Horrible carseat convo at playgroup :(

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Today I was at a playgroup and one of the gals came in with her 7 month old in a carseat that he had outgrown. I didn't want to seem to pushy so I just said casually, "wow I can't believe how big x is, he's already outgrown his infant seat!" She said that they were getting him a new seat (a 3-in-1). I mentioned how kids outgrow those really young and she said "oh no, it goes up to 100 lbs!" so I explained how the top slots are low so tall kids outgrow it quickly ("oh no, it has this adjuster that goes up and down, it will fit them until 5-6 at least!") and that it only harnesses to 40 pounds. There was another lady there with a kiddo turning 1 next week and she was talking about turning him around and I mentioned how we had turned DD1 around once to see how she liked it, and she hated it so I finally got DH to agree to leave her RF. I just wanted to let her know she had the option of ERF without seeming too preachy. I said how DD's legs fell asleep and a lady asked what carseat she had and I said a Britax, and immediately 3 ladies were jumping all over me telling me how we had wasted our money and I'd have to buy a booster anyway, but THEY were smart and wouldn't have to buy another seat, ever, since they all had 3-in-1 seats. :rolleyes: Then one of the women said "OMG I can't believe you haven't turned your DS yet!" to the lady with the not-quite-1 yr old. I said that 1/20 lbs is the absolute minimum and that we still have DD RF at 2, and she flipped out on me. She said her DH was a policeman and IT IS THE LAW to turn them on their birthday :eek: . I said no, it's the absolute minimum but she was absolutely insistent and was screaming at me. She also said that if if their legs touch the back of the seat that if you hit a speed bump or a pothole their legs will break and CPS can take your kids away!! :eek: And her hubby is a policeman so she knows what she's talking about!! :rolleyes: So of course the mom of the 1 yr old said "OMG I will turn him today then!"

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
its funny the alme excuses people will coem up with just to be "right"

ridiculous really...

CRS

Senior Community Member
Oh my they sound like complete lunatics!!! One day they'll learn that their purchases weren't quite so fantastic as they thought. It's good their kids are in seats (If they're installed properly!) but that's so not cool to have a go at you, sounds like they need to do some research!!

natysr

Ohhhh I would be sooo tempted to respond with "It's no wonder 8 out of 10 children are inproperly restrained in vehicles."

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
Oh my goodness...it almost sounds like a parody! Good for you for standing your ground!

katiesmommy

OMG! :eek: , wow, I can't believe that. At that point I probably would have said something nasty and walked away.

*snicker* CPS can take your kids away.

MomToEliEm

Print out some information concerning extended rear facing and hand it out to everyone there. They really need to be educated. Maybe also print out a harness height chart to show the top harness hights of all the seats. The 3-in-1 seats really fall low in that chart so it might convince them that other seats are better.

scatterbunny

Where in the Pacific NW are you? I took my tech class with police officers from all over NW Oregon, we were definitely taught that 1yr/20lb is the minimum.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ohhhh I would be sooo tempted to respond with "It's no wonder 8 out of 10 children are inproperly restrained in vehicles."

That would be an awesome response. :thumbsup:

:mad: Unbelievable the awful info that lady gave as if she was an expert. :hitselfonhead:

I'd print off your state's laws and hand them out. There's no arguing with that - the lady would just make herself look like a complete fool when she contradicted the law... And maybe you could find a tech in your area who might be willing to talk to the moms. :whistle:

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
Reason number 92734973249823747632473209523642398740237587236498327 why I just don't "do" playgroups. The information they give to other parents just scares the poopies out of me :rolleyes:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
That's a good idea about printing off the state laws, since ours just changed effective of June 1! We're in WA ;)

elle7715

Oh my. I don't know what I would have done. Probably just walked away. I can't help but laugh about the speed bump thing though! If they actually used their brains they'd realize there's no way that could happen.

wondering1

If they don't read their manuals, their 3-in-1's will do whatever they imagine it might do if it were a different seat. Many people misuse their seats based on the advertising (outside of the box).

I wish we had plain english manuals, there are so many confusing things in the manuals!

amyg530

She also said that if if their legs touch the back of the seat that if you hit a speed bump or a pothole their legs will break and CPS can take your kids away!! :eek:

you should have told them that if she moved her kids up to quickly that God might take them away instead

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC