Poll: Do you...

What do you do with FB posts/pics that show bad use/practice?

• Say something

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Don't say anything

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • It depends on the person

Votes: 33 67.3%

• Total voters

VoodooChile

When an acquaintance (not close friend/family member) on FB mentions/posts a picture of FF a one year old (or younger/boostering a 3 year old (or younger)/unboostering a 6 year old (or younger)...
Do you say something?
Or are you generally more likely to shake your head and keep scrolling?
Or does it kind of depend on the person (explain if you don't mind)?
Thanks!

ADS

creideamh

Depends on the person- I know the personalities of my FB friends, so I only say something to people I know may actually listen/care enough to fix it and aren't totally nutso. I try to say something to most of them, though (even my ex! ha ha)

Mysweethoneybee

Sad but true, 90% of my facebook friends either just care what the law says or they don't care at all. There are a few doting parents and if I see something wrong in their pictures I might try to find a way to point it out without making a big deal out of it. Usually by personal message though sometimes as a comment. I think out of about 20 pictures I have commented or messaged about I have seen one person actually fix the problem I pointed out and that was the hbb that had the headrest too high so the belt didn't fit correctly.

Briteliteus

I said something to my sister about the picture she posted of her son asleep in a BB. His head was all tangled in the seatbelt, and part of it was wrapped around his wrist. She posted it like "aww how cute my 5 year old fell asleep in the car". So many things wrong with that picture.

My kids and my friends think I'm a freak because I notice so many things wrong. My son actually say's "were you just looking at those car seats in that car" I get busted all the time. But yes I always try to find a kind way to bring it up. Unless I have already harassed that person about it. My SIL actually told me that she has too many other things to worry about that car seats just aren't on her list. It's really sad to me how many people just don't care. You just never know when it's going to be too late to start caring. Is that morbid?

firemomof3

So far I've always said something :eek: But I've always had a hard time keeping to myself. My most recent "advice" was to a person who had her 4y/o using a scenera as a belt positioning booster :twitch:
So I sent her a nice message explaining and now her 4y/o is in a TB :love: So, I think its worth it

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Well....one of the daycare mom's that I'm friends with on FB drove off with her 3yr old twins unrestrained in their Nauti's for the umpteenth time....no, I didn't say anything. I wanted to, but it will just fall on deaf ears. I think my posts about proper use have already caused strain on our limited relationship as it is. There is clearly no point. :(

jeminijad

Only if I think there is a chance in hell that they'll listen to me, and only if the misuse is egregious. Forward facing bucket seat, or 1 year old in a backless booster yes; FF harnessed 1 year old or boostered 3 year old, no.

Honestly, I don't want people commenting on my parenting choices, and I know others aren't looking for my input. There are other topics than car seat safety (that I'm actually even more concerned about,) and some of the posters here do what the evidence shows is less safe. But I only pipe up if information/opinions are solicited, and only if I see something truly dangerous.

CrazyBoysMamma

If it's someone who I know just doesn't give a rat's patootie, no, I try not to look at their pics. If it's someone who would appreciate and possibly use the input and realize that it's just because I care, then yes, I say something in private. If it's my sister I do it publicly because she loves to argue stupid crap and sometimes I get back up.:cool:

AnnaC

I don't say anything. People don't care. If someone did care, they'd be asking for advice or researching it on their own. :thumbsdown:

And that's my cynical two cents. :rolleyes:

mrosehughes

I'd say something if it was someone who I thought would listen to me, with a kiddo that was less than 2 (since older than 2 and they're just going to think I'm a fanatic). A 'friend' of mine did post a pic of her just-one daughter FFing with the harness far too loose, and I didn't say anything, but that's because there's no way she'd do anything about it (we don't see eye to eye on any parenting choices, and she was someone I knew in high school -- I wouldn't have even called her a friend then).

mellysue

If I actually thought the person would listen, I'll say something. But so far an acquantance had her 9month old in a GN, FF and I just knew she wouldn't give a crap so I didn't say anything. Also saw a row of 3 kids(about 6, 4, 9) 6yr in a HBB with seat belt behind child's head, 4yr in a Scenera with straps soo loose the child was twisting them in his hand, and the 9 year old in a lap only belt. Once again didn't say anything because husband is a State trooper, so I know he knows better and obviously does not care. I do try to post information from carseat.org to my wall in the hopes it shows up on someones feed and they read it.

megan.amarice

I'll say something if I think they'll listen and if I think maybe they just don't know any better. I said something to a childhood friend (we aren't close now) who was excited to turn her newly turned 1-year-old around. She wasn't interested in the info I presented and said it was fine because he is a big boy, and besides, "it's a Britax!":rolleyes: I didn't bother saying something to a newer acquaintance whose 5-year-old was pictured slumped over asleep in his booster, head resting on the arm rest. I don't usually say anything to people with kids older than mine either (except my SIL) because I figure they'll think I don't know what I'm talking about, since my kid is only 2.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Only if I think there is a chance in hell that they'll listen to me, and only if the misuse is egregious. Forward facing bucket seat, or 1 year old in a backless booster yes; FF harnessed 1 year old or boostered 3 year old, no.

Pretty much this...

A 3 year old in a backless TB with no screws or cover, with shoulder belt behind the back, and lap belt on the child not around the seat arms. You bet I said something! Friend is an online mommy board acquaintance, but she took it really well :thumbsup:

But there are those that are hopeless, my best friend for example... The kids are safe when in my car, I just have to turn my head in her and her DH's vehicles :(

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I was just accused of child abuse for RF past 2 via FB by my friends MOTHER because her 3yr old is RF and hates the car. She accused me of forcing her daughter to keep her RF, lol. I think I told her once when the baby was like 8 months old to RF as long as possible and never brought it up again. :confused:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I have come to the point where I say something along the lines of 'wow, super cute kiddo but I'd love to help you w/ some carseat tips if you'd like since I'm a carseat tech'. Few people bite, but some do, and I feel like I've done something. I just saw a pic last week of a friend's 3yo in a backless booster w/ the seat reclined so the seatbelt wasn't even touching his body w/ a portable DVD player on his lap. I offered and let it go after that.

henrietta

It depends, but generally I will say something--much of the time indirectly. I'll mass pm a link to a whole bunch of friends, saying something like, "Since we all have kids about the same age, I thought this info might interest you. I really learned a lot here." OR I'll post" something on my own FB page w/a header like, "Think your kiddo is safe in the car?" and a link. I've had a few friends email me or call and ask for recs after reading those. :thumbsup: So, it works some of the time. If it doesn't work, I figure, saying something wouldn't have made a darn bit of difference either.

It's always worth a try. I have one friend that it took me 2 years to convince to pay more attention to her seats--she is a dear, dear friend--one of my absolute favorites and I love her. She FINALLY took my advice, after I nearly cried the last time telling her that I fear for her kid's lives every time they get in the car, that I just KNOW they will be killed in an accident, b/c she was that careless (not b/c she doesn't love them or is totally ignorant, she just really thought they were okay and they weren't!). Their seats weren't just a little bit misused--it was major. But all fixed now! I got thru eventually and she's still my friend! But that wouldn't work w/everyone. And FWIW, I've never embarrassed her or said anything about it in front of anyone else--I know she has learning disabilities herself and it can be tough for her to filter out detailed info at times.

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC