Spinoff of the "have you always worn your seatbelt" thread

Sequence of getting into the car (if you are the driver)

• Buckle first, then start motor, then adjust mirrors, seat, etc.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Start motor first, then buckle, then adjust mirrors, seat, etc.

Votes: 46 56.8%
  • Adjust mirrors, seat, etc first, then buckle, then start motor.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other - please describe

Votes: 17 21.0%

• Total voters

southpawboston

i'm curious what your whole car ingress sequence is-- and when you put your seatbelt on.

DW always buckles up before even putting the key in the ignition, then checks mirrors, seat adjustment, etc. she usually starts the car last.

i usually put the key in and start the car first, then i buckle up, make sure mirrors and seat are adjusted, etc. i always have to have the engine run for a few seconds before driving... get the oil circulating, plus gets the heat or A/C a head start. putting my seatbelt on first and starting the engine after would mean having to sit there in the car for a few more seconds waiting. but i never move the vehicle without having a seatbelt on.

ADS

wondering1

If it is hot or cold, I definitely turn the car on first. I buckle DS in then I buckle myself, turn on the lights, adjust the side mirrors, adjust the seat belt height, and head out.

Leila

I chose the second option, which is what my DH does when we go out. (I don't drive.) Of course, he often pulls out of the garage/parking spot before I've had a chance to buckle up after having buckled the boys into their seats. :thumbsdown:

LuvBug

I voted other. Its sort of random with me. Sometimes I start the car when Im not even in it yet, but I have my keys in hand and the door open. Sometimes I start after I buckle, sometimes before... sometimes while Im buckling lol! Its totally a habit of mine, so my arm just goes back and grabs it as soon as it can without me thinking.

Im the only person who drives my car, so I never have to adjust the mirrors or seats... they are always set just perfect for me. The only thing I adjust is the seatbelt itself. I give it a tug to remove any slack and make sure the lock caught, then I make sure it is positioned low on my torso and the shoulder strap is where it should be... then I drive off.

lovinwaves

I choose #2.

Sometimes I go a block or two in my neighborhood before I put my seatbelt on. Then my seatbelt beeper reminds me to put it on. That scenario usually only happens when I am in a hurry, and putting some lip gloss on or brushing my hair quickly before I put my seatbelt. Ya know glamour girl kinda stuff to take care of... But I would say 90%+ of the time my seatbelt goes on before I leave the driveway.

^^ at least I'm being honest :eek:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
In the winter, when we're not running errands, I start the car & let it warm up, then we get in -- either way, the 1st thing I always do is buckle up ... when we're running errands in the winter and/or during nice weather days I always buckle up before doing anything else (growing up around kids who were severely disabled thanks to crashes kinda does that to ya :rolleyes:)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I have children, the van is always started before I get into it... either to warm it up in the winter or cool it down in the summer. It also helps warm the engine up and get it ready to drive.

The only variation to this is when I drive the Speed3... it's a standard and never parked outside. So, kids get buckled in, I get in and adjust my seat, then I start the car, put it in neutral and buckle up, check mirrors and we're off.

I put my lip gloss on at the stoplight... after I'm buckled :D

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am an odd one--

1) Put key in ignition
2) Buckle
3) Turn motor on
4) Make adjustments as needed (which VERY rarely happens since I am the only one to drive my car).

Morganthe

I always start the car before I buckle up. It automatically locks the door and I feel more secure. Old habits die hard :p

Plus now that it's HOT, it helps cool the car down asap. Even with a sunshade in the front window, it's over 120 degrees in the car. Sometimes dd begs me to start the car while she's climbing in to her seat and before I even think of getting in the driver's.

Seatbelt next.
Switch reg. glasses to sunglasses. (Too dang bright at any time of the day)
Check in the mirror one last time that dd is buckled in tightly (just in case).

Drive.

Unless it's been one of the extremely rare times that dh has driven my car, no adjustments are ever needed. If that's the case, I have to adjust as soon as my seatbelt is on. I feel like such a little kid since he has the seatbelt adj. height all the way to the top, steering wheel is set higher, the seatback reclined, & the mirrors adjusted higher so I can't even see out them.
At least I don't have to fiddle with the overall seat position. We both drive with it as far away from the steering wheel as possible. It's still not far enough for me sometimes and still causes occasional foot cramps. :(

ThreeBeans

I'm not sure :eek:

I know I have a sort of automatic, preprogrammed *thing*....

Oh, wait, I know. I turn the car on, back out of the garage, then I get out, shut the stupid garage door, then I get back in and put my seatbelt on and make sure my mirrors are ok (can't tell in the dark garage) :rolleyes:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have no idea! Seriously, it's unconcious...maybe it's different every time? I don't know if I put my left shoe or right shoe on first, either, so maybe it's just me? :rolleyes:

Loves2sing

I'm option #2. Everytime. Although I usually buckle up at the same time as I start the engine. Then out the driveway we go. As far as the lip gloss thing goes, it's either at a light or when I have parked at my destination. Sorry to turn the thread girly Southpaw!;)

Mama2J

I chose the second one. I start the car, put my bag and stuff in it, then make sure Justin is in and buckled, then buckle myself, then drive. My husband buckles as he's driving, and unbuckles on the way home when we get on our street.

keri1292

I start motor, check mirrors, start backing out of the driveway :eek: , get an odd, exposed feeling and buckle up. Or my kids remind me to buckle up. :eek: I NEVER have forgotten my belt, I just don't "feel" it until I start moving. I'm very forgetful. :eek:

Simplysomething

I voted other, because I do different things depending on what I'm doing. Sometimes I start the car before putting on my belt. Sometimes I put on my belt before I start that car.
I don't adjust the mirrors, I'm the only one who drives my car, my mirrors aren't moved. lol

I do sometimes adjust my seat though. I always remember THAT at a stoplight.@@ at me.

I never drive away without my belt on, but the actual sequence varies.

broken4u05

I never move my seat or the mirrors. Sometimes when i am driving i notice i am sitting up higher or lower so at a light i change my rear view mirror. But when i get in my car I almost always start the car first than put my buckle on. If i have kids with me i put them in first than turn on the car and buckle myself. But if it is really hot or cold than i will turn on the car first.

southpawboston

huh, and after thinking that i was the renegade here for starting the engine BEFORE putting my seatbelt on, it really surprises me to see that over 50% of respondents report the same. i was half-expecting arguments such as "well, what if you slipped into gear and went crashing into the house or into the street into another car". personally that's a risk i'm willing to take, but i was honestly expecting that type of argument from this crowd... :) interesting... ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC