Trying to figure what it is

Cath3114

Backstory: My BF and I are long distance due to my schooling. I'm starting to be around his son, H, (4yo) more often, but he only has him every other weekend, and we do most of our time together on the opposite weekends. My DD isn't his, but he has taken on that role, for the most part :)

BF drives a 2-seater truck with jump seats (2007 Nissan. Frontier? Idk). So unfortunately, H is in the front seat with him (FF). I believe he has a key for the airbag and it is off, but not positive. I know he's not the greatest about car seats, but I'm trying. He does respect my views and decisions when it comes to DD.

H was playing on the scale tonight, and he's 39 pounds even, just in underwear. So I was asking BF about his seat. I found out he doesn't do the top tether, the harness straps are all twisted, and only one buckle tongue works. H can also totally get himself out, and frequently does so whenever they're out in the country on dirt roads (this is actually the least of my worries - we are talking very secluded country).

I was able to get a quick look at the seat, but it was pitch dark. I told him since he's almost 40 pounds and probably is with clothes on, I needed to check the weight limit for the harness. The only sticker was for the booster 40-100 pounds. I'll describe it as best I can:

Eddie Bauer, tan cover, black base. Combination, no RF belt path. Not expired, H is the only one who has had it, so 3-4 years old. Armrests aren't fabric covered and there's a big red button to rotate them. Seems to have some kind of recline function with the red handle at the bottom. Harness must be rethread, but I didn't look if it was front adjust. Belt guides on top are black. No adjustable headrest. No pillow or harness covers (I suppose there could have been at one point, though). Eddie Bauer written across the head area. The fabric is that quilted stitched one.

My guess is the harness limit is 40 pounds, so he definitely needs a new seat. I know he's boostered full-time with his mom. But I'm not going anywhere near that issue. BF doesn't seem happy he's just in a booster with her, so he should be open to harnessing a little longer. I would love to see him in a Nauti, but think a Maestro would be more realistic. I want to stress that he does need the harness longer, since he just turned 4 and he's nowhere near mature to sit right with the belt. And this would be a good reason to trade in my crashed seat.

Sorry so long. Just looking for opinions on what the seat might be, and if a Maestro might work. I don't have his height.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Sounds like the summit, 40 lbs limit. A Maestro would be a good one to check out.

Cath3114

Judi said:
Sounds like the summit, 40 lbs limit. A Maestro would be a good one to check out.

That looks about right! Now to just get him to get a new seat!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC