Have you always worn seatbelts?

Mama2J

I tried to post a poll, but I don't see how. Maybe I'm not authorized to do that yet. Anyway, I was wondering about our own seatbelt usage?

Have you...
- Always worn a seat belt
- Not always worn one, but do now
- Wear one sometimes
- Never wear one

I didn't wear seatbelts when I was a kid (I remember going on long rides and laying down in the back to go to sleep). I started wearing a seatbelt after being in an accident with a friend. Thankfully, all I got was broken ankles from sliding off the passenger side onto the floor (it was a big car). Somehow he didn't get hurt at all and neither of us was restrained.

Last edited:
ADS

Suzibeck

I have worn a seatbelt since the 5th grade. That is when we got a car with functioning seat belts and mom and dad insisted that everyone develop the habit. We all did, well maybe not my brother for a long while, but I think he wears one now that he is a dad. He totaled that first car with seatbelts when he was 16. He rolled it 3 times and neither him nor the girl in the car with him had on seatbelts. Neither was thrown from the car and they only had bumps and bruises. How lucky were they? Now, db listens to his baby sister when I tell him what seat to buy my precious niece and how to use it.

ETA: I was in 5th grade in 1977-78. Before we bought a brand spanking new Horizon, we had old station wagons with lapbelts only. Most of those didn't work and were lost somewhere under the seats. Thankfully, we never got in a wreck in one of those monsters!

Last edited:

TxMomma

My parents only made me wear one if I was in the front seat, otherwise I went without :eek: I guess they thought the back seat had a bubble around it :confused:

Now, I always buckle up and so does every single one of my passengers. I've even got my mom using boosters for my neice and nephews :thumbsup: that alone is a miracle.

solmama

Yes, we've always worn seatbelts. My parents told us the car wouldn't start if we weren't buckled!

amy919

It was always a requirement in my family, so the short answer is yes.

When I got my license, I always wore my seatbelt and made my passengers wear them as well.

But then I was in a bad accident in 1993. I was wearing my seatbelt. I hit the steering wheel before the airbag deplayed and my face was totally banged up. Then the airbag went off and banged my face up even more. I looked horrible. To this day, I still believe the airbag was faulty, but I was a nanny at the time and was driving their car, so I couldn't prove anything. But what was even worse for me (at the time) was that I somehow got tangled up in the seatbelt and they had to cut my hair to get it off of me. I know how stupid that sounds, but I was so upset about them cutting my hair (I had really long hair) that I stopped wearing my seatbelt after the accident. It only lasted about 6 months, though and then I realized how stupid that was and went back to wearing my seatbelt.

I've worn it religiously ever since.

Amy

Michi

I was in a car accident when I was eight years old....
I was in the front passengers seat (unrestrained)and my mom was driving me to school.
She was only going 25 mph when she hit a parked car.

My face hit the windshield with enough force to crack the glass, and then came down onto the dashboard.
I was knocked unconscious and bit completely through my lower lip.

I have worn my seatbelt ever since! ( With the exception of a few 'stupid stunts' during my teen years!)

mom2riley

Yep, I have always worn a seat belt. And if you are in my car it will not move until everyone is buckled in, no matter what. That has been my rule since I got my license at 16. My grandpa hates riding with me because I am the only person who makes him wear a seatbelt, lol.

natysr

I think it was 1985 when I was 7 years old that my parents started making us wear seatbelts. It was when they passed a law requiring seatbelts in Louisiana. I *think* the law was only for front seat passengers at the time, but that was when my parents started making us wear them in the back too.

I have worn them religiously since.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Alway have worn one, My mom had a carseat she always put us in and I even was in a backless booster as a child (till about 8yrs) and that was in the early 80's :thumbsup:

beeman

If there's an air bag yes, and if I'm on the public road yes. I'm still guilty of not always wearing it running around the dirt roads around the farm with the old trucks, but I'm working on breaking the habbit. I sometimes also don't wear it when moving bee's so I don't squish bees on my back and get stung. I know, stupid excuse.

supercrunch

We started wearing seatbelts when I was in Kindergarten.

We lived in Northern CA, and one snowy day, they closed the schools early. My mom and sister were on their way to pick me up (down a twisty canyon road) when they hit some ice and went into a spin. When the car stopped, the front tires were within inches of going over a cliff.

That scared the whole car safety thing into my parents and seatbelts were a must from then on.

mommy2jana

My parents always made us wear seatbelts when I was growing up - well, minus when I was really little, less than 4 yrs old and I remember my cousin (same age) and I riding in the very back of my aunt's van after picking strawberries - we ate almost all of them! I do remember having a carseat of some sort - I know it was a t-shield one. I also remember riding in a shield booster. I know I wasn't in a carseat any older than possibly 3, but at least they made us wear seatbelts!

And now, I feel uncomfortable in a car without one.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have always worn a seatbelt. There were a few times as a kid in which I rode in the wayback of a station wagon, so I didn't wear one then. But I would say I have worn one 99.9% of my life.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd say *mostly* yes, often not in the backseat, though, up until highschool, then it was still sort of optional in the back seat (Once we picked up a friend who promptly buckled and we were amazed and she said, well, OF COURSE I always buckle up!...I thought she was COOL, so I started then in the back, too :) ).
In college it was definitely yes, but we did dumb things like put 6 people in a bronco with 5 belts...don't tell my mom :(.

I was born in 72, if that puts it all in perspective.

Mama2J

LOL I was born in 1972 too. I also feel uncomfortable without a seatbelt now. There have been a couple of times I've been in a hurry and gotten to the end of the driveway feeling that something was missing - the seatbelt. Justin reminded me once! :thumbsup:

Loves2sing

I have always worn a seatbelt. There were a few times as a kid in which I rode in the wayback of a station wagon, so I didn't wear one then. But I would say I have worn one 99.9% of my life.

Same as me. My parents would remind us to buckle up every time we got into the car, but there were a few rare Sunday mornings when we were picking up kids to go to Sunday school with us, and then some of us, not often me, "got" to ride in the back of the station wagon. We only had a station wagon until I was about 4, once we had a sedan, it was only ever our immediate family, and EVERYONE wore a seat belt EVERY time. I don't know what happened to change my parents practices. I should ask my mom.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC