Is this average for a 4yr old?

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I just moved up the headrest on Patrick's FR85. From what I can see, he only has 2 'clicks' left. :eek: He wears 5T jeans and 5/6 shirts. Ideally I'd like to keep him harnessed until around 6yrs, but I don't know if he's going to last that long. He is booster training VERY p/t...but is in no way remotely close to being booster ready. Next time I take it out, I'm going to adjust it to the tallest setting to get a better idea of how much room he has to grow. I know that torso growth slows as they get older, but I do worry about him outgrowing the FR85 before he's truly ready for a f/t booster.

Is he pretty typical for a 4yr old in terms of size/fit? It's been a long time since I've had a 4yr old...and his twin brother is a shrimp and will be able to fit in his FR85 for years to come...likely to 8 or 9 (not that I will harness him that long).

ADS

krfogle88

DN is the exact same size. She's very tall and lean. She fit in the F80 the same way. She already outgrew most seats we have also. She still has a *smudge* of room left in the CA.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Ilana is 5 in 2 mos and just about to move to the top slot in her Maestro, so I'm guessing 16" torso? So that would be way more than 2 clicks I think in the FR85.

bnsnyde

My 5-year-old wears the same size and he is tall.

I think I'll get him the Frontier85 for his 6th birthday next July.
At the store he had lots of room left in the harness. I think we'll get to age 8 in that, maybe more. I don't know how he'll grow.

I don't know that there is an average. I've got a 3-year-old RF (almost 4) who will likely fit until 5 that way, and a 4-month-old who can almost fit according to the stats, lol, in the Prosport (if he only gains 3 lbs).

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I'm going to get pics of him tonight in various seats to see how he compares. Might even go ahead pull the FR85 out and try it in the tallest setting. I'll BBL with pics. LOL

That sounds like my 3.6 yr old, she has a 14.5-15 inch torso and is on the top slots of the RN, i am wanting to get her a 85 for her b-day in Feb., if she stops growning for a few months that is, lol

knkdt

Deacon, who turned 5 today :love:, is in the same sizes as your ds. He is 42" and 39lbs. I moved his fr85 headrest up not quite a month ago, and he has 2 clicks left. I feel confidant he will make it 6 or 7 in this seat. Here is a pic of his growing room (and his cranky face).
DSCN2015-1.jpg

He had just buckled himself in, I did adjust his chest clip before we left ;).

momtotwogirls

My oldest is 4.5 and she just moved up to the 2nd from the top click. I think she will last until 6 at least only because she has about an inch til she needs to move up again then however long from then. Ok so Im hoping to make it to 6y.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
OK, so we played with a variety of seats tonight....he had the most room in the FR85 (no problem making it to 6 IMO!) and the Maestro. He's just about outgrown the RN XT at 4yrs 3mo and 39lbs. I also included pics of him in the ProBooster and a VERY outgrown Evenflo Tribute (which he easily fit in 8mo ago...so clearly had a MASSIVE torso growth spurt) I didn't buckle him into any except the ProBooster...the rest he's just sitting in them (buckle not under his butt) to get an idea of size/fit.

Please don't mind the yucky nose....I'm hoping it's just allergies!

XT in next post. Too many pics. LOL

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
And in the Radian XT...the head rest is in the spot for his brother...the top slots are barely above his shoulders.

momtotwogirls

oh yeah i think he will easily make it to 6 in the 85. he is about the same size as my 4 yr old. she is 43in 34lbs with a 16in torso

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We bought new seats earlier this year. Ds2 is had recently turned 5 at the time. He was on the 2nd to top at the time. We went with a monterey for him. I tried him in dd2 frontier tonight and he would have about a half inch growing space. Ds2 is currently 5y6m, 58# and over 4' tall.

Our dd2 is 4y5m, 48# and 43". When feeling the back you can feel 1 notch. Don't know what setting that is on. To dark out to really see.

cocurlgurl

OK, so we played with a variety of seats tonight....he had the most room in the FR85 (no problem making it to 6 IMO!) and the Maestro. He's just about outgrown the RN XT at 4yrs 3mo and 39lbs. I also included pics of him in the ProBooster and a VERY outgrown Evenflo Tribute (which he easily fit in 8mo ago...so clearly had a MASSIVE torso growth spurt) I didn't buckle him into any except the ProBooster...the rest he's just sitting in them (buckle not under his butt) to get an idea of size/fit.

Please don't mind the yucky nose....I'm hoping it's just allergies!

XT in next post. Too many pics. LOL

can you tell me which pic is the maestro? And how tall is your DS? Our 3.5 yo is 42ish in and we were thinkign of gettin a maestro for him,...

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
can you tell me which pic is the maestro? And how tall is your DS? Our 3.5 yo is 42ish in and we were thinkign of gettin a maestro for him,...

The Maestro is the first picture attached. It's the black and grey one. Standing height isn't nearly as big a factor as seated height. My twins are only 3" apart, yet worlds apart in how they fit in seats. If Patrick used the Maestro (he did until we had to give his to his cousin), he would be using the top slots, but based on how much room he had, it would last him until 5-5.5 unless he had another massive torso growth spurt. But since he's already had one in recent months, I'm really hoping that he's done for a while! Oh, and last time I measured him, I got 42" IIRC.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC