Vent Teen Mom car seat usage

AuntieKatie

I was watching Teen Mom earlier today (guilty pleasure lol) and they showed one of the moms, Farrah, holding her 18 month old baby IN HER LAP while in the taxi on a trip...buckled in with the belt. :eek: Given, she did put her in a car seat the next time they went somewhere, but HELLO, where was that seat before?? Luckily nothing happened, but I was blown away.

Not the first time I've noticed awful car seat use in this show, but this was the worst for sure. Other times it's been common (but still bad) things like heavy coat wearing and twisted straps... things that most people don't know about/notice, But you'd think even an 18 year old mother would know better than to ride with her toddler on her lap. :doh:

Okay, rant over and on a more positive note, one of the other moms, Maci, just upgraded her 2 year old to a GN from a Cosco (FF, but he's always in it right!) She get's the Teen Mom good car seat user award for sure :)

[I'm hoping that some other people watch this show and know what I'm talking about so that I don't look completely crazy-pants hehe :whistle: ]

Last edited:
ADS

tjham

I don't watch it but I've heard enough horror stories about it to know what you mean. :eek:

It reminds me of the nature shows where the turtle gets flipped on its back and no one helps it, even though you KNOW the camera man could go over and flip it back and save its life.

The people making the video or show think it is only their place to document what happens and not to change it, but I sure couldn't stand by and let the turtle die, or as is the case with the Teen Mom show, the kid be buckled in unsafely (or not at all) and just keep filming as if nothing was wrong. :(

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
lol I posted immediately on Facebook the WTF at Farrah with Sophia on her lap!!

And she's had that Comfortsport (albeit Sophia is barely strapped in the thing) in previous episodes so it's definitely hers, I dunno why the eff she couldn't use it in the taxi! To make myself feel better I say it was one of those airport hotels that's like half a mile away from the airport.

Did you see a couple episodes back where Ryan had Bentley in that Chase in his FOUR person Jeep Wrangler... in the center "seat" installed with the outboard seatbelt? :eek:

msg221

I saw that episode as well, and was pretty horrified. I was wondering if she had brought a seat with her at all, then was relieved to see it later in the show.

And then there was Leah, strapped into her seat with her big puffy coat on.

Another show with bad car seat usage, or in this case, no car seat usage, was on Dance Moms, where Cathy just had Vivi in the back seat with the seat belt that does not fit, at all. She is only six, and she needs a booster!

robbertbobbert

Another show with bad car seat usage, or in this case, no car seat usage, was on Dance Moms, where Cathy just had Vivi in the back seat with the seat belt that does not fit, at all. She is only six, and she needs a booster!

She was in one later, but in that shot Cathy didn't have a seatbelt on. These people.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Bentley has had the Nautilus for ages; he got it right around his first birthday. Then he was in a variety of seats including a Graco Cargo, a Century seat, and the Chase in his dad's car. Suddenly the Nautilus is back.

I saw the episode with Farrah and Sophia in the taxi, but she did haul the ComfortSport on her trip and put it in the Realtor's car.

JeDeeLenae

I remember getting picked up at an airport by a taxi with my first son and being told I didn't need a car seat for taxis. Unfortunately, most people think they're optional and it was probably in the trunk. Even worse, the way some taxi drivers drive is enough to make me pay the extra to rent a car with a seat!

Brianna

Even worse, the way some taxi drivers drive is enough to make me pay the extra to rent a car with a seat!

Renting a seat from a taxi or rental car service isn't recommended. You can never tell the history of the seat, you don't know if it's been in a crash or the harness straps have been washed, etc.

BrookysMommy

I was just coming to vent about this! I swear, once you get interested in car seat safety its almost impossible to watch tv, or atleast reality tv. Its gotten so bad!

NannyMom

I thought the Realtor brought the carseat with him. She made some comment.... that made me think that.

ILoveMy3Boys

Did anybody catch the tether strap attatched to the harness of Bentley's seat in Ryan's truck when he picked him up from Maci's school? :eek: She also put him in the front seat of her car when they took Kyle to the hospital for his surgery!

lovemybabies924

ILoveMy3Boys said:
Did anybody catch the tether strap attatched to the harness of Bentley's seat in Ryan's truck when he picked him up from Maci's school? :eek: She also put him in the front seat of her car when they took Kyle to the hospital for his surgery!

It looked like Kyle needed the whole back seat so I didn't think too much about that just sucked she had to do that in the snow

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
NannyMom said:
I thought the Realtor brought the carseat with him. She made some comment.... that made me think that.

No it showed her carrying it in the airport and installing it in his car.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

JeDeeLenae

briheartzu said:
Renting a seat from a taxi or rental car service isn't recommended. You can never tell the history of the seat, you don't know if it's been in a crash or the harness straps have been washed, etc.

What are the rules for cars with the built in car seats? I actually hadn't considered that before. But at the same time, wouldn't it be better at that point with the option of either my lap or used car seat, to use a rented seat rather than my lap. Obviously the most ideal thing would have been to have my own seat, but I hadn't thought that far in advance.

Brianna

What are the rules for cars with the built in car seats? I actually hadn't considered that before. But at the same time, wouldn't it be better at that point with the option of either my lap or used car seat, to use a rented seat rather than my lap. Obviously the most ideal thing would have been to have my own seat, but I hadn't thought that far in advance.

Most, if not all, of us have made less than ideal car seat choices at some point in time.

I wouldn't trust a built in car seat because you don't know the history of it- but yes, given the choice between rented seat and putting a child on my lap, I'd go with rented seat. All we can do is learn as we go and do the best we can with the information we have available to us :thumbsup:

Ducky5306

emma41256 said:
lol I posted immediately on Facebook the WTF at Farrah with Sophia on her lap!!

And she's had that Comfortsport (albeit Sophia is barely strapped in the thing) in previous episodes so it's definitely hers, I dunno why the eff she couldn't use it in the taxi! To make myself feel better I say it was one of those airport hotels that's like half a mile away from the airport.

Did you see a couple episodes back where Ryan had Bentley in that Chase in his FOUR person Jeep Wrangler... in the center "seat" installed with the outboard seatbelt? :eek:

She flew into Ft. Lauderdale airport and stayed on/near the beach so nope it wasnt within half a mile :(

Sent from my HTC using Car-Seat.Org

violets_mommy

I saw Farrah and Sophia and got ill too! And she always has this huge coat on Sophia as well.

Amber with Leah are other horrible ones. If I'm not mistaken, on one of theres several episodes back, when they went out of town, Leah was pitching a fit and they let her get out of her seat while driving.

Maci is pretty good with Bentley. She definitely is the best compares to the others.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC