back pain in Graco Nautilus, any suggestions?

rachelandtyke

My friend's dd (4yo) rides harnessed in a Nauti. Friend was commenting last night that she's started to notice that it is hurting her dd's back - sometimes it is red and looks like it is almost getting rubbed raw. Her dd is newly 4 and just a little shorter and maybe a little heavier than my dd, but friend says it's almost like her backbone sticks out a lot. Any thoughts or suggestions on what they could do?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
That's a known issue with some seats, but not one i have heard with the nauti, to be honest. My *first* thought is to ask if they have it installed with latch or seatbelt? Because if it is a seatbelt install, my concern would be that the latch hook is stuck in the beltpath and THAT it what the child's back is rubbing against. Otherwise it tends to be a fairly smooth, well padded seatback. If they have ruled out the possibility of it being something(small toy, etc) that shouldnt be in the beltpath, or inside/under the cover as what is causing the irritation, then maybe it is just the girls body causing an odd/rare pressure point. In which case I'm not sure there would be much to do but switch to a different seat?

tiggercat

Megan complains of back pain on long trips in the nautilus, I think because her legs hang and put strain on her back. I might try a soft footstool of sorts (sleeping bag? Empty cardboard box?) to see if some leg support helps. Megan has taken to just resting hers against the back of the driver's seat.

crunchierthanthou

That's a known issue with some seats, but not one i have heard with the nauti, to be honest.

It's been discussed quite a bit with the GN. It's definitely not a new concern, but it doesn't happen every time. The conclusion we came to is that sometimes the button connecting the LATCH strap isn't pushed through all the way. It sticks out on the child's side and rubs against her back.

Here's what it should look like-

GNbuttonstem.jpg

see how there are two ridges through the back of the shell (not counting the smaller one at the end)? That's how it should be. If she can only see one on the back, then it wasn't pushed through correctly. I'd tell her to call Graco and say she compared it to another GN (as in, through this photo ;)) and that it's causing her child pain due to the way it's inserted. Graco customer service is generally top notch, but it they won't help her maybe she can exchange it where she bought it.

Beyond those options, I might even go rogue and remove the button entirely. :eek: The LATCH strap has to be connected to the seat under FMVSS 225, but not for any safety/functional reasons. I think pulling it out would potentially cause less stress to the shell than trying to push it through farther. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC