Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: oh, man!

Senior Community Member tarynsmum's Avatar

oh, man!

After dropping DS off at daycare, DD and I were getting back in the car so I could take her to school. I hear a baby crying, like FLIPPING crying. At first I just thought someone was changing a diaper in their car or something, but something inside me just dropped. I look at the minivan 2 cars behind me, and I can see a baby in an infant seat flailing and screaming his head off. No other person, car not running. I grabbed DD and ran back into the school and told the director. She came out with me and tried to calm down the baby through the window (he was maybe 7-8 months). DD and I went to leave (since I really didn't want a confrontation with the mom) and she came out as we were driving off. I really hope she knows now.

DD's school has a circle drop off private drive. Parents park, get their children, and go into the building, scan in, and to their child(den)'s classroom. The process takes at a minimum 3-5 minutes, and this is a new parent and has 2 kids in the school (I saw them walking in).

From a car seat perspective, expired (probably recalled) Evenflo baseless infant seat, with the belt just buckled across baby and a bunch of blankets (not through belt path for baseless install, not tightened).

I still feel so sick over the whole thing. Really anxious.
    ~Heather
    DD: 8 years old, 48lbs, 50". DS: 5 years old, 36lbs, 40.5".

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: oh, man!

Eek! I hope someone called 911. There should be some kind of something for this mom. Also, I don't think an Evenflo infant seat can be used without the base.
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/BLVD/Peg
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pipa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

I really hope the parent got the police called on them. I can't even understand how parents can even THINK about leaving there kids in the car for even a second. Do they not care?

A couple of weeks ago there was a case becasue two parents left there children in the car so they could go to the BAR and have some drinks. These people need to use their brains!!!

I would've called the police. Absolutely no excuse. Not even for a minute. You got the director's attention, though, so good for you!!
    Kate // CPST, SK Senior Checker, & Mom to M (12/2010)

6. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by cookie123 View Post
    Also, I don't think an Evenflo infant seat can be used without the base.
    the evenflo discovery 5 that my sister had could be
    ETA
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYo5UlKIQ4M&feature=player_embedded"]Car Seat Installation: Evenflo Discovery 5 Without Base - YouTube[/ame]

Sebree 12 Jade 9
    Torin 9 Nevaeh 7
    Issabella 5 Glorryanna 3
    Pic taken at historical village

There was a short time that the embrace, I think it was, couldn't be used without the base, but other than that, they all can go baseless.

OP, maybe find a flyer with clinics in your area, and put on the windshield next time you see the car.

I called 911 today about a lap baby
    *STACY* Mom to: Sage-9, Nevaeh-6.5, Junior-5, Nayeli-1.5

hopefully the director being there when they came out and giving her a talk about the risks will be enough to prevent it happening again.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Quote Originally Posted by Judi
    There was a short time that the embrace, I think it was, couldn't be used without the base, but other than that, they all can go baseless.

OP, maybe find a flyer with clinics in your area, and put on the windshield next time you see the car.
    Another tech and I actually had set up a clinic (sign up on a sheet and one of us would do a private check) for a week straight... And one person signed up (and not one who actually *needed* it iykwim). I also did fliers about the AAP guidelines, booster readiness, PA laws, etc. We also have a loaner car seat corner, so that kids are riding unrestrained... And they very rarely if ever get used.

Short of having a police officer sit in the circle and stop every car...
    ~Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Kat_Momof3
    hopefully the director being there when they came out and giving her a talk about the risks will be enough to prevent it happening again.
    I'm pretty certain there was a discussion "in the nicest possible way" and there'll be a flier in cubbies about overall circle safety.
    ~Heather

CPS Technician JerseyGirl'sMama's Avatar

Multiple people did that everyday at my DD's preschool. Well, I don't know about the crying part, but babies and children are left in cars while parents take the other child into the school.

Is it really hot there?
    DD 5.5yrs, FF in a Recaro ProSPORT
    DS 2.75yrs, RF in a Peg Primo Viaggio

Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.

wow! DS gets left in car but I get out and stand in front of vehicle and DD runs to me. If I have to go into school he just has to come with me, it doesn't take that long to unbuckle.
    Mama to L, 6 1/2 riding in a GN and TB
    and K, 3 1/2 RF in Radian