Do any of you Technicians make money checking peoples carseats?

lovinwaves

If I have a family that wants me to check their carseats for them, and they ask how much does it cost what would I say, or what do YOU say? Do you just say "I take donations", or what? :confused:

TIA!

ADS

scatterbunny

I was taught that you cannot accept money for services unless you have liability insurance. If you do it for free, you are covered under the Good Samaritan act, or something like that. When you do clinics/checks at a business or with an organization like SafeKids, you are covered under their insurance.

lovinwaves

I was taught that you cannot accept money for services unless you have liability insurance. If you do it for free, you are covered under the Good Samaritan act, or something like that. When you do clinics/checks at a business or with an organization like SafeKids, you are covered under their insurance.

So donations would be fine, right?

The reason I ask is this guy wants me to do his carseats on Saturday, which technically by then I will be a Technician, and he asked how much. I just don't know what to say to him.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I do. www.seatcheck.net/services.html . I do carry insurance from HPSO.

Only a handful of states have a good samaritan law that covers CPS activities specifically. Broader good samaritan laws are usually specific to emergency response.

Unless you are directly employed to do inspections, you may not be covered by any other policy. This would apply to people who volunteer or do it part time for an organization or business. You really need to ask your employer if you are covered if the inspections are not a direct part of your paid work assignment. Even Safe Kids chapters and coalitions would usually not cover volunteers unless it is under a Buckle Up grant for an event. Some homeowners or umbrella policies might cover you, but usually only if it is done on a volunteer basis and you'd want to get it in writing before you assume you are covered.

You can certainly accept money whether you are covered or not. The only time you might not want to accept money is if your coverage is dependent on you being a volunteer or if your state has a good samaritan law that covers only volunteers. You could always tell someone that you would do it if they give a $20 donation to your local Safe Kids or something.

CRS

Senior Community Member
Right now I don't charge but I am considering it - but only to cover costs for materials i.e. swim noodles, locking clips, anchor bolts, extensions etc. Thankfully my instructor gave me a good stash of locking clips so I'm ok for them for a while yet!
Yesterday I had a dad come to me to have his seat installed, poor guy looked at me like I was insane when he asked how much it would be after I finished installing his seat (gave him a free swim noodle and locking clip) and I said it was nothing - free. He asked me two or three times and was shocked when I said no charge - just spread the word! LOL
Fortunately I don't really have to worry about liability issues here in NZ and even if I did charge, I think I would feel far too guilty to charge more then materials! I have had people tell me I should offer my services (paid of course) to others - maybe in the future!

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I usually get fed and have occasionally been given a gift certificate and/or t-shirt from the event sponsor (major insurance company, local mall, etc).

:D Today, I "made" $5 because I was snooping at a car with a booster. I think it was an Evenflo Big Kid (Do they make one with a red center panel?) or maybe a Combi, since the sides seemed high, but I couldn't see too well - I was trying to look through a west face car window at about 5:00. I glanced down to make sure I didn't fall off the sidewalk and there was a $5 bill laying on the ground!! :D

skaterbabs

I don't charge, but I have on occasion had a parent buy me a cup of coffee or lunch, which I won't say no to. ;)

LimePink

Senior Community Member
I'm not a tech, but one of the tech instructors in my town charges $35 per hour and she will come to your home or meet you somewhere. I'm not sure if she has insurance or not...I've never been to her!

cdncasper

Lucky! How come you get them for free?

MPI(Manitoba Public Insurance) gives them to me for free. The lady in charge of road safety did the tech course with me so whenever I need anything than I just call and she gives them to me for free. If I am really needing pool noodles than I go to dollarama and get them for $1 each.

CRS

Senior Community Member
MPI(Manitoba Public Insurance) gives them to me for free. The lady in charge of road safety did the tech course with me so whenever I need anything than I just call and she gives them to me for free. If I am really needing pool noodles than I go to dollarama and get them for $1 each.

Ohhhh I'm so jealous! LOL. Pool noodles here cost about $8 each and Locking clips between $5-8!

cdncasper

Ohhhh I'm so jealous! LOL. Pool noodles here cost about $8 each and Locking clips between $5-8!

I saw locking clips the other day at wal-mart for about $1.50 each but normally they are around $6. I was tempted to buy some even though I have like 6.

CRS

Senior Community Member
I saw locking clips the other day at wal-mart for about $1.50 each but normally they are around $6. I was tempted to buy some even though I have like 6.

Ouch! That walmart price is pretty good, we don't have Walmart in my country though :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If I have a family that wants me to check their carseats for them, and they ask how much does it cost what would I say, or what do YOU say? Do you just say "I take donations", or what? :confused:

TIA!

I had 'health educator' insurance from www.hpso.com and charged 20$ a seat. If you have homeowner's insurance, it also may cover you should you get sued. No one's been sued yet, so there's no precedent...just make them do their own seats before they leave, and document everything you do and say (do you have a check form? The SK one is good).

:)

lovinwaves

I had 'health educator' insurance from www.hpso.com and charged 20$ a seat. If you have homeowner's insurance, it also may cover you should you get sued. No one's been sued yet, so there's no precedent...just make them do their own seats before they leave, and document everything you do and say (do you have a check form? The SK one is good).

:)

Hmm... I think I do, would it be in the back of my student manual? DH said he will make some copies for me.

My instructors said "DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT", so that is what I will do :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC