BubbleBum users- how do you/your LOs like them?

DDs will have 7 field trips this year in 4th grade. Now that I'm working P/T at their school, I probably won't be driving for many of their field trips. DD1 is getting closer and closer to my height and her legs are practically as long as mine, and I'm almost afraid to do the 5-step test for her because she might pass it now. But DD2 is about 4-5" shorter so I'm seriously considering getting her a BubbleBum for field trips (I think she'll still need a booster in 5th grade too). So a few q's for those of you who have used them
- is it something your LO can inflate by himself/herself?
- does it fit easily back into the stuff sack or is that what DH calls a "factory bag" (bag that can only fit the item when it's packed at the factory and then never again)?
- what's the longest ride your LO has taken in it and was it comfy enough for them (still sorta worried about that shallow seat depth). Are there any good work-arounds for the shallow depth - foot stool? rolled up towel or pool noodle section under knees?
TIA!

ADS

cookie123

Well, Hannah likes it. However, we haven't deflated it since we blew it up, so I don't know about that. The depth is very short, but she doesn't complain. She's in the middle and puts her feet up on the console between the front seats. Truly, the lap belt isn't the best fit. But there's nothing else to fit in there. She's really squished as it is.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper is ok in hers. It's GREAT for travel, and yes, it goes back into the bag. She can neither inflate it nor deflate it well herself, but there's usually someone around who can help (and the seat has passed testing deflated, in a pinch). The longest at once she's been in it is four hours, and she was able to sleep in it as well. So I don't think it's uncomfortable at all. She's never mentioned discomfort. She does tip more in it, but when I told her to use her body muscles to counteract it, she did and she didn't tip as much (I was sitting next to her, so it was annoying).

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Emma has only used it for short trips but she doesn't complain about it. She even fell asleep in it in Hawaii! So it must be comfy enough-she has a sensory disorder!

I have been able to get it ALMOST as small as it came with much effort, just because it bugs me. Lol. It doesn't have to get that small though- the stuff bag is very stretchy. :thumbsup:

I love how easy it is to tote around. And it fits in otherwise impossible places- it fits in the center of the RAV 4 and leaves the other seat useable for a narrow booster or RSTV, for instance! (See the 3 across thread or BB's FB page for pic.)

monstah

- is it something your LO can inflate by himself/herself?

I haven't had him try but he may be able to inflate it well enough.

- does it fit easily back into the stuff sack or is that what DH calls a "factory bag" (bag that can only fit the item when it's packed at the factory and then never again)?

I have a hard time with it. My DS can't deflate it or fit it into the bag. It sucks air in and reinflates itself. It's kind of annoying when trying to shove it into the carry bag. It fits, it can be a little annoying, but it fits.

- what's the longest ride your LO has taken in it and was it comfy enough for them

We took it to Disney and DS sat in it for 30+ minutes regularly with no complaints. The longest rides were an hour or more. With it being so short, he preferred to sit cross cross applesauce, his feet on the vehicle seat and was very happy he could do that.

Sent from my Nexus One using Car-Seat.Org

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
As others mentioned, it partially inflates itself due to the material inside. In fact, BubbleBum says it passes testing that way also. I would think an older kid could get it mostly inflated.

Most kids wont get it back into the bag easily. It requires a little time and effort to roll it without letting air back into it.

We used it for a week in Florida, but the longest trip was about 2 hours for our 6 year old.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/BubbleBum-Inflatable-Car-Booster-Seat/dp/B004YCVW8E/"]Amazon.com: BubbleBum Inflatable Car Booster Seat: Baby[/ame]

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
We used two of them side by side during a trip to Florida last month for no more than 20-30 minute drives at a time in a rental Corolla between hotel/airport/attractions, etc. We had some tipping that DD1 and DD2 quickly learned to counteract when going around corners or curving freeway ramps, and DD2 had difficulty extracting the seatbelt from the buckle side belt guide when unbuckling and exiting the vehicle. I haven't succeeded in fully deflating ours, not even by standing on them, lol, but could easily stuff two of them into a backpack while mostly inflated. The kids thought they were comfy and liked the semi-novelty, and DD2 liked the Bubble Bum better than the original version Ride Safer Travel Vest she used on a previous summer time Florida trip because she found the vest to be hot to don in the summer heat and humidity. I'd use them again in a heartbeat for travel and/or tight spots in vehicles.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, getting them fully deflated involves, for me, kneeling on it, rolling it, combination kneeling and rolling, and much opening and shutting of the valve while doing so.

tam_shops

Wasn't there one that was more of a backpack w/ hard plastic that didn't need inflating/deflating? NO idea if it was liked or well reviewed, I always liked the *idea* of the hard plastic one better b/c the child could set it up...

I don't think either is legal in Canada (yet) so haven't really looked into them...Hopefully someone else remembers seeing it. I think it was on the FB page of the car seat lady.

tam

tam_shops

Yeah, that's it, http://www.boostapak.com/home.html

Sorry! I emailed them way back when it was brought up and asked if/when it'd be in Canada, got a nice email from them pretty sure it implied that I could buy it now and they'd ship it to me. I didn't follow up b/c I'm not a rule breaker, such a shame that it's not tested here...it's a great idea!

tam

Morganthe

Thanks for the link, I was curious. Might consider it for future.
However, the stock photo with the little girl & giraffe is terrible. :thumbsdown:

I looked. Something is off or they're very limited use.:

•For ages 4 -12 yrs (15-36 KG or upto 135cm)

36 kilos is 79lbs.
135 cm = 53.15"

My dd measured 135 cm yesterday and will be 8 next week. She's about 62lbs. Sure, she's tall for her age, but 12 year olds loom over her. So unless they got the measurements incorrect on the page, it wouldn't be much use for a 8-12 year old kid, imo. :(

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
BubbleBum says you can ignore their height limit (well, they don't come out and say it but... they pretty much have all but said it a few times.) They do have an 80 lb. limit.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Has anyone w/a BubbleBum tried to put it into a backpack inflated? As long as it fits I think it would be a great solution for after school carpooling and field trips.

Heck, you could probably use a carabiner and attach it to the outside of the backpack, too.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
My post above mentions fitting two of them mostly inflated in a backpack when we weren't able to quickly deflate them while returning our rental car at the airport. :) I'd expect a single inflated one to fit pretty easily if the backpack wasn't already super packed with other items.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC