Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Help explaining/conviencing a friend

HELP! A friend of mine has her DS (4) in an Eddie Bauer FF something or other seat on the passenger side and DD(5 month old) in a snugride back harness adjuster seat in the middle. Both are latched and seat belted! So yes they are sharing latch anchors and FF seat is not top tethered. When they were leaving our house one night I walked out with them and told her I wanted to check there seats to make sure and keep her cuties safe. She wouldn't let me uninstall them since they were going home and it was late, but I did tell her to make sure straps were snug and chest clip at arm pits. She drives a ford explorer probably an 08 or 09. I couldn't find the top tether and she didn't feel like checking the Manuel. I was hoping she would have taken my advise and maybe done what I had mentioned about not using both latch and a seat belt when she got home. But it doesn't look like it. were on vacation with them now and they are still that way. we all went to dinner last night and i suggested going to dinner together and riding in our Acadia. I was really hoping they would, that way I could install them in my truck then reinstall them in hers correctly. She said it was too much trouble and there a bitch to reinstall. So how do I explain that you shouldn't use latch and a seatbelt at the same time? Besides that it hasn't been crash tested. I told her that one and she just came back with seems like 2 is better than 1. (rolls eyes) Also does anyone know where the top tether is? I'm just thinking that my mil has a ford escape and her tethers are on the ceiling. Maybe that's where they are??

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Kate(CPST) - Mommy to Gage(5/18/07)
    FF in a Blaze Recaro Prosport & Cardinal Frontier 85 SICT

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Help explaining/conviencing a friend

Both the seatbelt and LATCH will be expecting to take the full force of an accident causing double the stress on the belt path. This could cause the seat to malfunction (think breaking the shell from too much force.) Also, as for the latch anchor that is in use by two seats, both seats will be exerting force on that anchor point. With double the force (and being pulled in TWO directions), the anchor could (theoretically) break free from the car or malfunction some other way.

I don't have a latch manual to look up top tether but I know others have it.
    Last edited by CPST_Augie; 09-10-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    Augie, wife to Chris, momma to SIX angels, volunteer for www.histio.org, and aunt to 20, and an honorary aunt to three (including the most amazingly brave 3 year old histio warrior/bone marrow transplant survivor there is)! Yep, <--That's me!

www.marrow.org

Thank you! I will share your info!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Kate(CPST) - Mommy to Gage(5/18/07)
    FF in a Blaze Recaro Prosport & Cardinal Frontier 85 SICT

If no one replies about the teather, I've had luck in the past just calling the vehicle manufacturer and flat out asking if there was one and where.
    Augie, wife to Chris, momma to SIX angels, volunteer for www.histio.org, and aunt to 20, and an honorary aunt to three (including the most amazingly brave 3 year old histio warrior/bone marrow transplant survivor there is)! Yep, <--That's me!

www.marrow.org

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

The 2003-2010 Ford Explorers have top tether anchors for each second row seating position (3 second row tether anchors if it's a second row bench seat and 2 second row tether anchors if it has second row outboard bucket seats without a center seating position), and for each of the third row outboard positions if equipped with a third row. The second row top tether anchors are U-shaped metal rings located on the floor behind the second row vehicle seat, and the third row's top tether anchors are cargo tie-downs on the rear tailgate sill.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

7. Thank You from: