Which convertibles offer the most front passenger room?

love-pink

So Im STILL questioning if I should turn dd ffing when she turns 2 here shortly because our vehicle situation. I really dont think Im ready to do that full time yet :( So I need to find a convertible that offers more room for the driver and passenger in our Envoy XL. Also something quicker to install with the seat belt than a RN (lighter would be a tremendous help too).

Which seats allow more space? Which are quick to install?

I think the only seat I havent tried is the CA :rolleyes: Do they install fairly quickly with a seatbelt? What kind of latch connectors do they have? What did Dorel ever say about using them more upright than 45 degrees? Ive heard alot about Dorel being an iffy company on here too, whats the senses on that? :confused::confused:

I also have a ton of pics of my 2nd row in my albums if you need to get an idea of what it looks like. ;)

ADS

jjordan

Have you tried the new Britax convertibles (roundabout 55, marathon 70, boulevard 70, advocate 70cs)?

tracee877

What about a Roundabout 50? Those can be nice and upright allowing lots of up front room and super easy to install. Plus they are $100 at target this week. Or if you need lock offs, a Classic MA.

Spam

The MyRide is light, easy to install w/ seatbelt and takes up less front to back room than a lot of others, plus it's onsale too. The efta or momentum are also easy to install although a little heavier than the myride. I think the CA requires the 45 degree angle so that would most likely be out. Maybe the Truefit?

mkmama

I'd second the MyRide...it doesnt take up a ton of room front to back, is a pretty easy install in most vehicles and is fairly lightweight.

The TrueFit is another good option...it takes up slightly more room front to back in some vehicles (but not others) than the MyRide, and is slightly heavier...however, it has a handle to carry it by built into the back, so I actually find it easier to move around despite its slightly heavier weight. Until you get used to the lockoffs, it might take slightly longer to install than the MyRide would...but now that I am used to the lockoffs, I can install either in under 2 minutes. It also has the nice slits in the cover to help with tightening belts, so you dont have to mess with pulling the cover partially off like you sometimes do on the MyRide.

luckyclov

Dorel has said that you can install the CA more upright then 45 degrees, but it's recommended at 45 degrees because it's performed the best at 45 degrees. As far as I know, though, the manual(s) have yet to be officially revised. The new Maxi Cosi Pria 70 is the only Dorel seat that allows a more upright angle. Evenflo and Recaro, until otherwise revised, also require a 45 degree angle. So, if you're not doing the whole *parental decision* thing and installing more upright, you should take that into consideration with front-to-back space.

The Maxi Cosi Priori and Combi Coccoro don't take up much space, but depending on the child going into it, it may not be worth it. My 20 month old, 33" DS no longer fits in either.

So, if you don't want another Britax, I'd shoot for the MyRide or True Fit...or maybe the Pria 70. The MyRide looks gigantor, but is a nice RF install that doesn't take up heaps of room. It's also $100 right now at Target. The FF install isn't my favorite, though...too reclined.

Last edited:

Pixels

No, Dorel has said that you can NOT install more upright than 45. They said they tested the seat "more upright" but I never saw them give an actual angle at which they tested it. The seat passed testing at the mystery more upright angle, but it performed better at 45 and so they require 45. This is for all their seats except the Pria.

The TrueFit is 23 pounds. NOT lightweight.

love-pink

I have a CCO but would like something to say in our one vehicle so I can keep the CCO when we go with friends and family. The seat needs to fit in my center 2nd row, which the TF does not. :( Ive also had one and its a beast of a seat. The MR makes it really hard for the kids to buckle next to it because of the flair of the cup holders. :(

luckyclov

No, Dorel has said that you can NOT install more upright than 45. They said they tested the seat "more upright" but I never saw them give an actual angle at which they tested it. The seat passed testing at the mystery more upright angle, but it performed better at 45 and so they require 45. This is for all their seats except the Pria.

The TrueFit is 23 pounds. NOT lightweight.
Yeah, well, then maybe they should get all their ducks in a row. They've (CSRs) told several consumers, via telephone, that the seat (CA) passed at a more upright angle (tested and passed up to 30*) and could be installed as such, if necessary, but that it performed the best at 45 degrees and, as such, that is the required angle for proper install. The manual, however, remains unchanged and, therefore, it's not something I, personally, would do or advocate.

SeattleRain

I have a CCO but would like something to say in our one vehicle so I can keep the CCO when we go with friends and family. The seat needs to fit in my center 2nd row, which the TF does not. :( Ive also had one and its a beast of a seat. The MR makes it really hard for the kids to buckle next to it because of the flair of the cup holders. :(

If it needs to stay in the one car, why does it have to be so lightweight? I also only have one car, so I can totally commiserate as to how challenging that can be. We have a CCO in ours simply because our one car is a compact car and I didn't want to eat the dashboard any more, but if that wasn't an issue I don't know that I would care how light or not light it was. If you're just taking it in and out of the car, there are a lot of seats that are light enough to move around a few feet, especially when compared to the Radian.

msg221

I was also going to suggest the MR or TF because both are easy to install with the seatbelt. I have one of each in my car right now and both offer enough room for the front row passengers. But you nixed both of those ideas, as well as Britax seats, which also offered plenty of room (I had a MA70). It sounds as if you are running out of options!

love-pink

It needs to be lightweight because Im needed to install it multiple times a day sometimes :(

I dont mean to nix everyones ideas :eek::eek: It just seems like Ive had it all and for some reason or another it wont work where I want it to. Exactly why Im at my wits end with rfing. Ive been using our cco for the last few days and Im so uncomfortable with how close she is to the top of the shell when rfing so Im pretty sure today was her last day rfing in that seat. :mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC