Have a question for you Technicians about owners manuals!

lovinwaves

Do you actually read each vehicle owner's manual AND carseat manual when you are installing someone's child restraint each and every time?

ADS

lovinwaves

My instructor said I MUST read every vehicle's owners manual each and every time I do an install, because each vehicle is different and I shouldn't assume. The carseat manual to me would be different, because the Marathon for instance I wouldn't need to read unless I just needed to double check something.

scatterbunny

Well, I wouldn't read the whole manual--just look at the table of contents for the sections on child restraints and LATCH and airbag info and read those parts. ;)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I do what Scatterbunny suggested for installing my kids' seats and would want to do the same if and when I become a tech, with the LATCH manual handy in case the vehicle/seat manuals were missing or ambiguous about tether anchor or lower anchor usage or locations. I :love: my LATCH manual and think it will also be a great reference for future car shopping. :)

scatterbunny

Oh yes, I can't imagine being a tech, doing seat checks, without the LATCH manual!

My instructors gave out incorrect tether anchor info to a lady at a check with a Husky. I knew it was wrong but didn't want to correct my instructor, and she did send her off with the warning to contact her vehicle manufacturer. But the LATCH manual, especially the parts discussing tether anchor usage over 40/48 pounds, is like GOLD to me.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I do just what Jenny said + I review my LATCH manual everyso often outside of checks so I can more easily referrence it during a check -- anxiously awaiting my updated copy!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Thanks sweety :love:

You're welcome. The cover of the manual is the purtiest shade of purple, too, an extra bonus for fans of purple. I had to rescue it a couple of times from my DDs. They're drawn to the purple cover, and DD1 originally assumed it was a new coloring book, lol.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Do you actually read each vehicle owner's manual AND carseat manual when you are installing someone's child restraint each and every time?

I try to remember to look at one or both manuals *as an example to the parent* :)... you have to model good manual-reading behavior, lol. (I really don't need to read every manual every time... I mean, who here does? :whistle: )

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I read the vehicle manual if it is a car I am not familiar with. But most minivans I have read the manual and I remember if there is something weird about a car or not. So usually I am good there. And then the slew of Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Acura, Nissan, Infiniti sedans and SUV's I get I have done so many installs in them that I am familiar with their rules also. But I tell the parent this. "I am familiar with this vehicle but if you ever have any questions about seat installs that is where you should look and if you can't find your answer give the manufacture a call". And car-seats I am lucky because 85% of all my installs are Britax seats so I don't have to read the manual but when I do get a different seat I read the manual because I am not familiar with the other makes as well.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
If I don't know the seat or the vehicle. If I have installed that car seat a million times and know how to do it, then I don't read the manual every time. Same w/the vehicle..

lynsgirl

I try to remember to look at one or both manuals *as an example to the parent* :)... you have to model good manual-reading behavior, lol. (I really don't need to read every manual every time... I mean, who here does? :whistle: )

:yeahthat: What she said! :D

CDNTech

Senior Community Member

This is what I do too.

CRS

Senior Community Member

If it's a car I have never made an install in i.e. different make/model/year then I've done then yes absolutely I read the manual. Actually, even if I have installed a car seat in that kind of car I'd still probably read the manual to refresh my memory.

As for car seats, if it's one that I've installed time and time again, as in it's the EXACT same seat, same instructions, then no I'm probably not going to read the manual again. Unless of course, I'm unsure or need to refresh my memory!

ETA: But I always point out important things to the parent in the manual and tell them to read it twice, even thrice over when they get home.

CPS_obsessed_EMT

Senior Community Member
Yes, I do.

Even if it is a vehicle or seat that I am "familiar" with.

For example:

I am very familiar with the SnugRide, but some yrs, you can have the handle up, some yrs you can't use both the base recline and noodle, etc.

Or like with my husbands pickup- he has a model and yr pickup that generally has front air bags (but not new enough for the switch).
It is a regular cab pickup, so we have our dd's RFing convertible installed there. I get panicky comments all the time that I can't have a RFing CR in front of an airbag,
BUT- my husbands pickup was manufactured in Canada, and doesn't have any airbags like the same make/model/year that was made in the US.
Now flip that around, if you think a vehicle doesn't have airbags, but maybe for some reason they ordered that vehicle new, and had them added, or it was manufactured somewhere else where they maybe DID add them (don't know if that would ever happen) and you accidently miss the tiny SRS symbol, it could be bad bad bad.
Or say I assumed that all SnugRides could have the handle up just because *my* snugride manual said I could.

Those scenerios are probably not common, but I agree with the PP's in that we STILL have to be good examples to the parents.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC