Neighbor's 7-year old Cried because she out grew Radian(LONG)

all together ooky

I've talked about my neighbor that bought 6 new carseats within the last year...

Both of her kids had been in Turbo boosters (age 6 & 3). I informed her about the WI law since I was concerned for her 3-year-old. She immediately went out and bought a MA and and Apex (for the 6-year-old). Then they got a new minivan and bought 3 Radians & another MA (she does daycare).

Well, I brought her two kids with us to the library's storytime and had to borrow a seat for the 7-year-old. The 7-year-old insisted on having a harnessed seat so I install her Radian. I get her all strapped in and notice her shoulders are above the top slot (probably an inch). When we are driving back I notice their mom is out walking in the neighborhood with the daycare kids so we pull up. I open the door and show their mom that her shoulders are too high. The 7-year-old starts crying and saying she isn't too big and she isn't growing. I felt awful. She loves being harnessed. Her mom thinks it's that tight feeling. Plus, I guess she wants to be little still, doesn't want to grow up.

She does still fit in the Apex (1 inch or so to grow). I told her mom about the Regent, but she's bought so many seats recently I don't think it's going to happen.

ADS

Tara

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...
I'm just asking here...
Isn't the Radian the one that can be used with shoulders above the top slots? There's some other 'head/shell' rule they follow ??

Again, OP, please don't take this as "it", I'm asking the others. :)

Otherwise...
How cool that you were able to inform the neighbor like that and that the child even gets it :) That's awesome stuff!!

Leila

From what I've read around here, the Radian is one seat that can be used after the shoulders are above the top slot. Some posted a Poll about it at that link.

MomToEliEm

From the Radian manual:

Forward-Facing: Straps should be in the nearest slot at or above the level of the child's shoulders. NOTE: when using uppermost harness position, level of the child's shoulders can be above the harness slot as long as the child is proper height.

Maxiumum Height limit for the seat:
Child is too tall for restraint if tops of the ears are above the back of the restraint OR if the child is more then 51" tall.

all together ooky

Yeah, the Radian can be used with shoulders over the top slot, but I personally wouldn't do it. The girl is over by an inch. I'm totally amazed that she still fits in the Apex (my neighbor even measured and it isn't one of the rare 19 inch ones). Every seat fits a bit different I guess.

canadianmom2three

This one made me laugh...my DD also 7 LOVES the radian too, and it's not even hers! It is her little brother's, and thank goodness she is too big to even use either one now, cause if she ever got wind of the pink flowery one, I would never hear the end of it . She will climb into DS's radian and buckle up if she is first in the van...she is too big by weight at 70lbs and too tall too, but she loves that seat!! She had a couple rides in it when we first got it and she wanted it for herself, but even then, she was right on the border of being too big. She used to try and lure DS into riding with someone else, cause she knew I would let him use her booster (he is 50lbs and almost 5) for the short ride rather than uninstall the radian (was a nightmare to get in) and then she would get to ride in it! Even this week, she was asking again to ride in it, and trying to get DS to get in her booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC