I just want to reach through the computer and slap them

mominabigtruck

I just joined a new moms group, cincymoms.com and someone had posted about having their airbag turned off in their front seat of an accord. She said she was having baby #3 and was not able to fit three carseats in the back so she was going to get her airbag turned off and put her 3.5 yo seat in the front. I told her that it wasn't appropriate because there was no way for a seat to be tethered that way and and she should see a tech to get some info. She posted back that her child was in a booster seat so it didn't matter and there was absolutely no way for her to put three seats in the back because she only had 2 latch positions:eek: And she didn't want to use the seatbelt. Can you imagine???? Then she said she had talked to a tech and the link I gave her (here) said that she could put a carseat in the front and she didn't have to turn off the airbag.

I told her that in ohio you had to harness to 4 and 40lbs and by harness that means not a booster and that any tech that would recommend what she was suggesting should be reported. What else should I say??

ADS

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
Mine is a little different situation but I have 4 kids so 3 in back and 1 in front. Not the best situation but do-able. They will not grant her an acception to turn the airbag off, she will just have to make sure there is a forward facing kid there. You don't have to have a latch or a tether to install a carseat, unless it says so specifically.

Yoshi

I think she is just confused about not being able to fit 3 across because of only 2 LATCH positions. If her 3.5 yr old is in a booster, then he could be secure with the seatbelt in the center (if it is lap/shoulder belt) OR harnessed in a seat w/the seatbelt.....I'd rather get a different car than put a small child in the front. What happens when her spouse (if she has one) needs to ride with them?

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
Wait... if her 3 year old is in a booster already, why does the 2 latch positions even matter? Use one latch for the baby, 2nd for the middle child, and the "booster" for the oldest since she has no intention of harnessing her oldest, right? She still could do 3 in the back because she'd have to use the seatbelt with the booster anyways, right? Maybe i read it wrong or i'm missing something, but i'm not understanding why she's even thinking of using the front seat? :doh:

lovinwaves

It sounds like she isn't able to fit all three across in the back seat. Maybe the lack of LATCH in the middle has nothing to do with it, but somebody has interpreted it that way. If so, the the oldest child in the booster is ok in the front seat, just have her push the seat all the way to back, and disengage the front airbag if she can.

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
I wonder if she has a shoulder belt in the middle of the back, if so that should work and fit ok. I can fit a regent, a rf roundabout and a marathon in the back of my car, its tight, but fits in both buicks.

scatterbunny

A Regent will NOT work in a three-across in a Honda Accord. :p But it definitely IS possible to do three-across in an Accord.

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
Oh sorry I didn't see the name of the car. I went nights not being able to sleep well til I finally found a good combination.

mominabigtruck

She never said she couldn't fit three across physically, she said she couldn't because of the latch positions, which is what makes no sense? What does she think those of us out there with no latch do? It made me mad because she's doing all of this research to get her airbags turned off but I bet she never once read her carseat manual because otherewise why would she be so fixated on the latch positions.:confused:

Morganthe

She never said she couldn't fit three across physically, she said she couldn't because of the latch positions, which is what makes no sense? What does she think those of us out there with no latch do? It made me mad because she's doing all of this research to get her airbags turned off but I bet she never once read her carseat manual because otherewise why would she be so fixated on the latch positions.:confused:

I really believe that average joe thinks that LATCH is superior and safer than using seatbelts. Lower Anchors are only supposed to be easier and faster, no promises of safer. Unfortunately, everyone has subscribed to this being 'new & improved technology' regardless of what manuals say :shrug-shoulders:

Too bad manufacturers of Cars & Car seats are not emphasizing seat position instead of seat attachment. The back is so much superior than the front, especially for a child. As usual, fixating on the wrong points :(

Loves2sing

I just hope that after talking to you that she will want to do a little more research and ACTUALLY talk to a tech. I don't believe for one second that she actually did.:twocents:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Give her the info for this board where there are multiple techs with years of experience in helping people fit three across safely in the backseat of their vehicles.

If she truly wants her children to have the utmost in safety, she can come here and get the information she needs.

Loves2sing

Give her the info for this board where there are multiple techs with years of experience in helping people fit three across safely in the backseat of their vehicles.

If she truly wants her children to have the utmost in safety, she can come here and get the information she needs.

And see this thread about her? Before you give her this site, how about you ask an Admin to erase this thread.

mominabigtruck

I already gave her this website and that's where she said she found the info saying that it was ok to put a seat in the front. I really don't care if she came here and read this thread, its not like I'm calling her names or anything. She is trying to do something stupid because she didn't read her manual and she's not going to figure it out unless someone tells her, "Hey, you're being stupid"

Suzibeck

It has been said on here that if you HAVE to put a kid in the front seat with an airbag, it should be the largest (eta: forward facing) HARNESSED child. I have done this on one occasion when I had 6 kids in my van, when my neighbor had an emergency and I had to do school pick-up for her. Putting a 3 yo boostered child in front of an air bag is seriously dangerous!

I have a friend who drives an Accord and puts 3 across. It is tight but she has done it with an infant seat, a convertable seat and a booster seat. She then moved to two convertables and a booster. I'm not sure which seats and since she has moved to Iowa, I can't readily check.

I've found in dh's Jetta, that I can fit my 3 across (one harnessed seat, one booster, one without a seat, but could do a second booster) easiest if I use the seatbelt instead of LATCH. Someday, I'll have to try fitting multiple harnessed seats in just to see if it is do-able.

ThreeBeans

When I experience that particular strain over a website (i.e., the urge to do physical violence), I walk away and never go back ;)

Dillipop

If her accord is anything like my moms the latch is seriously off center (or should I say seriously centered?) Two latched seats are pretty centered with very little space between them. Great for 2 kids, but no way to fit a 3rd in between. The only way to get 3 across an accord is to use seatbelts.

No advice on how to get her to understand how dangerous it is for her child to be in the front seat in a booster, though.

easterbun

The only way to get 3 across an accord is to use seatbelts.

I suspect it's like this with most smaller cars... my radians would seriously be about 8" apart if I installed them both with latch in the outboard positions... yet I have 3 seats (2 radians and a flex loc) across right now, all w/ belt installs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC