Question Help explaining/conviencing a friend

kate4478

HELP! A friend of mine has her DS (4) in an Eddie Bauer FF something or other seat on the passenger side and DD(5 month old) in a snugride back harness adjuster seat in the middle. Both are latched and seat belted! :eek: So yes they are sharing latch anchors and FF seat is not top tethered. When they were leaving our house one night I walked out with them and told her I wanted to check there seats to make sure and keep her cuties safe. She wouldn't let me uninstall them since they were going home and it was late, but I did tell her to make sure straps were snug and chest clip at arm pits. She drives a ford explorer probably an 08 or 09. I couldn't find the top tether and she didn't feel like checking the Manuel. I was hoping she would have taken my advise and maybe done what I had mentioned about not using both latch and a seat belt when she got home. But it doesn't look like it. :( were on vacation with them now and they are still that way. :( we all went to dinner last night and i suggested going to dinner together and riding in our Acadia. I was really hoping they would, that way I could install them in my truck then reinstall them in hers correctly. She said it was too much trouble and there a ***** to reinstall. So how do I explain that you shouldn't use latch and a seatbelt at the same time? Besides that it hasn't been crash tested. I told her that one and she just came back with seems like 2 is better than 1. (rolls eyes) Also does anyone know where the top tether is? I'm just thinking that my mil has a ford escape and her tethers are on the ceiling. Maybe that's where they are??

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

CPST_Augie

CPS Technician
Both the seatbelt and LATCH will be expecting to take the full force of an accident causing double the stress on the belt path. This could cause the seat to malfunction (think breaking the shell from too much force.) Also, as for the latch anchor that is in use by two seats, both seats will be exerting force on that anchor point. With double the force (and being pulled in TWO directions), the anchor could (theoretically) break free from the car or malfunction some other way.

I don't have a latch manual to look up top tether but I know others have it.

Last edited:

CPST_Augie

CPS Technician
If no one replies about the teather, I've had luck in the past just calling the vehicle manufacturer and flat out asking if there was one and where. :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The 2003-2010 Ford Explorers have top tether anchors for each second row seating position (3 second row tether anchors if it's a second row bench seat and 2 second row tether anchors if it has second row outboard bucket seats without a center seating position), and for each of the third row outboard positions if equipped with a third row. The second row top tether anchors are U-shaped metal rings located on the floor behind the second row vehicle seat, and the third row's top tether anchors are cargo tie-downs on the rear tailgate sill.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC