They no longer make the anchor?

Evolily

This is what I was just told by the GM service center, that they no longer make the anchors for the 98 grand am. Um...?

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I looked up the service bulletin for you, hope it helps (I didn't actually read it all, just copied & pasted)

Bulletin No.: 99-09-40-004a

Date: April 12, 2005

INFORMATION

Subject:
Top Tether Hardware Package for Child Restraint Seats

Models:
1989-2002 Passenger Cars, Light Duty Trucks and Multi-Purpose Passenger Vehicles

(Except EV1 and Prizm)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2000-2002 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-09-40-009 (Section 09 - Restraints).

Important: GM of Canada and IPC Dealers are not authorized to utilize this service bulletin.

Beginning in August, 1997 General Motors began providing Child Restraint Seat Top Tether Hardware Packages to customers in the United States who requested them. The Top Tether Hardware Package contains the necessary hardware for anchoring a forward facing child restraint seat top tether.

One Child Restraint Seat Top Tether Hardware Package will be provided per vehicle to the retail customer at no charge for installation. Charges for installation of additional Top Tether Hardware Packages per vehicle are the responsibility of the customer.

Most forward facing child restraint seats (CRS) sold in the United States prior to calendar year 1999 were not sold with top tether straps, but have provisions for them. Top tethers, which are required in Canada, can help to better secure the seat in the vehicle. When a forward facing CRS including a top tether is used, specially designed components must be used to secure the child seat top tether. These components are included in the Hardware Package from GMSPO.

Top tethers are not normally required or used with rearward facing infant restraint seats. Rearward facing infant restraint seats should never be secured in the front seat of an air bag equipped vehicle unless the vehicle is equipped with an air bag de-activation (shut-off) switch and the switch has been used to turn the air bag off.

Should a retail customer request installation of a Tether Hardware Package at the time of sale or delivery, it is to be installed at no charge to the owner. The labor to install a Tether Hardware Package prior to delivery of a new vehicle to the customer is considered to be part of the delivery "get ready process", and as such, is not claimable. Claiming for the cost and applicable handling allowance of the proper Tether Hardware Package used in the installation is allowed.

If the customer requests installation of a Tether Hardware Package some time after delivery, the package is to be provided free of charge. Hardware Packages include installation instructions which are easily followed and can be installed by most customers. However, should the customer request the dealership's assistance to install the Tether Hardware Package, it is to be installed at no charge to the customer and the labor may be claimed. All claims submitted for installation labor of an approved Tether Hardware Package must be supported by a signed customer work order. Additional Hardware Packages and installation charges are the responsibility of the customer.

In addition, passenger vehicle deliveries, including vans and sport utilities for daily rental usage, may have one tether hardware package supplied. Additional packages are the owner's responsibility. Dealers may claim appropriate parts under these circumstances. Sufficient quantities of parts should be ordered in advance of the arrival of vehicles to avoid delays.

Important: When installing a Child Restraint Seat Top Tether Hardware Package, follow the installation instructions included in the package. Additional information about specific mounting locations and installations may be available in the Seat Belt Section (Sections 9, 10-10, 10-11 or 10A) I of the appropriate Service Manual, or the Restraints section of SI.

Any questions regarding this policy should be directed to your Area Manager, Parts or Service.

Parts Information

For Top Tether Hardware Package part numbers and usage, see Group 14.870 (passenger cars & U-van), or Group 16.710 (Light Duty Truck) of the appropriate GMSPO Parts Catalog. In addition, they can also be found in Accessories Group 21.042.

Warranty Information

The dealership will be reimbursed for the parts and labor, if applicable, through the submission of a regular warranty claim.

All claims submitted must be supported by a signed customer work order. Purchase and installation of additional Hardware Packages is the responsibility of the customer.

Evolily

Thanks, that will be helpful. I'm going to call GM directly and try going through a different dealership. Everything I know says there must be a way to get the anchor kit, either domestically or through Canada.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Did you call the parts department or the service department? In my general experience, parts people have no clue what the heck I'm talking about, especially if it's supposed to be zero-cost. Heck, I work in a shop full of ASE Master Technicians and half of them have no clue what I'm talking about when I ask them to install one for a customer.

I usually have better success going through a service manager, and referencing the service bulletin. They should be able to access it on their end and find the instructions for what they're supposed to do. Good luck!

Evolily

I spoke with the service department. At one point they transferred me to parts and that was, uh, very interesting.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If they don't (sometimes they discontinue lesser-requested models), and don't have a substitute, but you have a pre-drilled hole, the EZ-On HDTA should be easy to install there.

