Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A couple questions...

We are getting a true fit as soon as we are done moving for DD.. Does she have to be a certain height to FF and can you all show me pics of your LO in the TF? We are very excited about it, this is the car seat I have wanted since we began looking at convertibles

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Re: A couple questions...

Hi, and welcome!

There is no minimum height requirement for the True Fit for ffing, just a minimum weight (23#) and a minimum age of 1 year. However, the AAP recommends that children remain rear facing until they reach the upper weight or height limit of the seat (35# or head 1 inch from top of the shell for the car seat shell for the True Fit) and to a minimum of 2 years old.

The problem with ffing a young child is that every vertebrae in their neck and back has three gaps covered with connective tissue so that they do not form a complete circle. This allows the pieces of bone to get wider as the spinal cord gets bigger around.

A car seat that is rear facing will move with a child in a crash and his head and neck are supported by the car seat shell. Basically, the car seat acts as a back board/stretcher.

When a child is forward facing and his head whips forward and side to side in a crash, this connective tissue can let the pieces of bone in the neck stretch up to two inches. The spinal cord itself can only stretch about a quarter of an inch before it snaps.

These gaps in the bone BEGIN to close up around age one, and complete the process at around age six. A one year old is safER forward facing than a newborn, because the head is not as large in proportion to his body, but the bone structure itself is no more mature, so the risk to the spine is still really significant.

The True Fit is a tall seat with a weight limit that is high enough to fit most kids rear facing until 2-3 years old. Since you said that you've been researching convertibles, I'm guessing your child is still in an infant seat and will easily fit rear facing.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Senior Community Member rxmommy's Avatar

Here is a picture of my LO in a TrueFit

She is 19 months old here, last I measured and weighed her she was 23lbs and a little over 30". She's pretty short for her age so as you can see she has a LONG way to grow!

Annie, mommy to...
    Olivia 8/04, Evelyn 3/06, angel #3 10/08,
    Sophia 1/10 and
    Isaac 6/11/12

Actually she is in a cosco scenera right now, and is 32 1/2 inches, I know she needs to 34, my husband is refusing RF her again, after I learned about ERF I have tried getting him to turn her around and he refuses, it almost resulted in divorce. She will be 2 next month, and she was 22lbs as of july, so she may weigh more now, I will find that out in a couple weeks. Hubby is the driver not me, I dont drive, I never have, but I am working on getting liscense so I can be the driver, and take my daughter where ever she needs to go. I gave up ERF battle with him.

Here's James in his in DH's tiny 2 door car last month (I think? Maybe 6 weeks ago?) He's 2 1/2 and has a ton of room left! Don't mind the crying, he was mad his cup holder didn't have ice water in it.
    James 1/09 Aidan 3/03 Patrick 9/04
    RF in a Radian Boostereded in a FR85 Boostered in a ProBooster
    Filling the last seat in my car 12/14 with my TrueFit!

we have 2000 jetta, and i am concerned with getting it to fit, and the off chance of getting hubby to change his mind and turning DD back around.. She is currently behind DH and constantly kicks his head. He wont let me put her in the middle either..

I really like the true fit RF or FFing. It is super easy to install but rather wide. I am not a light weight and my butt fit. So not sure how it would fit in a small car.

ETA I still have not figured out the picture thing. Here is a screen shot of my daughter at age 4 in the TF http://www.webpagescreenshot.info/im...-99201161256AM

Sebree 12 Jade 9
    Torin 9 Nevaeh 7
    Issabella 5 Glorryanna 3
    Pic taken at historical village

Here is my nephew both RF and FF. He's 33lb, not sure on height.
    Attached Images Attached Images

She can't kick his seat RF
    Heather, proud mommy to:
    Dustin 12y & 105 lbs 5-stepped/Seatbelt only
    Colton 6y & 43lb FF RXT/Pinnacle/FR90
    Peyton 5y & 38lb FF in Sureride/FR90/FR85

Why is he so opposed to her RFing, if I may ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Quote Originally Posted by hrice View Post
    She can't kick his seat RF
    I can try it RF and FF in my 03 Jetta, not sure how different they are though? I'll take pictures if you like.
    James 1/09 Aidan 3/03 Patrick 9/04
    RF in a Radian Boostereded in a FR85 Boostered in a ProBooster
    Filling the last seat in my car 12/14 with my TrueFit!

I would love pics of tf RF in your Jetta. I'll go onto detail to why he won't RF later.. I'm on my phobe

Reasons DH wont ERF: He doesnt like it. Because he cant see or talk to our daughter, we cant hand her anything. (which is BS, when she was in the bucket seat, we handed her, her paci, bottle, we would rub her head.) She cant see out the window, which I think if we put her on the passenger side at a more up right install we would. He thinks he's the best driver in the world and that nothing bad will happen. He also says, he doesnt believe the RF is safer, but I think I am talking him into ERF, so now my question is, how do I get a more up right install with the TF

CPS Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by klu0906
    Reasons DH wont ERF: He doesnt like it. Because he cant see or talk to our daughter, we cant hand her anything. (which is BS, when she was in the bucket seat, we handed her, her paci, bottle, we would rub her head.) She cant see out the window, which I think if we put her on the passenger side at a more up right install we would. He thinks he's the best driver in the world and that nothing bad will happen. He also says, he doesnt believe the RF is safer, but I think I am talking him into ERF, so now my question is, how do I get a more up right install with the TF
    Have you showed him joels story?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8"]Front facing or Rear facing? Car seat safety TRUE STORY crash test videos - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a simple, no tears video explaining why RF is safer, if you want to show it to him.

The TF is usually TOO good at being upright, and requires pool noodles or rolled towels to get it reclined to the mandatory 35 degrees. It's also pretty easy to do without noodles or towels if you take the headrest off, get in behind the seat, and push into the vehicle seatback with your hips/legs rather than just straight down at the feet.

I have some pics of my TF in action, but not in a Jetta.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Okay, so tonight, we went to chinese with my mom, and of course, I had to take her seat out in order to go.. So I RF her in my moms car, and she did wonderful! got a perfect install with belt right away, unfortunately didnt take pictures, because it was pouring, so if she is okay with it and doesnt scream why not RF, I havent told DH that I did this yet, I am trying the lets try it for a month and see how it goes approach. Love the pics, I know the TF is huge, and I am just concerned, since DD is 22lbs, that we have to thave the headrest on it blocking his view. I dont see a video though. Can anyone find a video of TF being installed up right? cant find one anywhere

I don't know what video Jess intended to share, but here is a favorite of mine!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U&feature=player_embedded"]Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car - YouTube[/ame]

It was made for the UK (I think), and that turns some people off for reasons I don't understand. I mean, the laws of physics don't change in different countries!
    ~Kelsie, CPST. Full-time nanny to C (3.5y), RF in a MySize70, and R (born 6/11/14), riding in a Coccoro. Loving Auntie to many!
    "We do the best we can with what we know, and when we know better, we do better" - Maya Angelou

Has you husband considered that he might be the best driver on the road but that does not mean that I am.

Sebree 12 Jade 9
    Torin 9 Nevaeh 7
    Issabella 5 Glorryanna 3
    Pic taken at historical village

Quote Originally Posted by soygurl View Post
    I don't know what video Jess intended to share, but here is a favorite of mine!
    Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car - YouTube

It was made for the UK (I think), and that turns some people off for reasons I don't understand. I mean, the laws of physics don't change in different countries!

Yep- that's exactly the one I intended to share. Thanks!