WWYD? RF or FF

soccer_widow

DS2 goes to a small in-home preschool(DS1 went there too). They have field trips every couple of months. The teacher drives the kids, and either parents provide seats, or the teacher has boosters for them to use. Of course I have always provided and installed my own seats, and all the other parents have used the teacher's boosters.

DS2 is 3y 7m, 30 pounds, and has never ridden FF. I am seriously torn over whether to install his seat RF or FF for the field trip in a couple of weeks. I know all the other parents will think I'm nuts if he is RF. Do I just deal with it and use it as a chance to educate them? Or do I just go ahead and let him ride FF? WWYD???

ADS

Pixels

If he's rear facing, then my inclination is to keep him rear facing. However, will the seat fit well in the teacher's vehicle? Will it be in the way of using the front seat, or block other kids from getting into the vehicle?

Regardless of FF or RF, if his harnessed seat will be installed next to a booster rider, then install with LATCH if possible so that the booster rider won't inadvertently unbuckle his seat.

soccer_widow

If he's rear facing, then my inclination is to keep him rear facing. However, will the seat fit well in the teacher's vehicle? Will it be in the way of using the front seat, or block other kids from getting into the vehicle?

He would be passenger side in the 2nd row of a Pilot with no front passenger, so space wouldn't be and issue.

Regardless of FF or RF, if his harnessed seat will be installed next to a booster rider, then install with LATCH if possible so that the booster rider won't inadvertently unbuckle his seat.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this so much that I already considered this, so I would use LATCH. Really, it's pitiful how much thought I've put into this situation. But, what can I say, I'm a car seat geek.:love:

bnsnyde

I would RF him if you can (if the fit works out with the vehicle, etc.). Let them think you're nuts! Then let them question their own safety habits.

It's a strong statement. Even though I would be fine using FF at his age, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to RF with an audience. :) RF is really not a part of our culture and the more opportunities to see it, the better!

p.s. Please post their reactions.

ElfJewel

My DS (also 1/08) is the same size. He is RF with me, but his spare seat for riding with grandparents is a Maestro. RF is safer but I am ok with him FF for short rides with other people. I can't move his Radian and he is close to outgrowing our other spares RF (and they are not as easy to install as his Maestro)

babyherder

I'd rf him as long as his teacher can use his seat correctly that way. He'll be able to see his friends so it should be fun for him.

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
My son is a month younger and about 7 lbs heavier. He is still RF and I would keep him RF if we had a similar situation. I am super hardcore ERF though, and have even gotten "he's STILL RF?!?" comments from other CPSTs. I don't give a bleep if people think I'm crazy and I would try to use it as an educational opportunity.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC