Ever see a school-bus Greyhound bus?

bnsnyde

There is a small white bus for our park district that the preschool uses. It's painted white. I thought it was a school bus. I looks just like one.

But inside, it looks more like a Greyhound bus but sized for kids. What is this called, then? And, is this a safe way to transport kids? It has lap belts sized for the kids.

It's the bus for Kindergarten Club so I'm curious about its safety.

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
What are there for seat belts? Lap belts sized for kids? I guess I don't get what that means... Pics would be awesome! ;)

AustinMusic

I believe these types of buses are used most commonly as shuttle buses. I have seen them before at US airports, rental car lots and theme parks etc.

We have similar (but much smaller) minibuses here in the UK which are used everyday at schools for field trips and sports events etc, construction sites and airports as well as being very commonly used as taxis.

They are normally derived from 'Panel' Vans and often seat 9 to 17 people. Due to being mass produced, rather than being an 'aftermarket' conversion, they are subject to European standard crash testing in the same way as cars.

On October 1 2001, it became law in the UK that all new minibuses sold must be fitted with 3 point seatbelts or lap belts on all forward or rearward facing seats. Nearly ten years on and I don't believe there are any models of minibus which are sold in the UK which do not have 3 point seatbelts on all seats.

If you are interested, I have listed some websites below to the manufacturers pages:

The Vauxhall (GM) Movano

The Ford Transit

The Volkswagen Caravelle

The Fiat Ducato

Red Kite School Minibuses

I hope that of some interest, somehow!

Gary.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC