A strange "rule" I've yet to hear...

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Talking with a friend yesterday that knows I'm a car seat person... he tells me about how he noticed a mutual friend of ours that is expecting a baby had their car seat installed in the center seat of their Accord. He was all proud of himself for making sure they immediately moved it outboard because "the center seat isn't safe because if something came flying through the windshield there's nothing to block it and it would kill the child."

Oh.... ok.

ADS

scariestone

So I guess we should never RF them because something could come flying through the back window? A friend of ours often comes up with "rules" that she's heard(and believes) that literally leave me speechless. There seems to be a lot more misinformation out there than correct info, unfortunately.

JeDeeLenae

Jessica61624 said:
I've heard they shouldn't sit in the middle ff because if they're unbuckled they'll fly through the windshield.

But why would they be unbuckled? What a weird "rule".

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I heard of a girl in the front seat who got a long piece of rebar jammed into her brain when it came through the windshield (she lived, it was some 'miracle survival' tv show years ago), so I suppose it's within the realm of possibilities, but... the statistics on that have got to be miniscule compared to the dangers of side impacts. (And even the risk of that is small, ANY seat in the back, properly used and installed, is very, very safe, so I don't fret too much over center vs outboard).

canadiangie

I hear this all the flipping time. It drives me crazy. And even after I explain about side impact crashes and why middle is safer (up to 40% safer depending on the type of vehicle and details of crash), they still seem sort of sure that while what I'm saying is probably true, what they think about things flying through windshields is still a valid reason to move a child outboard. I think this is especially awesome when it's a FF 1yo I'm dealing with. :thumbsdown:

Brianna

Well this video has a lot of views, it may be part of the reason there's that "rule" going around- there's not much in the first 30 seconds if you want to skip that
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOhgMAOrp0c"]2x4 through my windshield... - YouTube[/ame]

BabyKaykes

ILoveMy3Boys said:
Wow. How often do you hear of things coming through the windshield anyway?!!?

Not often. Windshields are made to shatter and fall as a unit so that things DON'T come flying through. I've heard this one a lot, too. But only as a FF argument.

CommMom

Senior Community Member
Didn't somebody get impaled (or almost get impaled) like that in one of the Final Destination movies? Or maybe I'm thinking of a different movie. I'm pretty sure there's at least one movie where something comes through the windshield to get somebody.

Maybe people with that "rule" have seen a few too many horror movies.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ha! I was JUST on this fetus's birth board on another site, and someone was insisting that the middle shouldn't be used, if possible. Turns out it's because there's no LATCH, though, not for fear of being impaled.

agave

Didn't somebody get impaled (or almost get impaled) like that in one of the Final Destination movies? Or maybe I'm thinking of a different movie. I'm pretty sure there's at least one movie where something comes through the windshield to get somebody.

Maybe people with that "rule" have seen a few too many horror movies.

The Decent, I think it was even a double impaling.

I always give pipe and rebar trucks lots of space but I'd put both kids in the center If I could.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC