Vent oh, man!

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
After dropping DS off at daycare, DD and I were getting back in the car so I could take her to school. I hear a baby crying, like FLIPPING crying. At first I just thought someone was changing a diaper in their car or something, but something inside me just dropped. I look at the minivan 2 cars behind me, and I can see a baby in an infant seat flailing and screaming his head off. No other person, car not running. I grabbed DD and ran back into the school and told the director. She came out with me and tried to calm down the baby through the window (he was maybe 7-8 months). DD and I went to leave (since I really didn't want a confrontation with the mom) and she came out as we were driving off. I really hope she knows now.

DD's school has a circle drop off private drive. Parents park, get their children, and go into the building, scan in, and to their child(den)'s classroom. The process takes at a minimum 3-5 minutes, and this is a new parent and has 2 kids in the school (I saw them walking in).

From a car seat perspective, expired (probably recalled) Evenflo baseless infant seat, with the belt just buckled across baby and a bunch of blankets (not through belt path for baseless install, not tightened).

I still feel so sick over the whole thing. Really anxious.

ADS

cookie123

Eek! I hope someone called 911. There should be some kind of something for this mom. Also, I don't think an Evenflo infant seat can be used without the base.

BrookysMommy

I really hope the parent got the police called on them. I can't even understand how parents can even THINK about leaving there kids in the car for even a second. Do they not care?

A couple of weeks ago there was a case becasue two parents left there children in the car so they could go to the BAR and have some drinks. These people need to use their brains!!!

creideamh

I would've called the police. Absolutely no excuse. Not even for a minute. You got the director's attention, though, so good for you!!

nevaehsmommy

Also, I don't think an Evenflo infant seat can be used without the base.

the evenflo discovery 5 that my sister had could be
ETA
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYo5UlKIQ4M&feature=player_embedded"]Car Seat Installation: Evenflo Discovery 5 Without Base - YouTube[/ame]

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
There was a short time that the embrace, I think it was, couldn't be used without the base, but other than that, they all can go baseless.

OP, maybe find a flyer with clinics in your area, and put on the windshield next time you see the car.

Kat_Momof3

hopefully the director being there when they came out and giving her a talk about the risks will be enough to prevent it happening again.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Judi said:
There was a short time that the embrace, I think it was, couldn't be used without the base, but other than that, they all can go baseless.

OP, maybe find a flyer with clinics in your area, and put on the windshield next time you see the car.

Another tech and I actually had set up a clinic (sign up on a sheet and one of us would do a private check) for a week straight... And one person signed up (and not one who actually *needed* it iykwim). I also did fliers about the AAP guidelines, booster readiness, PA laws, etc. We also have a loaner car seat corner, so that kids are riding unrestrained... And they very rarely if ever get used.

Short of having a police officer sit in the circle and stop every car...

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Kat_Momof3 said:
hopefully the director being there when they came out and giving her a talk about the risks will be enough to prevent it happening again.

I'm pretty certain there was a discussion "in the nicest possible way" :rolleyes: and there'll be a flier in cubbies about overall circle safety.

JerseyGirl'sMama

Multiple people did that everyday at my DD's preschool. Well, I don't know about the crying part, but babies and children are left in cars while parents take the other child into the school.

Is it really hot there?

mellysue

wow! DS gets left in car but I get out and stand in front of vehicle and DD runs to me. If I have to go into school he just has to come with me, it doesn't take that long to unbuckle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC