Question Emergency Help! Need RSTV info!

brightredmtn

I'm sorry for not searching the site for these answers but I need help quickly.

Ride Safe Travel Vest:

Does it need to be tethered?
Will it work in a van?
Can it work with a lap belt only?
Could it realistically be stored in DS's backpack?
Anything else I need to know?

I was blindsided today with DS's after school pick-up vehicle. It was a van when I thought it was going to be a bus and they only had backless boosters available. DS is 5, 37lbs and has never ridden forward facing let alone in a booster. The program is amazing but I need a solution to get him there from school. Oh also he will be traveling about a mile.

Thank you!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
PM Anne. I have one, but it has been loaned out since I got it, so know nothing. It is in Portland, if you want to play. Pretty sure you need lap/shoulder though.

brightredmtn

I don't have one yet, I'll buy whatever. He'd have head support because he's so little his head won't nearly reach the top of the seat.

Is this my best option?

Thanks guys!!!!! You are the BEST!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm sorry for not searching the site for these answers but I need help quickly.

Ride Safe Travel Vest:

Does it need to be tethered?
Only if using with a lap-only belt. Tether optional with a lap/shoulder.
Will it work in a van?
As long as you have appropriate head restraint and belt or belt/tether available.
Can it work with a lap belt only?
with tether.
Could it realistically be stored in DS's backpack?
Yes, it would take up about as much room as a notebook. Possibly a hardcover novel.
Anything else I need to know?
Old style has a lockoff in the shoulder, new does not. They fit differently. Let that influence your decision on style to get.
I was blindsided today with DS's after school pick-up vehicle. It was a van when I thought it was going to be a bus and they only had backless boosters available. DS is 5, 37lbs and has never ridden forward facing let alone in a booster. The program is amazing but I need a solution to get him there from school. Oh also he will be traveling about a mile.

Thank you!
I'd expect a 5 year old to be able to learn to put it on properly but not to buckle himself in without any assistance at all. I'd attach a summary "checklist" card that can be easily followed by the person putting him in.

brightredmtn

Old style has a lockoff in the shoulder, new does not. They fit differently. Let that influence your decision on style to get.

Hmm, the new ones don't have a lock off at all? Wonder where I can get an older one. He can go in a van though that has a lap/shoulder belt that locks however.

I'd expect a 5 year old to be able to learn to put it on properly but not to buckle himself in without any assistance at all. I'd attach a summary "checklist" card that can be easily followed by the person putting him in.

Great idea and I'll give an in person tutorial to the people putting him in too.

Thank you SO much!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Locking the lap/shoulder belt would help support him if he falls asleep, etc., or you can ask on Swap, someone might have an old-style Small to sell (old-style Larges are still available through healthchecksystems.com.)

brightredmtn

Locking the lap/shoulder belt would help support him if he falls asleep, etc., or you can ask on Swap, someone might have an old-style Small to sell (old-style Larges are still available through healthchecksystems.com.)

It'll just be for a 5 minute drive from school to his after care. I hope he can manage to stay awake. What if the belt is switchable and can lock that way (it does, I checked today)? I would like the locking feature in case we use it for something else but I need one today!

Thank you so so much!!!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, that's what I mean- locking the lap/shoulder belt will help keep him in place almost as much as the built-in lockoff. :) If you can use the tether, that will help even more.

brightredmtn

Yes, that's what I mean- locking the lap/shoulder belt will help keep him in place almost as much as the built-in lockoff. :) If you can use the tether, that will help even more.

Those two things I have in my car and in my mother's if we ever decide to use it away from the after school van.

Thanks again! I ordered a new blue one. I'm excited to get it!

brightredmtn

Got it today!

It comes with a backrest that has head wings for sleeping. :)

The backrest confused me slightly since the manual didn't really address it but it looks cool.

Also not address in the manual is if you can lock the seat belt while using it. Anyone know? Can you tether and use the shoulder belt at the same time?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC