A couple questions...

klu0906

We are getting a true fit as soon as we are done moving for DD.. Does she have to be a certain height to FF and can you all show me pics of your LO in the TF? We are very excited about it, this is the car seat I have wanted since we began looking at convertibles

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Hi, and welcome!

There is no minimum height requirement for the True Fit for ffing, just a minimum weight (23#) and a minimum age of 1 year. However, the AAP recommends that children remain rear facing until they reach the upper weight or height limit of the seat (35# or head 1 inch from top of the shell for the car seat shell for the True Fit) and to a minimum of 2 years old.

The problem with ffing a young child is that every vertebrae in their neck and back has three gaps covered with connective tissue so that they do not form a complete circle. This allows the pieces of bone to get wider as the spinal cord gets bigger around.

A car seat that is rear facing will move with a child in a crash and his head and neck are supported by the car seat shell. Basically, the car seat acts as a back board/stretcher.

When a child is forward facing and his head whips forward and side to side in a crash, this connective tissue can let the pieces of bone in the neck stretch up to two inches. The spinal cord itself can only stretch about a quarter of an inch before it snaps.

These gaps in the bone BEGIN to close up around age one, and complete the process at around age six. A one year old is safER forward facing than a newborn, because the head is not as large in proportion to his body, but the bone structure itself is no more mature, so the risk to the spine is still really significant.

The True Fit is a tall seat with a weight limit that is high enough to fit most kids rear facing until 2-3 years old. Since you said that you've been researching convertibles, I'm guessing your child is still in an infant seat and will easily fit rear facing.

rxmommy

Here is a picture of my LO in a TrueFit :)

She is 19 months old here, last I measured and weighed her she was 23lbs and a little over 30". She's pretty short for her age so as you can see she has a LONG way to grow!

user20695_pic1725_1315431517.jpg

klu0906

Actually she is in a cosco scenera right now, and is 32 1/2 inches, I know she needs to 34, my husband is refusing RF her again, after I learned about ERF I have tried getting him to turn her around and he refuses, it almost resulted in divorce. She will be 2 next month, and she was 22lbs as of july, so she may weigh more now, I will find that out in a couple weeks. Hubby is the driver not me, I dont drive, I never have, but I am working on getting liscense so I can be the driver, and take my daughter where ever she needs to go. I gave up ERF battle with him.

CrazyBoysMamma

Here's James in his in DH's tiny 2 door car last month (I think? Maybe 6 weeks ago?) He's 2 1/2 and has a ton of room left! Don't mind the crying, he was mad his cup holder didn't have ice water in it.:rolleyes:
dba1f179.jpg

klu0906

we have 2000 jetta, and i am concerned with getting it to fit, and the off chance of getting hubby to change his mind and turning DD back around.. She is currently behind DH and constantly kicks his head. He wont let me put her in the middle either..

klu0906

I would love pics of tf RF in your Jetta. I'll go onto detail to why he won't RF later.. I'm on my phobe

klu0906

Reasons DH wont ERF: He doesnt like it. Because he cant see or talk to our daughter, we cant hand her anything. (which is BS, when she was in the bucket seat, we handed her, her paci, bottle, we would rub her head.) She cant see out the window, which I think if we put her on the passenger side at a more up right install we would. He thinks he's the best driver in the world and that nothing bad will happen. He also says, he doesnt believe the RF is safer, but I think I am talking him into ERF, so now my question is, how do I get a more up right install with the TF

Jessica61624

klu0906 said:
Reasons DH wont ERF: He doesnt like it. Because he cant see or talk to our daughter, we cant hand her anything. (which is BS, when she was in the bucket seat, we handed her, her paci, bottle, we would rub her head.) She cant see out the window, which I think if we put her on the passenger side at a more up right install we would. He thinks he's the best driver in the world and that nothing bad will happen. He also says, he doesnt believe the RF is safer, but I think I am talking him into ERF, so now my question is, how do I get a more up right install with the TF

Have you showed him joels story?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8"]Front facing or Rear facing? Car seat safety TRUE STORY crash test videos - YouTube[/ame]

jess71903

Ambassador
Here's a simple, no tears video explaining why RF is safer, if you want to show it to him.

The TF is usually TOO good at being upright, and requires pool noodles or rolled towels to get it reclined to the mandatory 35 degrees. It's also pretty easy to do without noodles or towels if you take the headrest off, get in behind the seat, and push into the vehicle seatback with your hips/legs rather than just straight down at the feet.

I have some pics of my TF in action, but not in a Jetta.

klu0906

Okay, so tonight, we went to chinese with my mom, and of course, I had to take her seat out in order to go.. So I RF her in my moms car, and she did wonderful! got a perfect install with belt right away, unfortunately didnt take pictures, because it was pouring, so if she is okay with it and doesnt scream why not RF, I havent told DH that I did this yet, I am trying the lets try it for a month and see how it goes approach. Love the pics, I know the TF is huge, and I am just concerned, since DD is 22lbs, that we have to thave the headrest on it blocking his view. I dont see a video though. Can anyone find a video of TF being installed up right? cant find one anywhere

soygurl

I don't know what video Jess intended to share, but here is a favorite of mine!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U&feature=player_embedded"]Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car - YouTube[/ame]

It was made for the UK (I think), and that turns some people off for reasons I don't understand. I mean, the laws of physics don't change in different countries!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC