CPST course vent

crunchierthanthou

just a little one though

What is with every one of the instructors referring to anything that harnesses over 40 lbs a "special needs seat"?! It's especially frustrating if anyone even looks at the Husky. There's an immediate, "oh, that's a special needs seat..." as though even if that were the case we'll never see one or need to know how to install it. :mad:

I guess my special need is to have my son harnessed as long as I can.

Of course, maybe I'm just a little perturbed that I'm the only one in this session who isn't there for my job and so they kind of blow me off. I'm just the neurotic mom who won't shut up.

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
Wow that sounds really wrong. There was no reference to HWH seats being for "special needs" in the course. There was lots of mention of seats harnessing to 65lbs, (and further, if needed of course) and lots of the literature we received reflected that so I'm not sure why your instructors keep going on about them being for "special needs"! I guess they just haven't much familiarised themselves with the new curriculum?

ETA - You're hardly neurotic! And don't for one second ever think you are!

ThreeBeans

But they aren't. :confused:

Sure the Britax Traveller is a sn seat, but the Regent is just a big harnessed seat. I would call them on it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's just instructor bias... it's not in the curriculum, but people make sh!t up, you know?

I hope you are enjoying the class, otherwise :)

Loves2sing

Why oh why are people like this who obviously don't keep up to date teaching classes? The instructors should be required to take new updated tests every few years so that they see that things DO change! Otherwise they would all still be pushing overhead sheilds!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'd love to see that "special needs" seat make it up here... I wonder how the instructors would refer to it? :D

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
The Regent wasn't even mentioned in my class, but a fe of us got into a discussion with our instructor, and I mentioned something about the Regent, to which my (very knowledgable, very current, etc) instructor said, "I feel, because of the price, that it's a Special Needs seat only. Um, it costs the same as a Marathon (both retail at BRU for $269)... does that make my MA a SN seat too? der...

Loves2sing

The Regent wasn't even mentioned in my class, but a fe of us got into a discussion with our instructor, and I mentioned something about the Regent, to which my (very knowledgable, very current, etc) instructor said, "I feel, because of the price, that it's a Special Needs seat only. Um, it costs the same as a Marathon (both retail at BRU for $269)... does that make my MA a SN seat too? der...

I just don't understand how a current instructor could say that then.:confused: Maybe he is getting his information elsewhere?:scratcheshead:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My class started out that way -- then the instructors saw the Husky inside my car ... I explained that Leila had simply outgrown all our locally available combination seats shortly after her 2nd birthday & we've all fallen in love with the Husky, don't even think of using anything else until she outgrows it! They seemed to see the wisdom in that after one of the instructors said his 10 year old was still in a booster simply because he still fit it even though he passed the 5 Step Test ;)

crunchierthanthou

FTMP, I am really enjoying the course. There's very little new information for me, but it's nice to have all the stuff I've been reading here backed up. ;)

The course is going pretty well. They are clearly not used to the new curriculum. We are two chapters behind going into the third day and there have been several points that I feel like they're glazing over. One thing I can say for the instructors is that they are extremely pro-erf, which I love. They are really stressing to encourage rf to the limits of the seat rather than the minimum.

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
just a little one though

What is with every one of the instructors referring to anything that harnesses over 40 lbs a "special needs seat"?! It's especially frustrating if anyone even looks at the Husky. There's an immediate, "oh, that's a special needs seat..." as though even if that were the case we'll never see one or need to know how to install it. :mad:

Of course, maybe I'm just a little perturbed that I'm the only one in this session who isn't there for my job and so they kind of blow me off. I'm just the neurotic mom who won't shut up.

Oh, i've got one better! They had a husky as a demo and all the cops were making jokes about putting their captain or something in that seat b/c it was only for "retarded" (oh yeah... and i quote b/c i don't say sh** like that) kids.

They come out to my car... and what do they see? :eek: Oh well, at least I know my kid is safe and she's far from "retarded" because I chose to harness her longer than the average parent. Then again the comment came from a guy who admitted that even after the course he was going to still use the seatbelt and latch for his kid b/c "they're both there for a reason".

I'm glad I got my CPST, but unfortunately i trained with a bunch of people who clearly didn't want to be there and it was all a huge joke to them. Literally it was a "take the course or get demoted" kind of issue with these police officers.

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
just a little one though

OMG!! Are you sure you weren't in my class a few months ago!! I wish you had been actually, because I was the neurotic mom who wouldn't shut up and was the only one there who wasn't doing it for their job!

Our lead instructor also only glanced over the Husky - it was on a slide but he only briefly mentioned it being "primarily for special needs situations" so I doubt anyone but me left there remembering anything about it.

Sad.

crunchierthanthou

Kathy, I would have loved to have another mom there. I showed them, though. I was one of only two to have a perfect score! (50 in the new curriculum)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
MissMommy ... that sounds like some of the guys in my class, too :thumbsdown: One even bragged, after learning why the Mighty Tight is so bad, that he loves his & will continue using it -- even said he would recommend it to parents regardless :hitselfonhead: But, I've come to really like/respect at least 1 of my instructors & a couple techs from the class!

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
just a little one though

I had the same problem at a refresher course I took last year! They couldn't believe I had the Regent for my 3 year old. LOL It made me crazy when they kept saying that though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC