Question Hekp with a not ideal car seat situation

southernveg

I need help in responding to this FB message. I pretty much know the answers, just unsure of how to get the answer across. She drives a Mitsubishi eclipse. I know the infant seat is the Onboard Air35. I honestly don't know details about the other kids or their seats, but can ask.

"Since you are such a car seat fanatic I figured I would ask for your opinion on the car seat situation I will have when my baby gets here. I nanny for a 4 year old that sits in a booster seat and a 15 month old that is in a front facing car seat. I technically have 2 seats in the back of my car but I don't want to put the 4 year old in the front seat when my baby gets here. So do you think it would be ok to put the front facing seat on the middle hump and connect it to the latch things that way the 4 year old still has a seat in the back and the baby in the infant carrier is connected to the other seat belt?"

ADS

littleangelfire

Hello!

No, not OK. If the manufacturer didn't design it so a person can sit there, neither can a child in a car seat. In that situation I'd put the harnessed child up front and the boostered child in the back.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
How about this:

"No. The LATCH anchors are built in pairs, and in an accident having the seat connected to one end of each pair like that could not only cause them to fail and send the infant seat flying, but could pull them out and compromise the safety of both children sitting on either side.

The best thing to do in this situation is to get a harnessed seat for the 4 year old so he cannot possibly lean or be thrown forward toward the air bag, put him in the front seat, and scoot the front seat as far back as it will go."

jess71903

Ambassador
:yeahthat:

The "rule" is to put the oldest harnessed child up front, so get something like the Maestro for the 4 year old and put him up front.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC