Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Roundabout 50

Senior Community Member

Roundabout 50

Ive actually never owned this seat How does the install compare to the ma65? Is it just one strap now for latch or is there some how 2 still? Does it take longer? Its the same shell as the ma65 right??

Opinions on this seat are welcomed

This seat maybe just what Im looking for and its on sale! I think I need to sell my cco asap and try this out!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Roundabout 50

No LATCH bars. One LATCH strap like most seats have. No lockoffs. Same basic shell as the MA65. I think there might be a difference in number of crotch strap positions, but don't remember any more.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

4. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    No LATCH bars. One LATCH strap like most seats have. No lockoffs. Same basic shell as the MA65. I think there might be a difference in number of crotch strap positions, but don't remember any more.
    There are 3 crotch strap positions.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

6. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member rxmommy's Avatar

Haven't ever owned a RA50 but I have two RA40s and love them. The install is a snap. No LATCH bars so you do have to rethread for FF/RF change. Can't say that I have ever done a seatbelt RFing install....maybe???

I dunno, I probably shouldn't recommend a seat I've never owned or played with but I bet it's an easy install most of the time. I really do love our classic RAs. And one's expiring soon, so how much do you want for that CCO??
    Annie, mommy to...
    Olivia 8/04, Evelyn 3/06, angel #3 10/08,
    Sophia 1/10 and
    Isaac 6/11/12

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

I have a RA50 and used to have a MA65. I love them. I have never had a problem installing either of them, latch or seatbelt, rfing or ffing. It has to be one of the easiest seats to use.

CCO 4/15

9. Thank You from:

CPS Technician

We have two RA50s for my niece. I am not very car seat savy and I can install it very quickly and easily. I have used it in all kids of vehicles and I haven't had a problem with installation or space.
    I don't have a lot of experience with the myride. I only used it regularly for about 6 weeks in one vehicle before it was crashed but from playing with it in my car, I think the RA50 is an easier, quicker install.

I haven't had any complaints with them thus far but I have noticed that my niece has already started becoming squished in hers and she is tiny (like 33in and maybe 22lbs with long legs at 25 months). She still rides in it fine though and doesn't complain or act like she is uncomfortable, its just something I have observed.
    On the other hand, she has oodles of room in the myride all around (we still have the old one and she likes to play in it). Just something to think about.

Oh, also, I have only ever done seat belt installs.

Yep, everyone covered it pretty well. No lock-offs. No LATCH bars. One LATCH strap. Super easy LATCH install. Same shell size as the original/classic Marathon. 35 lb RF weight limit. No harness pad covers. No HUGS. Three crotch strap positions.

I just took advantage of the sale, too, and get one this week.

I know you're looking for a light-ish seat...I don't know the weight of this one off the top of my head, but my 8-year old carried it into the house from the garage.

Here's DS2 in it. He's 20 months old, 33", 26 lbs.

CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

12. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member

YAY!! I think Ive found the solution to my dilema! It will fit in my center and still possible for outboard riders to buckle because it dosent have those metal latch bars Be light weight and easy to install with seatbelt and latch if needed Plus it will give front passengers enough leg room!! I just listed my cco for swap so keep your eyes posted if your looking for one

Im one happy happy happy momma right now!!

So glad you've found a solution. I do love the cover on the RA50.

Yup, I have an RA50 that I found for half off at Target and put it in my mom's car. It's super easy and allows plenty of front-to-back space (important since she drives a Forester... ugh...)
    Kate // CPST, SK Senior Checker, & Mom to M (12/2010)

Senior Community Member

Has anyone seen the Kathryn in store or is strictly online sold?

My Target used to carry the Kathryn in-store, but I haven't seen it since they started carrying the Ashton/Usher/Upton/whatever the purple-y stripe one is called.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

Kathryn is the one I found in-store for half off. I've seen it in a couple other Targets that also have the purpley one, but not all.

Senior Community Member

What is the purpley one?? The striped center one? Id poop my pants if I found one for half off

BTW: My cco is up in swap so go check it out yall!

Ya, the striped one. I think it's called Ashton.

Senior Community Member rxmommy's Avatar

I have seen the Kathryn in stores.
    Annie, mommy to...
    Olivia 8/04, Evelyn 3/06, angel #3 10/08,
    Sophia 1/10 and
    Isaac 6/11/12

The purple-y striped one is the one my DS2 is in. It's denim outer with purple/blue/cream stripes. Yes, I bought it for a boy.

http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/r...out-50-classic
    CPST & Mom to:

Senior Community Member

IMO that cover is just fine for a boy or girl