seats in the first place.

I'm quite vocal about rf tethering and have been able to 'convert' our techs and instructors to go beyond the comfort zone of not rf tethering.

The 'lame' excuse given thus far by many techs or instructors is that it's not allowed since we are not taught to do it properly by Britax. Well, excuse me but since when did Graco, Evenflo, Cosco, etc. ever come to any training session to teach us on how to install their carseat, kwim? I think it's just easier to say TC doesn't allow it (which is not correct either) than to show that they don't know what to do or rather do it incorrectly.

Because we are not taught in the classroom on how to properly rf tethering, does not mean we are not smart enough to read the manual (which we have to do anyway) and, if necessary, do more research on our own to make sure we can do it.

Off my soap box.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I am a tech in Alberta and we are definitely encouraged to tether RF here when the seat allows.

As far as safety, according to what I've been told, a RF tether does not add much additional protection in a frontal collision. However, there are more than just frontal collisions and a RF tether adds a great benefit for side impact collisions which are the most deadly type of collision.

I will routinely encourage parents to RF tether and show them how to do it, providing their seat allows it (meaning they own a Marathon or Radian - the only two seats on the Canadian market that allow RF tethering).

snowbird25ca

I was in Jen's tech class, and am also a tech in Alberta, so have pretty much the same info as her.

I think part of why some techs out & out say not to tether is that it's ingrained that the cocooning that happens with a rf'ing seat is a protective benefit and that a rf'ing tethered seat won't cocoon. That's one of the reasons why our instructor thought that having a handle on an infant carrier up - even if it was allowed to be up by the manufacturer, wasn't a good thing - because it would interfere with cocooning.

But OTOH, she was very encouraging of rf tethering, so who knows. I think there is no official Canadian stance on rf tethering other than following the manufacturers directions. But different instructors have different levels of familiarity and comfort when it comes to rf tethering and this is one of those cases where you're seeing instructor beliefs being taught - simply because TC doesn't have an official stance.

Tam - I think you're spot on in your comments. No worries about venting, it's good to know others get ticked about similar things sometimes. :whistle:

tiggercat

Some Canadian instructors/techs are anti-tethering. My instructor refuses to allow us to tether Britax/Radians rearfacing at clinics. I usually discuss the subject with parents, then show the parents how to attach the d-ring and how tight to make it, and let them chose whether or not to use the tether.

My daughter's MA is braced and tethered, because I believe it is safer.

Natalie

hipmaman

I will routinely encourage parents to RF tether and show them how to do it, providing their seat allows it (meaning they own a Marathon or Radian - the only two seats on the Canadian market that allow RF tethering).

Don't forget the Britax Roundabout which also can be rf tethered.

cdncasper

I was taught that we don't tether RF but if I am doing a RF install with a MA, RD or RN than I will suggest tethering. I do tell the parents that TC says not to tether RF but that the carseat manufacturer does and your suppose to do what they say.

snowbird25ca

I was taught that we don't tether RF but if I am doing a RF install with a MA, RD or RN than I will suggest tethering. I do tell the parents that TC says not to tether RF but that the carseat manufacturer does and your suppose to do what they say.

Just wanted to ditto Jen. She specifically asked our instructor in class if TC says not to tether rf'ing, and we were told that it is NOT TC saying it, that it is some instructors and regions.

It's really sad actually that some regions are being so strongly told not to do it.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I thought they did. Oops. My instructor said they did. I will stop don't worry. So what does TC say about RF tethering?

TC has no statement regarding the issue of RF tethering other than to say Follow the Carseat Manual!! Which means if it tells you to RF tether, than they agree with it (in a roundabout sort of way ;) )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC