Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

I need help in responding to this FB message. I pretty much know the answers, just unsure of how to get the answer across. She drives a Mitsubishi eclipse. I know the infant seat is the Onboard Air35. I honestly don't know details about the other kids or their seats, but can ask.

"Since you are such a car seat fanatic I figured I would ask for your opinion on the car seat situation I will have when my baby gets here. I nanny for a 4 year old that sits in a booster seat and a 15 month old that is in a front facing car seat. I technically have 2 seats in the back of my car but I don't want to put the 4 year old in the front seat when my baby gets here. So do you think it would be ok to put the front facing seat on the middle hump and connect it to the latch things that way the 4 year old still has a seat in the back and the baby in the infant carrier is connected to the other seat belt?"

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Hekp with a not ideal car seat situation

Hello!

No, not OK. If the manufacturer didn't design it so a person can sit there, neither can a child in a car seat. In that situation I'd put the harnessed child up front and the boostered child in the back.

How about this:

"No. The LATCH anchors are built in pairs, and in an accident having the seat connected to one end of each pair like that could not only cause them to fail and send the infant seat flying, but could pull them out and compromise the safety of both children sitting on either side.

The best thing to do in this situation is to get a harnessed seat for the 4 year old so he cannot possibly lean or be thrown forward toward the air bag, put him in the front seat, and scoot the front seat as far back as it will go."
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65

The "rule" is to put the oldest harnessed child up front, so get something like the Maestro for the 4 year old and put him up front.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thank you all! It's hard to find a tactful way to handle messes like this

CPS Technician eyeslkethesky5391's Avatar

Also make sure your bring up the 14 month old would be safer RF
    Mommy to S (10/23/13) riding in a cowmoo pavilion and a RA50