However, I'm guessing they just changed the part number and finding someone who knows the new one would work.

Evolily

My first thought was to go through ez on. Aside from saving money, if there are predrilled holes is there any reason not to just skip the dealership and order from ez on?

I expect it to be a long, drawn out process to get the anchor, I'd rather just order them and be out the money...

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I just recently ordered a couple for my parents' '97 Suburban (they're not the bolted-in type, but GM considers them 'anchors' for an older model.) The parts guy at their local dealer (Canada) said GM no longer makes that part either and they had to order it from another manufacturer.

(I found it particularly weird for my parents' vehicle because the '97 Suburban anchors are just male seat-belt buckles. I guess that means GM also no longer makes seat-belt parts for vehicles of that vintage. :shrug-shoulders:)

I've also been told by GM Canada they won't supply anchors for vehicles older than 10 years (which at this point means they wouldn't need to supply anchors for any of their vehicles at all.)

Seems to me like they're just trying to shirk their responsibilities. :whistle:

AustinMusic

My first thought was to go through ez on. Aside from saving money, if there are predrilled holes is there any reason not to just skip the dealership and order from ez on?

If it transpires that obtaining the anchor will be somewhat of a hassle, then I suggest going with E-Z-On Heavy Duty Anchor. The only thing to watch out for is that if the pre-drilled hole is of a smaller diameter than the E-Z-On bolt, you may have to drill out the hole to fit the E-Z-On bolt. I think, if I recall correctly, E-Z-On supply 7/16” diameter bolts with the Heavy Duty Anchors.

Do you know if the pre-drilled hole is threaded?

Some pre-drilled holes are threaded and therefore access to the rear of the panel on which the anchor will be mounted is unnecessary. If you decide to buy the E-Z-On anchor, then you will need access the area behind the mounting location in order to properly tighten the nut and bolt. Forgive me for stating that which you may have already thought of, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Hope that helps!

Gary.

Pixels

It has to do with the GM bankruptcy. The company we think of as GM today is not actually the same company that made our vehicles in the 90s. They are separate legal entities.

The anchor for DH's 99 Grand Am (the next generation after your 98) has been backordered for over two years. I don't expect to ever actually receive them.

That's a good idea to use the E-Z On HDTA. I hadn't thought of that. I keep expecting the vehicle to finally die any week now, but we've been thinking that for years and it just keeps on running. DD is a peanut so she will be able to rear face forever, so it hasn't been an issue.

Evolily

Thanks!

In the morning I am going to see if I can investigate more and make sure they are threaded and the correct size. Otherwise I have no clue what to do aside from knowing I have to find a workable solution ASAP. I need to put an RSTV in the center position or hold Britax hostage until they manufacture a new laptop for me...

Evolily

I'm relatively certain, it is a spot that is difficult to install anything in (the 98 grand am is really awful when it comes to installing seats), it is a very narrow back seat, plus the only harness seat on the market that will fit the C or A is the frontier, so... yeah. C weighs 45 lbs, A weighs 55 lbs. The third child likely weighs more than 80 lbs and is close to outgrowing the nautilus in booster mode.

Evolily

Well, I've found the predrilled hole, and punched through the carpet. I am going to guess that I can just go to home depot, get a 7/16 inch bolt, and see if it fits and is threaded by attempting to screw it in?

I'm mechanically inclined to the point where I can assemble ikea furniture, so if that won't work please feel free to tell me that bluntly...

Dillipop

That might not work. It's possible the threads of the bolt will be different even on the same size bolt.

EZ-on might be able to tell you if their anchor will work in your specific car's predrilled hole.

Evolily

Well, it is ordered. I figured if it doesn't fit I will find someone to drill and install it. I really can't see another option.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just recently ordered a couple for my parents' '97 Suburban (they're not the bolted-in type, but GM considers them 'anchors' for an older model.) The parts guy at their local dealer (Canada) said GM no longer makes that part either and they had to order it from another manufacturer.

(I found it particularly weird for my parents' vehicle because the '97 Suburban anchors are just male seat-belt buckles. I guess that means GM also no longer makes seat-belt parts for vehicles of that vintage. :shrug-shoulders:)

I've also been told by GM Canada they won't supply anchors for vehicles older than 10 years (which at this point means they wouldn't need to supply anchors for any of their vehicles at all.)

Seems to me like they're just trying to shirk their responsibilities. :whistle:

I was recently helping a family who drove a GM pick-up. The parent was told that the parts aren't available in Canada anymore, but can be ordered in from the US. So I wonder if it varies by the model of vehicle?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC