URGH, I *hate* this marketing

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Went to Sears to see if I could maybe snag a hidden Parkway (nope :( ). I was checking out the rest of the seats (pretty crappy selection, considering it was a Sears Grand), when I came upon the Embrace (pretty sure it was the embrace - the Evenflo with the 3 pt harness, in any event).

PLASTERED to it were bright orange tags and stickers proclaiming that it had been "Designed and tested for structural integrity at energy levels approximately 2X the FEDERAL crash test standard (font sizing similar to sticker). The (pretty sure Evenflo) 5 pt infant seat next to it had not such regalia.

Which, I feel, would lead an uninformed parent that the 3 pt was safer.

Yeah, sure the shell can withstand that type of force, but it won't really matter if the baby's been ejected out the side...

ADS

Loves2sing

WHY ARE THEY STILL MAKING THOSE CRAPPY 3 POINT HARNESSES?!!!:hitselfonhead: If they want to produce a three point, why don't they go with the European design?:mad:

Lara

How is it different?

The European 3 pts have a crotch strap and the shoulder straps are individual (instead of having to pull the straps over the baby's head like on US 3 pt seats if that makes sense). Its basically fits like a 5 pt without the hip straps.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
After the whole Consumer Reports thing, Evenflo sent out people to put those stupid signs on all their seats. We carry the 3 point at our work, but I don't have one out of the box.

cpsaddict

We only have the 5 point at BRU, but ALL of them have those stupid stickers all over them. People always ask me about them and I tell them the crash worthiness will do no good if you can't use it right. I then tell them all about the problems with the Embrace, handle down, space in front of it, etc. The ONE redeeming quality on the Embrace is that all but one of the ones we carry have a front adjuster. I don't think I have ever seen an Embrace used correctly. :thumbsdown:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
It has great low slots, then they ruin it with the same large harness clip that they put on their larger seats! The whole release drives me crazy though. I just helped install a portabout last week, I had to show them the trick to get it off the base. So either they with get stuck, or fly, nice job Evenflo!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It has great low slots, then they ruin it with the same large harness clip that they put on their larger seats! The whole release drives me crazy though. I just helped install a portabout last week, I had to show them the trick to get it off the base. So either they with get stuck, or fly, nice job Evenflo!
A dad came in with his petite new 2 week old baby and said, the chest clip is huge, she looks like she's carrying a large log... sure enough, the kid really did look like that...totin' firewood from birth... Have evenflo designers never seen a newborn? what's with that huge thing?!?!?! :whistle:

Yoshi

Just wondering to the OP...why were you looking for a Parkway? Do you have an older child? They also expire after 6 yrs, which is why I'm debating whether to get one now or wait a bit longer hopefully getting a cowmoo one before they are no longer made.

littleangelfire

Even before learning all that Ihave here, I had the general idea that for some reason a 5-point harness was safer, and I'd like to learn more specifics about why, I saw the post about them possibly flying out the sides, which makes sense since there's nothing to stop them from doing so! And I read that the more points it hooks at the safer it is b/c he helps absorb crash forceS?

Anyways, I can definitely say that no parent I have ever personally met (maybe I meet with the wrong mommas!) has understood that a 5 point harness is superior to a 3 point. Most naive parents seem to think that if the government allows it to be sold, it must be safe. This from the same government that routinely allows things into our food that could kill us? I don't think so. I agree, too, they shouldn't sell them. There can't be much difference in price for those two tiny extra straps to be on a seat LOL. Plus is just one more thing where people can look at an old seat and say "they still make 'em, what's wrong with it?"

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
along the same lines. I saw the senera at walmart today and the 5 pt one was 20 cheaper than the bar one. I guess people are willing to pay more for the bar.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Just wondering to the OP...why were you looking for a Parkway? Do you have an older child? They also expire after 6 yrs, which is why I'm debating whether to get one now or wait a bit longer hopefully getting a cowmoo one before they are no longer made.

I went looking for one too. I figured I could try to sell it. :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC