how safe is a 3.5 year old ffing

just in your opinions.. I am worried that Nolan won't make it much past that age rear facing, before he reaches the weight limit on our true fit rear facing..

If Nolan is 35 lbs at 3 years and 6 months (he is 31 lbs now but he has been gaining like a maniac,, He is definitely in the midst of a growth spurt). Chances are he will make it a while longer, but I want to know.. esp since we will be in the winter months around that time, and if this winter is anything like last ick.. I do not want to think about it.

So If he has to be turned ffing in say Feb when he is 3 and 6 months, in your opinion, is this ok? or should I investigate buying another car seat for him? (though with his height and weight there are not many options in the usa)

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would not buy a new seat, and I definitely would not import, to keep a 3.5yo RFing. FFing in a good top-tethered seat is quite safe at that age.

CommMom

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat:

In a good, TT'd seat, I'd be fine with it. DS started FF full-time right around 3. He's right at 35 lbs and has a ridiculously long torso. The only thing I could have gotten to continue to RF him would be a Radian or an import. At that age, I decided I was okay with him FF full-time rather than getting spendy with another seat when I don't even know how much more time it would have bought me.

So yeah, I'd be fine with it at 3.5.

See this reassures my plan, I was going to buy a frontier 85 when he maxed out the true fit rear facing.. economically it is just the wisest move to make for us. I just want to make sure it is the safest move.

he is fine for now thankfully, he turned 3 in aug.. so maybe he will be fine for a while, but I kind of doubt it to be honest... he is growing so fast it is insane.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
See this reassures my plan, I was going to buy a frontier 85 when he maxed out the true fit rear facing.. economically it is just the wisest move to make for us. I just want to make sure it is the safest move.

Economically, the wisest move is to turn the TrueFit around and continue to use it FFing.

Economically, the wisest move is to turn the TrueFit around and continue to use it FFing.

I am going to do that at first.. :) but I do want a frontier 85 for him at some point lol. see I figure if I don't have to buy another convertible car seat, I can get him a frontier 85 at some point.. if I do get him another convertible car seat, I will have to go with a nautilus when he gets tall for it.. I can just use the true fit and start putting aside money for the frontier

April

I wouldn't worry about it at all. And for the record, most of my long torsoed kids wouldve gotten to a decent booster age (5-6) in the TF forward facing. I find that around age 4 they grow legs. My DS2 has been on the top slots of the Radian for 2.5 years and still has about half an inch before he's even with the top slots. Oh, and I love the TF FF as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baylor

I am going to do that at first.. :) but I do want a frontier 85 for him at some point lol. see I figure if I don't have to buy another convertible car seat, I can get him a frontier 85 at some point.. if I do get him another convertible car seat, I will have to go with a nautilus when he gets tall for it.. I can just use the true fit and start putting aside money for the frontier

I have a huge toddler in GN. At 3 he was 43 lbs and in the second to last harness slot. But he is now 7 months past that I am just now having to move up to the last slot. I was so worried that he would just grow right through it but he slowed way down for awhile. It seems he has slimmed out and gotten a little taller but it is leg length not torso.

I thought I would buy a FR85 too but now I am not sure I will need it. I think there is no way to tell and I would just max out the seats you have and wait and see.

Holly

I would be fine with it. My son turns 3 in feb and he'll be turned around probably in March or April.

hrice

I will be faced with a similar dilemma soon. We just downsized to a Civic and I was able to get a RF RN and RF CCO to puzzle very nicely next to each other with room for my almost 10 :)eek:Yikes did I just say TEN) year old outboard. Peyton does not have allot of time left RF in the CCO...about 6 mos or so. I REALLY don't want to turn Colton before 4 (6/26/12)but once Peyton outgrows the CCO I don't know what other seats I could fit side by side RF in there.:( And I don't want to make Dustin (over 5' tall) climb over a RF seat.

I keep trying to tell myself he is perfectly safe FF but I still worry about it. I am warming up to the idea. DH just asked me yesterday when we can turn Colton FF so we can get a Nauti. LOL he has wanted one since they came out! He will be so dissapointed when I break the news that I don't want one (head slump).:p

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I have no issues with a FF 3.5 year old, and i wouldn't buy a new seat just to keep him rear facing (unless money wasn't an issue and you *wanted* to get a new seat).

StPaulMom

My DS turned FF in the TF at 3.5 this summer :) Obviously, I"m comfortable with it. And I want to reiterate that this is a GREAT FF seat! He's still not even on the tallest slot AND it's ridiculously comfortable! I think it's entirely safe to say that most kids would fit in the TF FF until age 5-6. (My 6 year old still fits!)

see the cheap way to go would be the ff him in the true fit then give him Fiona's nautilus when she goes booster full time.. BUT .. he fits weird in the nautilus.. also I really want the frontier because my car is awful for seatbelt installs when forward facing, because of where the belt stalks are located..so when I have to switch from latch to seatbelt, it is going to stink.. (Fiona is super light weight) BUT Nolan is growing at a heavier rate.. I also have a feeling he is going to need a 5 pt harness for a lot longer than his sisters have. I know that I can get a good long belt path install with a frontier.. so I really think that is the best option for him.

Kat_Momof3

once past 2, it's all about what you're able to do... though I encourage trying to aim for age 3-5... for those who can... sure, rearface and then booster (if you can rearface to age 5-6yrs)

but don't feel bad or iffy turning a 3.5yr old... the safest way for your child to travel is in a properly fitted carseat that fits him, the vehicle, that you can afford, and that is used and installed properly. And he'll already be safer than 90% of kids just by having his seat used and installed properly and correct for his height and weight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC