Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: WWYD? RF or FF

CPS Technician

WWYD? RF or FF

DS2 goes to a small in-home preschool(DS1 went there too). They have field trips every couple of months. The teacher drives the kids, and either parents provide seats, or the teacher has boosters for them to use. Of course I have always provided and installed my own seats, and all the other parents have used the teacher's boosters.

DS2 is 3y 7m, 30 pounds, and has never ridden FF. I am seriously torn over whether to install his seat RF or FF for the field trip in a couple of weeks. I know all the other parents will think I'm nuts if he is RF. Do I just deal with it and use it as a chance to educate them? Or do I just go ahead and let him ride FF? WWYD???
    DS 4/06 Recaro Performance Booster; DS 1/08 FR90; DD 10/09 RF XTSL; 10/11 RF XTSL

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: WWYD? RF or FF

At his age I feel comfortable with him FF. Do you know if there's a tether?
    April Senior checker / Special needs trained
    DD1 10.5yrs Harmony cruz
    DD2 6.5yrs PKWY SG
    DD3 5yrs FF GN

At that age and weight I would be okay with FF for field trips

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

If he's rear facing, then my inclination is to keep him rear facing. However, will the seat fit well in the teacher's vehicle? Will it be in the way of using the front seat, or block other kids from getting into the vehicle?

Regardless of FF or RF, if his harnessed seat will be installed next to a booster rider, then install with LATCH if possible so that the booster rider won't inadvertently unbuckle his seat.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    If he's rear facing, then my inclination is to keep him rear facing. However, will the seat fit well in the teacher's vehicle? Will it be in the way of using the front seat, or block other kids from getting into the vehicle?

He would be passenger side in the 2nd row of a Pilot with no front passenger, so space wouldn't be and issue.

Regardless of FF or RF, if his harnessed seat will be installed next to a booster rider, then install with LATCH if possible so that the booster rider won't inadvertently unbuckle his seat.
    Yeah, I've been thinking about this so much that I already considered this, so I would use LATCH. Really, it's pitiful how much thought I've put into this situation. But, what can I say, I'm a car seat geek.
    DS 4/06 Recaro Performance Booster; DS 1/08 FR90; DD 10/09 RF XTSL; 10/11 RF XTSL

CPS Fanatic

I would RF him if you can (if the fit works out with the vehicle, etc.). Let them think you're nuts! Then let them question their own safety habits.

It's a strong statement. Even though I would be fine using FF at his age, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to RF with an audience. RF is really not a part of our culture and the more opportunities to see it, the better!

p.s. Please post their reactions.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

My DS (also 1/08) is the same size. He is RF with me, but his spare seat for riding with grandparents is a Maestro. RF is safer but I am ok with him FF for short rides with other people. I can't move his Radian and he is close to outgrowing our other spares RF (and they are not as easy to install as his Maestro)
    Julia CPST and Mom to 6 crazy kids:
    Megan (13), Kayla (11), Jamie (9), Ian (7), Emi (6), and Clare (2)- all riding safely in a 2011 Honda Odyssey
    And Our Angel Baby Aiden 8/26-27/15

CPS Fanatic

I'd rf him as long as his teacher can use his seat correctly that way. He'll be able to see his friends so it should be fun for him.

CPS Technician

It's not the passenger side second row that needs to flip down for third row passengers?

My son is a month younger and about 7 lbs heavier. He is still RF and I would keep him RF if we had a similar situation. I am super hardcore ERF though, and have even gotten "he's STILL RF?!?" comments from other CPSTs. I don't give a bleep if people think I'm crazy and I would try to use it as an educational opportunity.
    CPS Technician
    Mommy to 2 angels in Heaven and 1 on Earth

I'd put him him rfing, unless there is a huge issue with it.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)