Insight into the unenlightened carseat mind (non- creationist topic)

B

broxbourneDELETE

I was reading a non-fictionbook last night called "Man the Hunted" (D. Hart and R.W. Sussman, 2005, Westview Press) and came across an interesting passage:

"It was quickly apparent as we gathered material for this book that entire volumes could be filled with gory exploits of man-eaters garnered from newspapers and magazines around the world. These bloody events are commonly given high profile in newspapers, and they often make the front page in a city that is thousands of miles from the predation itself. For example, 'India Fighting Plague of Man-Eating Wolves,' screamed a headline on the front page of the New York Times in 1996. Would this situation really be relevant to the average Times reader? Or, more precisely, would it be more relevant than an article about 300 million citizens in India who suffer from malnutrition (a tragedy that does not appear in headlines in New York or anywhere else in the United States)? Certainly, in today's world events from car accidents, heart disease, cancer, toxic chemicals in our environment, malnutrition or starvation, and warfare hugely outnumber deaths from predators. Even in areas of the world where predation on humans happens regularly, the paucity of predators compared to the ever-expanding human numbers make the impact of predators on overall humna population miniscule. When current-day predation is posed as a mortality factor to a global population in excess of 6 billion, the precentage of humans killed by wild animals may not even be worth recording.

So why the heightened media coverage? Might it be that we are fascinated by a deep recognition of what predation by other species has meant in our long evolutionart history? Hans Kruuk, a famous animal behaviorist and authority on predators, feels that our revulsion, our curiosity, our fascination with gory stories of man-eaters is based on a hardwired instinct that these events are very scary to our whole species -- scarier than many of the more obvious killers in our midst. After all, we evolved for millions of years being hunted and eaten by other animals, but we have only had to fear automobile accidents for 100 years (just a few generations). Tigers, bears, and wolves touch off much deeper neural pathways than Toyotas, Fords, or Volkswagens."

Anyway, pity the fools who drive around w/ no seatbelts and child restraints. Maybe in a million years humans will fear cars ... (like we should?)

ADS

Loves2sing

Maybe our desire to hear these stories comes from that dark place inside of us that likes to be freaked out? I always loved hearing the scary bear in the woods type stories, but car accidents? Not so much!

Loves2sing

lol, IF we're not extinct by then... ;)

maybe we'll fear other, more silent killers by then, such as manufactured foods and chemicals...

True enough, I highly doubt we'll be around in a million years, but ya never know!

There are a lot more things that we need fear than cars though. We need to respect cars, and fear what happens when we abuse our driving priviledges!

Morganthe

lol, IF we're not extinct by then... ;)

Isn't our sun supposed to burn out in around 500,000 years???

Last one out of the room, turn out the light :p

The scariest story I've ever heard or seen involving vehicles is
"Duel" an early film by Steven Spielburg. Made me extremely conscious of what vehicles can do. And I saw it on TV when I was a kid :p
Then there was "The Hitcher" with Rutger Hauer which convinced me NEVER to pick up strangers on the road. I haven't seen it since it was in the theater around age 17. Don't need to. Completely freaked me out.

I'm sure if someone created an involving script into a great movie with the fear of the unknown vs. a situation saved by a carseat, there would be more people talking and using them. What would also help is to create new Urban Legends with somehow a moral involved with carseats... then mass email them to everyone to begin a chain. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC